If you were to buy one spey rod, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sam Matulich, May 1, 2012.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    If I were to buy only one Spey rod it would be 13' and a 7 wt. It would be made of Unobtanium, which is weightless and therefore significantly lighter than a Sage ONE. The rod action would be medium, neither too fast nor too slow. It casts Skagit heads with sink tips and regular floating short belly (50-55') lines equally well. It is the perfect rod for my steelhead fishing.

Sg
  2. SanFranFlyFish New Member

San Francisco, California
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I'll agree with a bunch of folks here. Buy a good, reasonably inexpensive rod (TFO Deer Creek 13' 6/7 or 7/8), put Skagit and midbelly lines on it and practice, practice, practice. In the mean time, occasionally borrow other folks rods for as long as they're willing to part with them (usually 5 minutes. LOL).

It takes a while to have a good (as opposed to mediocre) cast, and as someone may have already said, spey rods are like wine: you won't be very able to tell one from the next until you've spent time developing your cast/taste.

But if I had to pick only one rod, then it'd have to be an 18' Clan (until you learn to cast it, you can always just dip the tip half way across the stream)
    yuhina likes this.
  3. Pedro J Figueroa New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Im not as savvy like a lot of this guys here but I just recently switch from traditional fly fishing to spey and my budget was limited, so I did what most ppl here are suggesting which is buying a top cheap rod with a good line and reel, and use the rest of the money for some lessons. I got me a Echo ION 10/12 with a Rio Skagit line 8wt and a 13' 8wt Cabelas TLr Spey rod and everything for abt $330.00. Now im looking for a instructor but I have already use the outfit and from my perspective feel great, I can shoot some line and make single and double spey, and snap c and snap t, not bad for a inexperience guy like me with a spey outfit. Now Im a perfectionist so Im getting the lessons cuz I want to improve. Get some lessons, even before u buy, the instructor would help u to choose the rod that work best for u.

Semper Fidelis
    fredaevans likes this.
  4. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Come out to the Day on the River before you buy your rod and try out a few of these that people are talking about. You'll also get to learn to spey cast before you invest in your setup!

As far as the rod, I would get something in the 13' range that is a 7/8 as a first rod. There are a ton of good rods out there and the key is to match the right line to whichever rod you end up with and then learn to cast.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    fredaevans likes this.
  5. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    +1 to what Flybill posted above. When it come to rods it's a very individual thing: "One man's meat is another man's poison." I can think of one line of rods that folks either love or hate (I'm on the 'hate' side). The 'feel' of a properly matched up rod/line is a key thing and it will vary from person to person (markedly).

Also agree with his suggestion of rod length (stay at/under 14 feet); more is not better over a long day of casting.
    fae
    SanFranFlyFish likes this.
  6. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    One of my fishing partners would strongly disagree with this statement. He prefers rods 15 to 16 feet in length. What was that you said; "One man's meat is another man's poison?"
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Indeed Kerry, but for someone 'new to casting,' or an old fart like me .....? I've 'taught' quite a few folks two hand casting over the years and the first lesson I learned is an overly long rod will just beat them up. This is also fairly true with rods 8wt and up. Just too much to handle too soon?
  8. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I have taught a few people to cast also and I am not buying it. Casting is casting whether it be with a 13 foot rod or a 15 foot rod. Learn to do it right on either.
  9. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Kerry, "We agree to disagree."

(Following is tongue in cheek for personal illustrative purposes only!)

You have a total newbie (young child), you put him on a three wheel tri-cicle, then a small bike with training wheels, then a three speed gear shift, to a 10 speed .. and when he/she's reasonable good at that you toss him/her the keys to the 800 pound/1200 cc Harley.

Will all that happen (me) in one outing? Not a chance in hell. Will 'he/she' get to the 10 speed in one day? Probably, but I've been proven dead wrong on that. Back to the one speed .....

End game (personal experience only) is folks will develop at different rates of 'gear comfort.' Why push the envelope? Have16' foot rods (had an 18) 10 wt's and they beat me to death and only use them when absolutely necessary. Context: full sunk lines fishing for Salmon; there you need POWER.

Period.

But, :>) we agree to disagree.
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Tricycle-bycycle-mortorcycle vs. 13 foot-15 foot two handed fly rod doesn't compute for me.
    Sorry, but I see no association at all.
  11. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Sigh, didn't think you would, no disrespect intended. To rephrase: A learning curve; you learn to count to 10 on your fingers before someone hands you an Algebra text book.

That said, I have met "The exception(s) to the Rule." Total naturals, but both were darned good with a one hander rod. Once they 'clicked' the 'how/meick-e-nicks/why it works the rest was (as the Brit's would say: "Simples."

'Demo' several 'spey casts' with their one hander (yes, the rod doesn't know, or care) and they were "Off to the Races" as the saying goes. AKA, anchor placement; remove all that transition false 180 degree thingie casting sort of thing.

Cool to watch these guys (no gals) go through the 5 rods on top of the Jeep and just get better and better swapping out Scandi's, Skatits, mid-bellies. Sit back and have a smoke; occasional 'Hold on for a second and let me show you something.' Beginning to build in a "Bad Habit." Usual was instead of 'a lift' into the swing it was a lift/jurk into the swing .. etc. A NO-NO!!

That aside, what ever makes the Puppy Hunt.