If you're sensitive about bassin' on the fly, don't reply...

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by FLYRODR, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Chris -
    Were you on Sportsman Lake?

It is a nice bass lake with fun cover to fish. Try tying your wooley buggers on about a 1/0 low water salmon hook, a full marabou feather for a tail and a 30# mono weedless loop (tie the mono first extending a 4 inch piece beyond the bend of the hook and after completing the fly bend the mono around and through the eye of the hook and finish the head). My favorite colors for the bugger is black tail and hackle over a purple or olive body. Take the weedless bugger and fish it among the pads and other cover MAy through September - should duplicate or better last year's 2 pounder.

Egg lake is another lake on that Island that has some good bassin.

Tight lines
    Curt

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    If you're up for the drive, I can vouch for Pierce County's Bay Lake. Slinging poppers under branches in July can provide fast action. Just cross the bridge at Purdy and keep on the main road until you cross the bridge at Home. Take either the first or second left--they both connect. Keep driving until you see the sign on your right that indicates Public Fishing.

3. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Flyrodr, just recently started fly fishing again, and have fished your home waters of lake Sammamish quite a bit. If you want to catch some fine smallies, try there first before traveling. Bunny patterns in the 3-4" range, weighted to sink are great. Bob.

4. CopRJohn

CopRJohn New Member

FLYRODR,

Are you kiddin, bass on the fly is a ton of fun, about 12 of my buddies and I do a 3 to 4 day float down the John Day River in the summer and it is awesome. We take our pontoons and just go for it. The scenery is well worth the trip...no to mention bass on almost every cast. I personally use a Loomis 2 weight and even when you catch a 12 incher it is dynamite fun. I have had days when I would purposely try to cast to spots that I didn't think I would hook a fish and hook fish. Depending on the water level I have had multiple fish come to me as I am landing the fish I have hooked. 2 YEARS ago we floated it and the river level was minimal...100 cfs and we were dragging our pontoons nearly over every tailout BUT the smallies were SUPER aggresive. At times as soon as your popper would hit the water it would get mashed! I took to casting into the bear grass (I think that is what it is called) and wiggling the fly to make it seem like it just fell out of the grass and more often than not the water would absolutly explode...SWEET.....great for youngsters too...getting to float down a beautiful river...camping out with dad...and catching tons of smallies. GOOD FUN!:p

5. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    Home Page:
    bassin' on the fly

Greetings--this is my first post to the informative (and entertaining) WFF forum.

I'm reading up on bass fishing this winter (hence my interest in this thread) and eyeing the various bass patterns to try at the vice in the hopes of landing a bass in the Lynnwood area in 2006. Being situated close to various urban lakes that hold a few bass (Ballinger, Martha, Silver, etc) it will be a nice way to spend an evening after work. So far my bass resume includes catching a five incher while targeting trout and skunked twice in 2005 beating the lily pads a bit so here's to a new year!

No specific fly or tactics questions at this time but was curious about Western WA specific timetables when conditions generally get warm enough to think about targeting bass. All of the books and articles I'm reading so far talk about bassin' on the fly in the southeastern US and TX so I'm assuming things take longer around here for the fish to be more active.

6. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    I fished lake fork in texas last spring and it was the most fun I had with a fly rod in a long time. I am there right now but I goind redfishing on the coast on friday, which should be awesome. They have been cathing 30 lbers lately, so I have timed it right. The bass fishing was awesome, sight fishing to largemouth averaging 4 1/2 lbs, using poppers and big sculpins. Check my gallery for evidence. I had so much fun last year I am going to do it again this spring!

7. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Nagasaurus, look for the spawn in May or early June in most lakes. But in April, the fish will be feeding heavily to prep for it, warm spring days in backs of coves and flats are good bets. Like I said, bunny patterns work well and are easy to tie. Surface stuff works best in summer, morning and evening are best for that. Poppers are a kick, just hesitate a minute before setting the hook, or you'll only land air. Maybe I'll see ya out there bassin this year! Bob.

8. RonnyBadd

RonnyBadd Fly Fisher

I'll be the first to admit fishing for bass with gear is fun! I fished bass so much with gear from my float tube I think I could have won tournaments from it. Then I started tying flies to mimic the most productive gear flung lures out there. Some worked some didn't but I hit it big with what I call the Monster Bugger. Basically a huge woolly with the colors a bass can't resist, maroon body with a white hackle wrap then a green tail the same length of the body. Fished with a friend who was thowing Senko’s and kicked his butt. Fishing for them with a fly rod is so much fun I believe I have retired my casting rod forever.

9. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the tip on timing. That is earlier that I would have expected due to our cool spring weather--good point on keeping to the shallow areas early in the season that would of course warm up a sooner.

I just finished reading Bassin' with a Fly Rod by Jack Ellis and it was a great read on the history of bass bugs, etc. and lots of good information.

10. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

I too enjoy bass fishing. I was away from it for a few years and just started back up again last year. I have fished mostly surface flies, small poppers, etc. There is nothing like a big bass smashing a top water bug. I have also had very good success on smaller waters with a small grasshopper fly. I generally fish a #6. A little heavy on some fish, but fine on others. I work with a gear guy who bass fishes a lot, he swears by black and brown 4" worms. A small brown or black bunny fly should be close.

11. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    bass fishing was my first love in fishing...i grew up fishing on this private small lake western washington lake that had brown bull heads, yellow perch, pumpkinseed, largemouth bass, and planted trout...yeah the planted trout were fun...but they always died off in the summer when it got too warm... or they got too stressed out to eat... so then the target was the handful of "monster bass" as we called them..they were about 5-7 lbs....by the time i was in highschool i had perfected catching these fish right before the water temp reached about 50 degrees these fish would begin pairing along the shorelines and you could toss 100 different pieces of gear at them with no success.... also i was teaching myself to fly fish at this time..and was amazed how aggrivated a bass would get at a wooly bugger that was pulled across in front of it... i would have to say that bassin has been better done by conventional means most of the time... however this last year i was in an unnamed lake in eastern washington where the fish had been heavily pressured..and i fished a slow fly retrieve..or even just let the fly sink..and way out produced the conventional fisherman... and was suprised at the size of the fish..a dozen smallies over the 3lb mark..and a couple at about 6lbs..maybe even more...

but there isnt much better than getting a nice tan..having some beer..and getting some great top water action... plus when you are fishing those docks... sometimes there is some great scenery on them!! always a bonus

12. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Sounds like the Potholes or Banks lake?