If you were to buy one spey rod, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sam Matulich, May 1, 2012.

1. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

I totally agree!

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

same here!!

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Wholeheartedly agree. I'm still of the opinion to keep the cost down to what you consider disposable $$$ though :)

4. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

I don't buy that reasoning...Okay maybe a little bit, sometimes!

Most, given a choice are going to pick the more expensive rod, or the big name they've heard of, "it's expensive or it's Sage... it's gotta be good" reasoning.

I would be willing to agree if you took James Mello's opinion into account, by finding out what the New Caster's budget is, grabbing 4 to 5 rods that meet that budget, then line them all right in the middle of their prospective gain windows with same line type and brand. Maybe even cover the branding and specs. then the caster has a fair shot at picking something that feels better to him/her. Rod "A" and "B" with different line types in different areas of the grain window would be a skewed comparison as the caster is responding to the set up, not the rod. It could easily be the other way around should the set ups change.

I still hold fast to the belief, it's more important to get a balanced set up, get some skill and let your experience guide you.

Anyway, shopping/researching gear is all part of the experience, enjoy it no matter how you go about it.

James.

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I just ordered a Sage TCX 7126 and am waiting for arrival. I get my lessons free from Aaron Reimer on the Saturday "Day on the River". I have to share with other guys but the price is right and the instruction is good. I put my $ into the equipment and will continue the lessons as long as I have to to get the correct strkes down.

6. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I believe most new spey casters tend to gravitate towards rods that have a similar action to rods they prefer in single hand rods .

7. inland

inland Active Member

Problem solved. 8133 Burkie for sale in the speypages classifieds. Plenty left over for a lesson and lines. It won't last long....

8. James Mello

Wow, I can't think of a worse rod to start with as a beginner!!!! But it's definitely awesome that you've been doing Aarons classes. He's a hell of a teacher, and I wished I could get up there more

TallFlyGuy and Steelie Mike like this.
  9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

James, curious why you think th 7126 is not a good rod for a beginner? I have never cast one so only looking to hear your opinion.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

That TCX has no room for error, which is why its either a great rod or worthless depending on who's holding it. You have to adapt to its action to make it fire.

11. James Mello

Stiff as a fire poker. Super tippy action, and because of this, it's pretty non-forgiving.... Throws Scandi and a 550+ Skagit like a mofo though.

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Yeah, the TCX was termed the "Death Star" rod. Very Fast and Very Critical rod. Not one I would ever recommend to someone new!!!! The Echo DH rod (Dec Hogan) 7wt rod or the Echo SOLO 7wt would be two rods I would let a beginner play with.... Then I would line it a little on the heavy side with a scandi or skagit line.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Some good advice above, and one man's fav rod may be the next man's poison. That aside the one thing I'd strongly recommend is YOU DON'T get a first rod longer than 14 foot. 13'6'' even better. Long rods can be very tiring to even fish and 95% of the time totally un-neccessary unless you really need to hurl line. And for Steelhead that's not all that often unless you're already danged good at tending a long line after the cast. As a newbie .... you won't for some period of time.

Thing to keep in mind is most Adrom-fish here in the PNW are 'bank hugger's' if given the choice. Vast majority of fish I've ever hooked were within 50 of my toes.

Just my per-opine.

fae

14. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

15. Steve Saville

The 7126 is not my first rod. I've had several other and still have one other spey rod, a TCX 9140 and a Z-Axis 5 wt switch. I sold 4 other spey rods recently so I could get the 7126 and at the Spey Clave I was able to find the pefect line for me to use on the rod; a 540 Airflo Switch line with a 15 ft. intermediate clear tip. It works pretty well for me and now I just have to practice so I can get used to casting it on a regular basis, just like any other rod.

16. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Not a spey but the one I have now. It is a 11' 7wt fiberglass switch that can handle trout to winter steelhead where I fish and everything inbetween.

17. Steve Saville

I'll agree that the TCX is pretty stiff but given the right line, it casts beautifully. It took some time to find that line but when I got the correct one, it made all the difference. Lessons are not only for beginners, by the way. Sometimes the best casters get into bad habits. While I'm not the best, I can get the fly where I want it. I take the lessons to get better at what I do and I am getting better. I also take the lessons to learn the opposite hand and when I have someone like Aaron watching it cuts down the learning curve immensly. Plus it doesn't hurt to have someone nagging at you to choose one rod only and master it. In essence, that the process I am working through.

18. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

you are dreaming. it is like having one girlfriend. no way. mike w

19. James Mello

It wasn't suggesting that this was your first rod, but rather it's probably not the kind of rod to start with. I just wanted to be clear that if you *do* start with this rod, that it's probably a tougher row to hoe than something more progressive.

20. Fred Krow

Fred Krow Member

Sage 7126 TCX is my all time favorite rod, this would be the "one only" for me.

Not overly stiff or fast with the proper casting stroke and balanced line.

Regards,
    FK