If you could have one spey rod only...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Ooh , tough call . I`m really diggin` the CND Solstice 14'3'' I got from you , Leroy . It`s enough rod for the Thompson , but it will be interesting to see how it performs , should I be fortunate enough to hook one of the T`s big boys . It tosses a compact skagit pretty well , should I choose to go that route , but it becomes magic when I line it with a 7/8 Grandspey . But my Anderson 12 ft. , 3 weight trouter is one of those cold , dead , hands kind of things .

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Brian, how have you been buddy !
    Glad you are takeing good care of my lil girl up there!! Where's some more pics !!
    That Solstice 14'3" was, to date, one of my most enjoyable rods to cast . Such quick recovery, and lazer loops out of that girl-
    I here the 15' er is similar -

3. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

T&T 1307. Very versatile, not too long and light weight. Fishes well with several lines.

CS

4. TomB

TomB Active Member

Burkie 9143

5. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Scott Mackenzie's DTX 13ft 8wt, or the 14ft... or even the wee 12ft, not out in the US for another month or so, but has been a huge hit in the UK and on Speyside.

www.mackenzieflyfishing.com

Gordo.

6. Jim Arthur

Jim Arthur New Member

to quote the Notting Hillbillies...."this old hammer rings like silver,buddy but she shines like gold" my all time favorite rod.She might be a bit on the short side,but paired with the right line I'd feel confident on most waters with this one.Just an all around beautiful rod.
    Jim.

7. nohackle72

nohackle72 Member

Hey Leroy,

Yeah man, I'm on here too. Glad that No. 3 is workin' for ya. I'm going to have to say that up to this point, the GLX Greased Line series is my favorite. I haven't found anything they won't throw, I've got the 14' 8/9, 15' 7/8 and 15' 9/10. Running a close second would be the CND Black series, I've had two and would love to get my dirty mitt's on a Solstice to try at some point.

Rock out L-Daddy, cool thread!

8. kjsteelhead

kjsteelhead Member

I'm just getting into the spey game. Bought an Echo DH 13' 7wt. It was recommended to me, and so far I'm happy with it. Didn't want to go hog wild $ with the first rod until I become good enough to know what I really like. Sort of like buying the $30 Cortland glass rod and Pflueger reel 35 years ago, when I first started fly fishing. In spite of Salmo G's (Cliff Claven) little tiff, I'm glad you started the thread, too, Leroy. It's nice to be able to see what folks who've been at a while like, and why they like it.

9. Dave Henry

Dave Henry Member

Home Page:
    I would get a Meiser Steelmaster Conversion rod. This way I would have a 7/8 switch rod and a 13'9 7/8 spey. This would cover 90% of the fishing I would do. I would add an Abel Super9 with a Super11 spool.