If you could only own one sinking tip for Steelhead...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by j herald, Jan 8, 2007.

1. j herald

j herald New Member

...what would your favorite sink rate be, and what brand would you prefer? I currently have a Rio Grand floating line, a Rio Outbound floating line, and an Airflo intermediate sinking line - all used mainly for salmon and SRCs off the beach, and less often (sadly) out of rivers. I need to add a good all around sink tip to this collection as I focus on steelhead this season.

From what I have read on this forum about the versa-tip concept, combined with my own philospophy about technology attempting to cover lots of bases but ultimately not covering any well, I am not inclined to head in that direction. I realize that a variety of sink tips is the best way to cover all conditions, but for now I want to buy one that will satisfy the majority of situations I am likely to encounter. Hep me, if you will!

2. softwaterstructure

softwaterstructure Banned or Parked

nevermind the fact that over the years, many a qualified, skilled and
    'in the know' PNW steelheader cut, chopped, spliced and looped various pieces of floating this and sinking that to create their own multi-tip long before they were ever commercially available. it is not technology attempting to cover lots of bases but technology allowing for the mass production of what many created in their own garage.

but if you are so inclined to limit yourself to one sinktip purchase the sa wet tip IV. it is a classic.

3. sashjo

sashjo Member

Cortland 444 Sl QD 425 gr

4. otter

otter Banned or Parked

.......I buy rios and let the fishing take care of the rest.........

otter

5. softwaterstructure

:eek: :eek: im assuming you lose a fair amount of flies during a day on the water.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I if I had to have one tip, it would definately be a type III.

7. djzaro

djzaro New Member

Teeny 200

8. I have the Teeny 200 and the SA Type III, They are totally for different situations, I think you can't just buy one and expect it to do all. If you are then stay with a floating line and make adjustments.
    Frank.
    Buy an extra spool when you get some money and buy the one that fits your favorite river, if the NF Stilly go with the SA Type III. Later take the floating off and try a larger river with the Teeny 200.
    That's not the way I did it, but hey only so many of us can walk in thinking of getting some flies and walk out several hundreds of dollars later. :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:
    Thanks for reminding me! SH1T! :mad:

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

For a single hander rod, I'd agree. For a 2-hander the 10' RIO 'extra fast sinking' poly-leader. You can increase the 'sink rate' on either by adding a weighted fly for greater depth.

10. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Type III will cover just about 90% of all rivers in the NW. If its still not heavy enough, add a weighted fly along with it, simple as that.

Make sure you get a density compensated sink tip.

11. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Rio Type III. If I need deaper I just cast farther up stream.

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

Rio or SA type III ...adjust depths/situation with weight of the flies.

13. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

I usually fish a type VI although there are certainly situations where that is overkill in which case a type III or IV does the job nicely.
    Will

14. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

One thing to keep in mind, which was touched on a little bit above: you can always have a lighter tip for a piece of water and add a weighted fly to get down to where it needs to be. I feel this is a much better approach than increasing your angle and swinging the fly faster as you would with a real dredger. I really feel that a slow swing is important at any time of the year; less so in the summer but still as slow as possible in almost all cases. I will fish a hole, get my fly swinging and think, “Damn, this holes fishes great” and the fly feels like it is being sucked down and is “stuck” dangling near the bottom; it is amazing how often I get a fish in those perfect-swinging-waters. Anyway, too heavy a line and your line won’t get literally carried by those slow swinging waters (think suspension but under water), it will punch through to the bottom unless you compensate by swinging faster which as I said is a counter-productive approach, especially this time of year. So I would go with something that sinks medium to fast in a length of 8-10 feet. All the dredger lines claim BS like “Gets you down to the fish!” et cetera. THIS IS BS BS BS! If you know how to find steelhead waters and what they look like, they really aren’t very deep at all, you should have no problem covering them with a medium to fast tip in the 8-10 range and if you need a little more, add a weighted fly. It is simple. Most people tend to fish too deep. If you feel your fly ticking it is too deep.…..I have said too much already.

15. j herald

j herald New Member

as I hoped (and expected), you guys have dished out some great advice.
    Thanks everyone.:thumb:

16. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

how bout a versi tip line and just get one or 2 tips to start with

17. sashjo

sashjo Member

STS,
    That 425 gr line is a pleasure to cast. I only lost a handful of flies last week. I lost a boxful by nymphing with a floating line the week before. I really don't care if I lose a fly and at least my fly is getting to the bottom of the river where it needs to be to catch fish.

18. fishkisser99

fishkisser99 Member

Wow, one sink tip? Even given the excellent advice posted here, I'm not certain...

softwaterstructure has a good point...learn to build your own. After all, attaching a loop connector is no more difficult than tying a decent muddler. Easier, even...

Really, it's the line that catches the fish--not the fly. If you're to match the sink to the water you're fishing, it is more important to have a variety of tips than it is to have a variety of flies.

I carry a spool with a dry line, mostly for top- and greased-line presentations, occasionally used for nymphing, as well as a spool or two with a floating belly and running line, with a loop connector for different tips. Length and weight of the tip are determined by the rod being used, and the water being fished. Given the cost of pre-built sinktips and their (limited, unfortunately, sometimes) longevity, I deemed it appropriate to buy in bulk and make my own: just because the prepared tips are sold in 15' lengths doesn't mean they work best that way, given any stretch of water. Build a 20'. Build a 5'. Summer? Get on those clear intermediates. Fishing fast water a lot? Look into a leadcore tip to your type III.

"Steelhead Fly Fishing and Filies" by Trey Combs is an excellent place to start...and read everything available on Dickson's website. It ain't so much the size of your wand as it is the way you wave it...

...and whatever line, I hope you keep it tight--

19. softwaterstructure

i only lost a handful of flies all of last winter. you don't need to be on the bottom to catch fish.

20. Denny

Denny Active Member

Get a multi-tip line. Although it is a little spendy, it comes with 4 or more tips, which would be the equivalent to 4 lines (about $200 or more). And, you don't have to have 4 spools; one spool will work for you, so you save money on the 3 spools.

With this base setup, you can purchase other shooting heads and/or line like Cortland LC-13 to customize and add additional heads to the system.

I have a 5, 7, and 9 weight multi-tip lines, and they are very useful.