If you were to buy one spey rod, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sam Matulich, May 1, 2012.

1. Sam Matulich

Sam Matulich New Member

I know everyone is going to have their own opinion and that is just want I want to hear. I am very interested in spey fishing, mostly for steelhead, but would love to hook into some chinook, coho and chum as well. I want to be able to cast heavy set ups (sink tip and weighted flies, but also some grease lining). I am will to spend up to $700 on a complete set up (I have a reel that would work, but I would need line(s)) so mostly looking at droping some coin into a rod.
    Okay, so if you were to buy just one spey rod what would it be?

2. Do exactly as I did; call Bob Meiser & tell him what kind of fishing I do. He will question you pretty thoroughly and make a recommendation.
    I got a rod and intergrated head/line for your budget (less than a new Sage or other premium mark).

3. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

One Spey rod!!?? The hell!

OK,theoretically I'd get the Meiser Highlander Classic fourteen foot 7/8/9 and match it with a Next Cast winter authority 55 9/10. A close second choice would be the T&T 1409-3.

Back here in the real world... I'd just keep my trusty 'ol Echo Classic 9140 with the same line.

If I was on a budget and looking for a new rod to do it all, it's probably be the TFO Deer Creek 9140.--AJ

4. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Sage z-axis 7136-4

SanFranFlyFish likes this.
  5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

If you've never been spey fishing before, I'd plunk the coin on something cheap, and save the rest for lessons. There isn't a rod that is perfect for anyone, and spending $700 on a rod without having some experience is a waste. If you've got $700 that is entirely disposable, then Burkheimer would be my choice, though his rods weigh in at around $725 or so. But honestly I would stick to something like a TFO Deer Creek or Echo (Classic or TR) until you have more of an idea of what you like. Trust me, I used to think I liked super tippy rods and now I'm in a fast recovery/progressive kind of guy....

John Hicks and Steelie Mike like this.
  6. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

You beat me to it...100% agreement.

7. JS

JS Active Member

Word. My favorite two hander by far. I've thrown everything from dries to 5 inch intruders with that thing, Scandi, Skagit, Longbelly, that rod does it all. I have not thrown any mid-spey lines or delta heads with it, but I would imagine it bombs those too.

8. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Deer Creek 15 8/9
    550 Rio Skagit Flight for winter
    Carron 75 9/10 for a Dry line

Its kind of big, but you mentioned Kings.

shawn k likes this.
  9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I agree with James; go with an upper end cheap rod and spend the rest on a nice reel and a lesson. If I were in your shoes I'd get a Echo TR---- great versatile rod.

Btw, has it become the standard response to recommended a Meiser when someone asks for the "best" rod. Its almost knee jerk on this site. There are a lot of great custom and commercial rods out there. Very little mention of Burkies. If I had $1000.00 to spend on a rod it definitely wouldn't be spent on a Meiser...sorry.

Steelie Mike likes this.
  10. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

In that price range, I'll knee jerk it too. Call Bob.

I had the opportunity to cast a Greys' GRXi+, 13' 8wt. It cast very well for a rod in that less expensive price range. I agree that a lesser priced rod and lessons would go a long way starting out.

Figure on $150-200 getting running line, lines and tips.

I'll also add that an instructor with have several different rods for you to cast. Take a couple of lessons and try 'em out.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

If you don't have your own opinion, the most valuable opinions offered to you are those suggesting you just buy a cheap rod (any basic 13' 7/8 wt) and spend the rest on lessons until you develop your own preferences about what you like in a Spey rod. Then you'll be able to make an informed selection, something you won't be able to do no matter how many replies and suggestions you get in this thread.

Sg

SanFranFlyFish and JesseCFowl like this.
  12. abobrien

abobrien Alex O'Brien

Z-Axis 8129 it is a great fit for the waters I fish and my casting stroke it can throw tips and junk as well as make super tight wind cutting cast with a scandi head

13. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

The question wasn't what "He should buy" but what "We would buy if we could only have "One" spey rod.

I think this question has lots of merit in deciding what he wants to try...Though to have real value an and "Why? needs to be asked.

For example: I stated the 7136z not because it's the best rod, but the most versital for my type of fishing, Sage has excellent warranty service...no matter how long you own the rod, it's beautiful, commonly available, and in my opinion in the top 5 of best 13' -14' 7wts a person can buy...perhaps even top three.

14. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

15. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I would get a Beulah, Classic 12'7 7/8

16. mammoth spey

mammoth spey New Member

How big is the water your going to fish most of the time? that will play into your decision a lot. and do you want to hook that Chinook or actually land it? don't discount the price and importance of the line, a line that's not right for the best rod in the world will make that rod feel lousy.
    Terry

17. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I scored a TCX 7126 (aka Deathstar) used for $500. It's a premium rod that I'd go out on a limb and say is better than the Zaxis. Spend the rest on lessons (invaluable) an echo ion reel (cheap and reliable $100) and a couple of lines ($50 ea). Save yourself some frustration and just get 10ft sections of t-8,11,14. ($10 each if you tie your own loops)

18. Sam Matulich

Sam Matulich New Member

I like all the replies. Yes, I agree that spending some of the money on a good inexpensive rod and the rest on quality lessons is going to be a great way to go.
    The reel that I am going to use is a Ross Momentum 5, holds about 250yards of backing plus the 9wt Rio Atlantic salmon/Steelhead taper line, would guess that this is more than enough reel for spey lines. I do have two spools so I could go running line integrated with the skagit/scandi head and set up two spools, or just use one spool and have a separate running line and skagit/scandi heads.
    I am planning on getting out to Fall City at least one of these weekends to check out the 'day on the water' and start to get a feel for spey rods in general. Sounds like there are many to choose from which is great.
    BTW, I already have a switch rod that I have been playing with in the past couple of months (Beulah Platinum 7wt). It is fun, but not the easiest to learn spey casting with.

flybill likes this.
  19. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

+1 for cheap rod and lessons. James Mellow and I are best friends and fish a fuck-ton together. We both swing flies exclusively skandi summer, skagit winter. If you asked us what is the best rod we would have polar opposite replies. I hate his rods (way too soft) He thinks mine are too fast.

Different strokes.....

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Back in the day we all fished each other's rods. Everybody had something different and everybody built thier lines a bit different. It was a great time in the 2 handed world. Lots of stuff to try and everyone enjoyed what the other guy was trying to do. Now, you ask a question on a board and get a 100 different answers. None of which means a damn thing because you don't have it in your hands. Go to the river, makes some friends and try their setups. You will figure out which ones are right for you. And you will still get all of the different opinions but now they will be standing in the water next to you where what they say might actually mean something.