I'll Be Damned

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Jul 27, 2014.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Some strange bed-fellows and, IMO, welcomed changes in traditional views about dams. Having just been up on the Ruby, and owning land in the Ruby Valley, I have a personal interest in the Ruby Reservoir and River (my favorite river). The state approved an update to the dam which is nearing completion -- raising the height and increasing reservoir surface area. What I did not know was that TU is supportive of this project and several similar ones across the RMW. It sure seems a good compromise for existing tailwater's which have shown to work well in meeting both water needs for agriculture, people, fish and wildlife.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_11424920

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    They said the Ruby dumps into the Jefferson River. Boy are they missing the point. The Ruby dumps into the Beaverhead which dumps into the Big Hole and then it becomes the Jefferson river. There is no direct line from the Dam to the Jefferson. Unless they just didn't want to mention the other rivers.

I get a kick out of writers when they miss a few mountain ranges and rivers from going to place to place in what they are writing.

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  3. freestoneangler

Media:
    Good point, but the added capacity helps all of them. In particular, the Jefferson, which has been hurting for many years due to dewatering and late season high temps. My guide friend said that situation is improving -- much to the credit of Montana TU, Montana FWP and land owners recognizing there are much more efficient ways to keep drawn water from simply being wasted. I'm just glad to see that compromises are being made yielding long term benefits to all stakeholders.

4. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

As much as the Jefferson suffers from low flows and high temps I think it sounds like a win/win.
    I'm sure there's thoughts on the other side of the coin. What does "Mr." Kennedy think?:rolleyes:

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    It is a great compromise. In the West, I think irrigation is tied with Hydro power for ruining the largest square miles of habitat. Good to see cooperation involving them both yield a benefit most (if not all) stakeholders.

6. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    Why not just say it dumps into the Gulf of Mexico, right?!

In the meantime, everyone seems to think the access at the dam is closed :D

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If the Reservoir gets raised. What happens to those houses on the top end of the reservoir.

8. freestoneangler

Media:
    I don't think they flooded them out, but they may now truly have waterfront property :D. The additional depth is going to lower water temps on the Ruby and that will definitely help too... but if it changes too much, it might also change the hatches on the first few miles. Still, more, cold water is a good thing.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I guess that I'm going to have to take a drive up to the reservoir. When I go to the Ruby I come from Dillon the back way, so I never see it.