If you could only buy 12 flies for steelhead??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by J Nordwell, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Hmmm. Just a note back there in my admittadly failing memory banks about how many old timers there were that fished the U.S. and thats it. Day in and day and caught fish . Now that I am back down here, and I can only have 12, I would go with that and the Intruders or type of. The fly I fish and dress is similar to those but tyed with some different materials, but certainly along the same lines of. 'Course we used to only fish floating lines and smaller patterns and still caught fish, now we atleast seem to need to get deeper, how deep is debated for sure, and use much larger flies as a rule, or should we say huge???? Some of the "whys" kind of referred to here are parts of many ongoing studies.Why won't the fish in the Umpqua not come up to a fly so readily anymore. Pressure? Some say to a degree there is less pressure now on the fish than then there. I saw some of that this fall on the smaller streams here in the valley. Fish that used to move to a swung crickdaddie pattern now don't

It does seem basic black and primarily black flies are fished more up there though, especially in winter. See? another why? Maybe a couple.

2. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I typically only buy about a dozen steelhead flies. That is largely a budgetary constraint. Trouble is, I make multiple return trips for another dozen or so flies. As I have told Clark and Anil a number of times, it would be cheaper to adopt them...

I like black and purple marabou...I like tinsel and flash...I caught a fly on a waking dragonfly once, so I have to have one of them, and a bomber. I have to have egg patterns, although I have not caught with them (I heard somebody did, once...). After reading the nymph thread, I now have beadhead prince nymphs as well. My flies catch fishermen (me), rarely fish, but that doesn't seem to impact either my catch ratio or my enjoyment factor.

This isn't as flippant an answer as it sounds. When I buy or tie a fly, it is with the specific intention that it will be THE one that does the trick, a feeling repeated when I leave it on the bottom or in a tree. My own private theory is that any fly fished well at the right time and place will take a fish...and the right fly at the wrong time and/or place won't. Confidence in what is tied on the end of my line translates to more time on/in the water, which, I think, increases the odds.

But then again, what do I know? I had to read this thread to find out for myself. I do know this, my top 12 will probably change every year, if not every trip. (Adult ADD and short attention span issues...)

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I get 12 size 6 weigted egg sucking leaches

4. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    A black bunny leech or egg sucking bunny leech is hard to beat, about 5" for off-color situations and 3" for clearer water. 99% of the time when I'm fishing the swing for steelhead I'm using a black bunny leech with blue flash and a kingfisher schlappen collar.

For summer runs I would get some simple #4's or #6's like silver hiltons, green butt skunks, or polar shrimp. Get a couple wakers like a moose turd if you want to try skating for summer runs.

I fish on the "dark side" with glo-bugs in the winter a fair bit in really off color water. Bigger is better the more the water is on the tan side vs. green. I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for this, but if I was starting someone out and just wanted to give them confidence that they can catch steelhead, I would take them on a drift boat trip and have them side-drift glo-bugs under an indicator. Not very elegant but absolutely the most effective way I've ever seen to catch a steelhead.

So, to sum up, I would buy 4 black bunny leeches with stinger hooks probably about a size 1, and 8 glo bugs size 6 for winter fishing. I might just be tempted to buy a dozen glo bugs and forget the leeches if the rivers were on the high side.

For summer runs I'd get a dozen mixed #4's including skunks, silver hiltons, and polar shrimp, and maybe a waker or two. If I was fishing in Oregon on N. CA I might add a couple assassins or brindle bugs.

5. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    SIZE 12 GRHE WITH A SZ 18 BLACK CADDIS
    THIS COMBO HAS CAUGHT ME THE TWO BIGGEST FISH ON THE WASHOUGAL.
    FIRST WAS A 22" STEEL ON THE GRHE, AND THEN THIS SUMMER I HAD ON A MONSTER (30+") ON MY BLACK CADDIS.
    I WAS ONLY GOING FOR TROUT AND JUST HAD 3LB TIPPET THOUGH SO HE BROKE ME OFF.

SHOOT ME A LINE IF YOU WANT SOME ONE TO FISH WITH ON THE 'SHOUG.

TY