I'm getting paid to watch adult videos

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like a spam bot post, doesn't it?

They're adult videos because I'm looking for adult fish not juveniles.

I helped some guys move their videos of adult spring Chinook moving through the counting facility at Castille Falls on the Klickitat around the internet. Then they told me that they were real behind on running through the videos, looking for fish and asked me if I could look through a couple dates. After 2 minutes of training, I'm sitting here watching the water go by in a little app on my computer screen. Still haven't seen a fish. How do people do this all day for months?

Irafly likes this.
  2. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    They know that nobody will check their work (are they really going to pay 2 people to do this?) so they just watch for 5 min, times that number by 48, come back in 4 hours, watch for 5 min, repeat, etc.

3. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

your on the wrong medication or you need to be out playing golf while the videos running & then guess a number to write down. this is why our fisheries are in the state of disaster that they are, the data gathering methods are flawed .

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Damn. I only clicked on this thread to sign up( even volunteer). Talk about false advertising!

Steve Call likes this.
  5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

The folks at the Dams on the Snake used to have a stack of books. I'd swear some of them could count over the top of the book they are reading.

6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    That is pretty cool Paul but I can beat that (in my opinion). The last two weeks I got paid to catch spring Chinook in Nason Creek for a broodstock program. For a guy who spends too much time in committee meetings and overseeing contracts, snorkeling the creek, watching Chinook hit the cork line and then "reeling" it in was big fun. But I'm paying for it now, catching up on all the stuff I should have been doing in the office.

I have known fish counters that have done their jobs for decades. I can't imagine doing that! I imagine that after a few days of that, you'll be begging to go back to your Excel spreadsheets or whatever it is you do. ;)

Paul Huffman and triploidjunkie like this.
  7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I was just up nason creek yesterday! Another pretty Washington stream that's up shit creek. That's as far west as I've ventured in Washington in over a decade, and I was quickly reminded why.

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    We saw lots of Chinook and mykiss juveniles and adult whitefish, and a few adult bull trout and westslope cutts. If there was not a lot of pressure to supplement that system with hatchery fish, the permits would have never been granted. Imagine gill/tangle nets in a stream with three listed species!

Apologies for the re-direct PH.

9. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Skagit

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, seen 'em this morning.

11. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yahoo! My first fish: [​IMG]

triploidjunkie likes this.
  12. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    A lot of low-level fisheries work isn't much fun. But for tasks like these, automation is coming . . .quiet background removal, target size definitions, a whole season's worth of video reviewed at the click of a button.

13. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hard to read except on screen when I'm watching the tapes. Harder to type unless you are really good at touch typing.

It's occurred to me that we could have a slow text crawl of some short stories in the counting window to keep counters' eyes on the screen. Maybe a graphic novel. Maybe an occasional dirty picture for that intermittent reinforcement effect.

Yesterday all I had was one stupid jack that kept going up then back down a half hour later. Same jack, 13 times in 24 hours.