If you had to pick two and only two...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by plecoptera419, Sep 29, 2013.

1. plecoptera419 Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I was reading through Daniel Oceans, "A Rookies Log" thread last night.

Based on one posters advice to pick two fly patterns, one dark colored pattern and one light colored pattern and stick with them which two patterns would be your top picks?
  2. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +649 / 0
    If I had to do it all over again, I would do the hobo spey in both light and dark patterns. However, because I now tie my own flies, it is pretty stupid how many color variations I have in my box now.
  3. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,074 / 0
    Summer flies?

Dark: Bennett's Last Light (this is like cocaine for steelhead)
    Light: General Practitioner

Disclaimer: I've only caught fish on 4 flies so what do I know
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +775 / 0

I say something different every time someone asks this. Right now it would be a yellow and orange marabou tube with a gold cone and dark....something purple?
  5. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    Interesting.....

flesh fly

space creature...purple and black with chartrues head and legs.

Thing is I mite change my mind on wednesday ????
  6. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +555 / 0
    If this were summer runs, I'd pick an octotber caddis to be fished both dry (riffle hitched) and wet. So basically orange body w/elk hair wing and head. I'd also have an ESL wooly bugger style for tips.

The game has little to do w/ flies. It's about being where fish are and presenting the fly. Flies matter little.

Go Sx,
    cds
    Irafly and Chris Johnson like this.
  7. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +431 / 0
    Purple articulated leech, and a Skunk (not a Green Butt)
  8. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
  9. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +489 / 0
    I'm hardly an authority but this is my view as well. The past few weeks have been the first time I've had steady action when steel heading and the fly hasn't mattered. Over the past two weeks I've had fish on a blue charm, rusty rat, cosseboom (all traditional salmon flies I think) and some chartreuse and black marabou popsicle variant, all in the same 50 yard run. I suppose I really like how the blue charm looks so I might pick that as one of the two and marabou is super cheap so I'd go that route for the second fly.
  10. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    [quote="Dave Kaiserman, post: 873880, member: 16795" and a Skunk (not a Green Butt)[/quote]
    A Green Butt would be my choice for a dark pattern , and if the water was low and clear , I`d want it to be the Inland version .
    If I could get away with calling a Lady Caroline a light colored pattern , I`d go with that one - if not - an orange muddler .

It warms my heart to see that nobody has chosen an intruder .
    Yet .
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  11. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    dick nite spoon and heavi beads
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +434 / 0
    Dark fly: Charlie Brooks Montana Stone size 4 or 2

Light fly: Skykomish Sunrise size 6 or 4
  13. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    Black and chartruese pick yer pocket and a prince nymph.
  14. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +431 / 0
    I had forgotten my best success lately (on the swing) had been a 'pick yer pocket' until Blake posted.

Honestly.... I had no idea what the name of the fly was until now.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  15. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Blue n black Hoh bo spey
    Steelhead Muddler
  16. plecoptera419 Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    This is quite interesting. The reason why I asked was that yesterday I set out to tie up some new patterns for the S river boxes. I had the idea in mind that I would pick two patterns, one light, and one dark. Well I wound up spending most of my day trying to narrow it down to two patterns and really got not much done. Just thought I would see if the brain trust could help me narrow it down.

And yes I very much understand it isn't about the flies so much. That is unless the rivers are blown out and I'm looking for something to do.
  17. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    I'll amend my post for woolly buggers AND squidros.
  18. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Winter fish....
    Dark - Black or purple egg sucking leech with a chartreuse head
    Light - Light pink bunny Moal
  19. Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Summer: Steelhead muddler and Undertaker
    Winter: My own big black and blue hair wing, and a red and orange marabou spey

Jim B.
  20. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,688 / 0
    I don't think the question makes sense. Well maybe it does if the point is to avoid obsessing about carrying 100 different steelhead fly patterns as if that's gonna' be the key to your success. Rather than picking two different fly patterns, I think the steelhead angler may be better served by having two contrastingly different flies, as in say, a large fly and a small fly. That makes far more sense than choosing between a Winter's Hope, Fall Favorite, and an Egg-Sucking Leech. In that context I'll bring my summer run box, mostly full of Spades in size 6 and a zip lock of marabou streamers, but they're not all the same color. Does that mean they are different patterns? The downside of being restricted to two is that I would have to fore go a waking dry fly, and that just doesn't make sense at this time of the year.

Sg