I'm Going To Need A Bigge Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Vojak, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Vojak

Vojak Member

Hi all,

Last year I posted a question and got lots of good feedback on getting a boat I can take family out on the lakes (wife and daughter). One of the primary requirements was storage size so I ended up buying a Sea Eagle which has worked great. Now, however, I want a bigger boat and I think my requirements are:

1. Something I can go Salmon fishing in (maybe crabbing also). Presumably can safely go in parts of the sound and local salmon rivers.
    2. Big enough to bring my family.
    3. Storage space is still a concern but I think 14ft is the maximum I could go for.
    4. Price is going to be very important in discussions with the Frau :) I'm thinking $7000 (maybe 8K tops).
    5. Safety - daughter is 3 years old

Not sure about what type/size motor I would need for the above fishing.

Anyone have any experience they can share on this considering the requirements? Can it even be done for 7K? I should also mention that the Frau would most likely want it to be new (somewhat, not terribly, afraid of the waters).

Thanks for any and all input.

Cheers,
    Vojak

2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Given your safety and size restrictions I WAS going to suggest a 13 foot Boston Whaler, but then I looked at the pricing and it puts it out of your ballpark. It's over $13K with 40 horse engine, but no trailer. You might be able to come closer buying used.
    Boston Whaler's are kind of like Volvos. They have a very good rep for stability and safety.

3. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

4. Vojak

Vojak Member