If you only had one fly outfit...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Oh Gawwd...to be so young and with life so simple again.....sighhhh!

Enjoy it while ya got it, Arthur!

Jc :)

2. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Fenwick fiberglass 8' 7/8 wt with US Made Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 reel, SA Bass taper 8wt floating line, 30lb heavier dacron backing, and custom built leaders of Maxima Chameleon and/or Ultragreen.

This rod is soft and light enough for pond bluegills but has enough backbone for westcoast salmon and steelhead or eastcoast stripers. If you took your time, you could probably still get the whole shebang on eBay for about $100.

I would miss my other rods though.

Randy

3. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

A smooth casting do-it-all rod and a simple workhorse reel. 8' 5wt Constable, Empress, Hardy Marquis 6. Cortland 444 peach or 555 DynaTip line.

TC

4. Mark Greenwood

Mark Greenwood Member

Freshwater favorite: Sage XP590, Galvan OB-4, and assorted Rio lines.

5. Joseph Freeman

Joseph Freeman dUMB aRKiE

My 8"6' 6wt Granger Champion. and my pfleuger 1594. Lots of backbone,and plenty of backing. Cortland 444 Sylk, cause it casts so good with Bamboo.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    BfJack, interesting theory, but officially not a viable theory.:D As for someone willing to trade, I'm always interested in seeing what is out there. I have amassed a bit of stuff and it sure is better for me when I can honestly {yes honestly} tell the mrs that I got this for one of my rods, reels, combo or something. She likes that it is cheaper than me just buying all the stuff I want but don't really need. Although it does keep her from having any major argument point...so it becomes..."you spend so much on postage and the damn USPS courier does not even bring our packages to our house".

Also astute Kent, but I'm pretty sure she is totally afraid to even consider entering the "shit pile" where all my fly rods, camping gear and snowboards live in my man cave of a destroyed cellar. Besides, when she has said MBA I should be able to buy more stuff, right?

Actually, there was no hidden plan, I was just curious. Having had only one rod a long time ago, a Cabelas starter 5wt and I think a Cahill II reel I've filled the quiver with a lot of things. When I survey them I don't have that mystical connection yet with any one of them, but there are a few that I really like. Today I did use a recently acquired custom 4wt to land a nice, fat, bright 24" stocker rainbow in a tough lake. That was pretty sweet.
    :beer2:

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Did you catch that 24" wearing a pair of full flexing progressive action Donald Plinar shoes? :) :beer2:

8. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

mumbles, is your wife making you get rid of all your stuff?
    is so, that sucks
    i don't know what my ideal outfit would be

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Porter, WTF? I have no idea what the hell kind of shoes those were. I was wearing my Korkers guide boots and Omega Navigator fins.

No, everyone wants to read something into this. It is just a question between fishing outings. Actually I've been selling some of my backup rods because I have not fished many of them in some time. I have enough at each weight that I don't need to go two or three deep at any weight. Why Colton, are you in the market for one of my backup rods? I'm not selling any primaries. Often I can get enough for the sale of one to buy another reel or something I want. Call it a bit of self sustainabilty in my constant quest for more fishing gear.

10. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Ed, I commend you on your effort to reduce your "graphite footprint" and properly manage you sporting possessions. Yes, most of us must live within certain financial/relationship boundaries which helps (in some ways) limit our play closet expansion. However I have not matured to the same place as you just yet. Since my gearhead addictions are still in control, I must respectfully decline to answer your question.
    P.S. This thread has scared the hell out of some of my rods. I'll have to spend the rest of today reassuring them.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    I'm attempting to sell three that see little use in my collection...and if successful might buy one that I've got my eye on. That is downsizing...

I still have a few gear rods, but they have not seen any use at all in a long time. Maybe I should sell them.

12. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

you shouldnt try to sell them on here, you might get slapped with a rod

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Easy there sparky, you better meet me before you start thinking you're gonna slap me with a rod. There have been some spinning gear sales in our classifieds, but I don't think that I'll go that route. I've got some decent stuff that will do well for the occasional non fly fishing guests and for my girls as they grow into the sport. I'd rather have them fishing spining gear than not fishing. Eventually they might like the fly.

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Loomis GLX 6 weight classic (or comparable Streamdance HLS). Over ten years old, cutting edge then and still class leader, and outcasts newer models from other manufacturers. Super light (2.9 ounces), medium fast action that is sensitive and casts needle sharp loops, yet is forgiving to the user.

Sage 2560 or Galvan T-6 reel.

Scientific Angler Mastery lines.

15. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Don't sell your gear rods Mumbles. Good equipment is like money in the bank. You never know when you will need to make a withdrawal in the future, right?

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Great point Jeremy. They are not hurting anything in the corner of my garage. Besides my friends dad visits a few times a year from MT and is always welcome to use my gear.

17. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

My favorite fly fishing outfit is the floral print mini with the red synthetic t-shirt. Add a pair of Crocs or Keens for wet wading and I'm all set. :thumb:

18. Ed Call

Media:
    Now that is a true "Trail Blazer" outfit for sure. I love the sense of humor, but in all that well thought out outer and footwear I think you forgot your fly rod.

19. Schemy

Schemy Member

Media:
    I'd have to go with an 8' 4pc 3wt pak rod. Love the little mountain streams.

20. Nolan

Nolan New Member

My go to rod would be a new one. Grey's Streamflex 10ft 4wt. Ross Reel with Rio Line.