Identify this fish.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gregg H, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,125 / 4
    lol Awesome. Best post I've read in a while.
  2. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    this concludes that i am correct. squawfish.
  3. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Look at the tail, Coho, ho, ho, ho, but this observation is only from 44 years working the field, Super Dave aka (BDD) will back me up.;)
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Freaking AWESOME jackchinook!:rofl:

That's me, you got me man, you got me.
  5. Daniel Nelson BAMF

Minnesota
    shazzam!

its a honooktic.
  6. Zack Dudley Take em'

Port Orchard, Washington
    chinook for sureeeee
  7. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    "Identify" MORE PICS FOUND!!

Man, if it weren't for those gums, I'd be sure it's a chinook! The tail looks more 'nookie than coho . . .
  8. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Agree.
  9. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Just received emails from three different folks with letters following their names and Icthys specialization. I invited each to sign up to respond... Maybe they will.

Without coaching two said 100% Atlantic and for the reason I believe it is an Atlantic. The third is leaning heavy to Atlantic, but thinks it could conceivably be a chinook. All three said no on coho.

I refrained from guessing on the test photo because most of my texts include pyloric caeca as keying steps and I have difficulty counting them from the photo... I certainly think I know what it is, but am not in a guessing mood.
    art
  10. Brian Bayeur Sr. Member

Gig Harbor WA
  11. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    :rofl: Nice! :beer2:
  12. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    King - My opinion based on several decades of professional and personal experience in fish identification and research on salmon. I would never rely 100% on a single general coloration patten to identify a fish to species such a gumline color or spotting to identify fish to species when there is a reasonable doubt as to the answer based on the sum of all other information.

Based on a relatively poor photo: King because of the relatively small eye. King because of the spotting that is small groups of checkerboard rather than round spots. King because of the shape and heavy shoulders. I wish I could see the peduncle better, but it looks thick and heavy like a king. King because of the anal fin shape and color.

Atlantics tend to have large round spots on the cheek. Different build. Different MoJo.

My opinion. I could be wrong.
  13. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    With that new shot of the gums, I'm gonna say Chinook. Final answer.

Also, as a side note: AAAAGGGGHH! The Cougs coug'd the Gonzaga game.
    -Ethan
  14. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    hap, in all genuine curiosity, i am wondering what exactly are the points of evidence that shows it is an atlantic salmon? I see that in previous comments, you've illiminated chinook and coho by the lack of specific features but have not identified features that indicates atlantic salmon.

as someone who does not have any experience with Atlantic salmon, what are the indicators of atlantic salmon?
  15. Zack Dudley Take em'

Port Orchard, Washington
    haha ethen, my cousin and along with half of my highschool after they graduated ended up at the zoo, i was told when i go to a game, 1) get hammered 2) prepare to see them lose, if they win go party and the same goes for losing hahaha
  16. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Win or lose, Cougars booze.
    -Ethan
  17. Daniel Nelson BAMF

Minnesota
    7 pages with 96 post. cabin fever must be startin up out there eh?
  18. Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Ellensburg, Washington
    Swine fricken flu and finally upright,,,,,,
    ah yea there's the tail looks like it could be shiney and full of spots, can you say fresh KING SALMON, Chinook, whatever name you what to call them :thumb:
  19. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Yep. Even when you can go fishing, it's dark. Back to tying up articulated flies every night and drinking to the "good old days" (aka last month).
  20. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 2
    Art,

I am not questioning your 40 years of sport, commercial, and guiding in Alaska. Since you don't know me or anything I have done, I find it a little unassuming that you would know how much or how little time I have spent looking at schools of fish.

You base your decision on two photos, neither which provide any really good insight of the key areas for positive ID. I can assume your experience comes from looking at live fish, and their behavior. A photo is much different, as factors such as light, angle, water, shadow, and most of all, without a really good view of the dorsal and caudal fins, it can be confusing.

Let's look at this a little more objectively. California is much farther south than the historical range of Atlantic salmon. I would be very surprised to see an escapee travel that far south in the warmer ocean current. The likelihood of them reproducing on their own and returning to central California is pretty remote as well.

My experience with Atlantic salmon is limited but we did catch them regularly in SE Alaska while purse-seining. I would put them in a plastic garbage bag and ride my bike into Ketchikan to deliver them to the ADFG office. And Daryle can confirm that. :thumb: They had a couple things in common; their fins and body were worn down from spending considerable time in the net pens before escaping and they were relatively skinny, almost like they had trouble feeding once they escaped. The fish in question appears natural in origin; I don't detect any fin wear that you would associate with being a net pen escapee. And it doesn't look like it has missed too many meals.

I find it hard to believe that you are so sure of species despite the fact that the pictures did not show any defining characteristics, the one picture shows the fish mostly underwater (already discussed the problems with that photo for ID purposes), a majority of the folks on here thought differently (some even fishery-trained), you used conflicting arguments for your rationale, and finally, you posted some rather vague references that you thought proved your point which didn't prove anything.

Not trying to get into a pissing match here. I'm sure that you, I, and a majority of the folks on here could ID the fish in a heartbeat if the fish were in our hands. But it is a little more difficult with photos that don't clearly show the important details of the fish. By looking at the biological information and the fact that it doesn't look like a salar , I'd wager it is not an AS. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. :rofl:

Otherwise this has been a pretty cool thread. I like the "ID this fish" threads.

Attached are a few pics of Atlantic salmon we caught near Ketchikan, probably mid 90s. Not very good quality but better than nothing I guess. Good memories huh, Daryle?