If you were to buy one spey rod, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sam Matulich, May 1, 2012.

1. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    John, if my best friend spelled my last name wrong I'd grab his stiff rod and beat him with it. Totally not bromantical!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Don't buy one. Go to a day on the river clinic and try anything and everything that is there. If you find one, two or ten that you feel comfortable casting, then start asking the owner what the rod's capabilities are. Based on your target species and your ability to cast the rods you should soon find a few options. A cheap rod does NOT mean that it does not perform well. Less expensive rods often may be of heavier construction, made outside of the USA or are from lesser known or marketed companies. If you find the rods too heavy, you may find yourself needing a state of the art high tech rod that is made of ligher materials or processing. The more you try the more you will find the one or ones best suited for you. The ones that work for someone else may be the last thing that will work for you.

kamishak steve likes this.
  3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

buy a used burkheimer... there is a great 8 wt for sale on the spey pages right now..

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    That's like telling a 16 year old kid to go to the race track and report back on what his favorite exotic car was. Basically buy a decent rod and a bunch of lessons. You'll be buying a second rod in a year based on learned preference. There's not much avoiding it :D

5. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    gotta agree with mumbles on this one. Get some lessons, figure out what your style is a little bit, maybe even buy a cheap one (cheap does not necessarily mean bad, Echos/TFo's a great sticks) and learn to cast. It's sort of like asking someone to pick your favourite scotch for you when you've never had a sip of alcohol. Until you know what you like a little bit, and you've gotten drunk a few times on the cheap stuff, you really don't know what to look for in the expensive end of things.You're going to get a lot of varied opinions because a lot of guys on here have been drinking scotch for a long time and very specific tastes. metaphorically speaking of course...:D

SanFranFlyFish and Ed Call like this.
  6. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    I disagree. Just use your gut and pick one you think looks the sexiest and has the coolest name. Then learn how to use it. They all work.

7. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I'd get the Beulah Platinum 12'4 #8

8. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    I would run your question by Poppy at the Red Shed. He puts together affordable packages that are very high quality. I also agree with Ed to try and make a spey clave if you can. The rod makers are usually there, they are great guys, and will let you try their gear out and offer a few tips and suggestions on casting and gear.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    The Sandy Spey Clave is later this month, and every rod under the sun will probably be there to try. And numerous experts to help you out. Probably the best weekend a Spey newbie could spend.

Sg

10. Sam Matulich

Sam Matulich New Member

That sounds like a great opportunity. I will see what my work schedule is like, but I am really considering heading down for a couple days. Thanks for the heads up.

11. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Hopefully that is tongue in cheek. That's like saying the coolest car you can find cause they all work. Unfortunately if you find you like Diesel trunks and bought a Mini, you'll be kinda screwed.

12. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Never thought much about the spelling of my friend's last names. Then again, I always Butcher Davidcheck, Chau, Gershgoren, I guess it comes with the shitty spelling abilities.

13. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    That depends on how you look at it. You'd save enough money in gas to buy a second Spey Rod or some lessons.

14. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    AWESOME! I almost spit coffee all over the keyboard i laughed so hard. hilarious.

15. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

One rod and one rod only? For big tips or a floating line? Hmmm. 13ft or 13ft 6in MKS 7/8 for steel-8/9 in the 13'6" for kings.
    As second place finish w/a lower price point if that was a concern of mine. 8133-4 redington CPX.
    Thats a 4 bill rod that will do it all. And will cast with them all.
    Bout an oz. heavier than I like tho. Great rod to throw on a plane and not worry too much
    ifn it becomes a 7 piece upon arrival of yer destination.

16. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    There is a lot of Truth to your statement Brady, weather it was tongue and check or not. The fact is, who really knows what feels good when they are just starting? It all feels a little funky, not knowing how to cast. The rod you tend to like is the one you learned on. I learned on a VT2 and a Z Axis, therefore I developed a liking for faster rods, especially since I started with short lines. As I've developed as a caster I've slowly changed to longer rods and lines. The statement "You have to cast a bunch of rods to find what you like" is really not true when first learning. Get some experience, behind a well balanced system, buy a few cheap or used rods and before you know it, you'll be like most of us and have 5 - 10 spey rods with a favorite for every occasion.

In the last three weeks I've spent sometime behind a Burkie. I've never had a desire to own one because I've heard they are mid flexing rods. Since I started with a moderately fast rod I thought it wasn't for me. I'm now a changed man! Once I got the timing right, it was like I unlocked the sweetest rod ever built. I've cast a lot of differnet rods and have been impressed in the past, but the 15'3" 9/10/11 Burkheimer took me to another level of spey casting satisfaction.

I'm a firm believer that you have to give a rod what it wants, it's not the other way around.

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  17. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

Red Fly shop in ellensburg/yakima has both the echo and the TFO spey rod complete set up with line/reel/rod for 500 or 600. I bought my echo sr complete package from them with echo ion reel, rio versitip line, running line, backing from them for 500. They have both switch and spey setups. www.redsflyshop.com. No shipping and tax included in price

18. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I want that rod so bad it hurts.

As for a first rod, just get the line right. I tried to learn with one of the old mid-spey lines. I hated it so much I gave up on spey casting for several years. I finally bought a skagit line and I got the hang of it. Lessons and the right line. It really doesn't matter which rod you get.

19. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    I love my 12ft 510 Pieroway! If I could only have one, that would probably be it.

20. SSPey

SSPey Member

james, have you spent time with beginners, handing them a series of properly lined rods back-to-back, to gauge their level of satisfaction or preference for different setups?

I've found that even complete beginners can have a strong preference for rod "A" over rod "B" right from the start, their first time handling one. They may diversify or change preferences down the road, sure. However, if they start initially on a rod they've chosen over others, then they're more likely to stick with it, not blame the rod, and get through the initial frustration that sometimes comes with learning. They key is to try rods back-to-back, not across multiple days. Too many beginners buy a rod recommended on the interwebs or by a flyshop, yet which turns out to be completely ill-suited to their inherent casting stroke preferences. Even a beginner can avoid that pitfall by simply trying 2-3 rods back-to-back and choosing their favorite among them.

yuhina and Steelie Mike like this.