I'm ready!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I agree. I'd enjoy seeing a pic of that fly.

2. rotato

rotato Active Member

Lousy weather tomorrow
    Are you headed out?

3. Nick Clayton

Negative. The FedEx man did not show up on my doorstep with my new prop/hub kit today, so I am grounded. Weather looks crappy anyway.

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Called the Cape Cod Sand Eel. Tie it all white and as large and full as the flies you've posted. I don't have any since I haven't fly fished for lings in a long time but it was a pattern that Les Johnson told me about when he worked at Swallow's Nest. I have used it and it can be very effective.

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/capecodsandeel_pat.html

Best of Luck,
    Ted

pbunbury, Nick Clayton and Bagman like this.
  5. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Thanks I really like that fly. I'm going to tie up a few for Ling as well as some smaller once for Slivers.

6. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

OK Ted is this what you had in mind? Or should it be fuller? The instructions said sparse, so I went that way. image.jpg

Nick Clayton and triploidjunkie like this.
  7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

The anticipation is killing me. I want to see some pics of big gnarly lings.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

As full as the other flies pictured in this thread.

9. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Looking forward to a great report. When do you guys figure on getting back out?

10. Nick Clayton

Heading out for round 2 in the am. Hopefully we're able to give some sort of fishing report this time.

Alexander likes this.
  11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

May good karma be with you!

12. Nick Clayton

Well it was another....interesting day. Day started off by blowing a tire out on the boat trailer on my way to go meet Bagman. Luckily that was just a 2 1/2 set back, since he came and met me with his vehicle that we had to use to go get the new tire.

Once we finally got rolling we put in at Kingston and did more exploring than anything. We put quite a few miles on the boat, and the new prop handled great. No hiccups once the tire fiasco was fixed. We ran across to the Edmonds side, fished a nice looking jetty/breakwater for a while, then headed north. We cruised around the south end of Whidbey, stopping at one point to throw out a jig rod. Then we cruised back to the other side, past PnP, and up towards Foulweather bluff. We fished some spots in there, then cruised our way back down to Kingston and called it a day.

Not so much as a grab, but it was both of our first times doing this sort of thing. I'd really like to hook up with someone who has a little more experience and can point me in the right direction.... So if anyone is boatless.... hint hint..... lol

It was a fun time on the water though, and it was nice to get flies wet. The first spot we fished looked pretty fishy, and may bear further efforts. I was surprised at how 30' of T-17 cast. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it wasn't awful either. It took a bit for us to get the hang of it, but we were both casting pretty decent by the end.

I'd say it was a success, all things considered. Now we just need to figure out how to get a tug or two next time!

Bagman, Stonefish and plaegreid like this.
  13. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

Sounds like you hit some good locations for lings. I'm guessing those area's were pounded for the opener and fishing might be tougher now. Were the tides ripping or was it pretty calm?

If I was putting in at Kingston I would fish the Edmonds Jetty or Possession when there is no tide change. You might find this video helpful, if you can't figure out the name of this jetty PM me:

Nick Clayton likes this.
  14. Nick Clayton

Thanks CLO. I've watched that vid a few times, but I must admit I don't know where it's at.

I know where we started was a solid enough location. I think I need to practice on my boat control to help get my line down. Today's tides were pretty mild, which made things a bit easier.

It was a feeler trip for sure. Next time I'll be more prepared, and will focus my efforts more. Today was as much about exploring and putting the boat to the test as much as anything. I learned quite a bit that I will apply to next time. I learned that fly fishing 2 guys out of my boat is very doable. We were a bit apprehensive at first due to the huge flies and heavy lines we weren't used to, but once we got into the swing of things it was very manageable. Good to know for this summer as two guys will be a snap with lighter gear chasing silvers.

I can't wait to get back out there and try it again!

Irafly and plaegreid like this.
  15. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

My two cents: get a drift sock just small enough you can safely tie it to mid ships and boat control is done. Your boat will move with the current and just like fishing from a drift boat on the river, drag is almost completely cancelled so your line will sink as deep as you want to mend it. Replace your running line with 120 ft of T-7 behind the heavier head (get 2 friends and order a 500ft spool of non stretch core) and you'll be snagging bottom in 80 ft of water... Large stripping basket recommended :)

16. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Great point mbowers!

Drift socks are a wonderful addition to control drift. Before getting my autopilot electric motor I always had one (or two) rigged and ready to go. If you opt for a drift sock you are may want to have a couple rigging options. While mid-ship is the most handy tie off site it will put the boat broad side to the wind. That may be what you want but at times (depending on the wind direction and wave size) a hanging one from the bow can be handy.

Curt

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  17. Nick Clayton

A drift sock or two is definitely something I plan to add to my arsenal. I've been reading more and more about them, and it sounds like it will be well worth my effort to learn to use them. I have a hard time picturing in my head how the concept works at all times, so I'm thinking if I just go out and play around with one and actually see the results I'll be able to figure it out ok.

18. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

Green and white herring flies landed two keepers in the San Juans this past weekend. Those flies will fish! Good luck.

rocheharbormay (9).jpg

Also a setup note: I used a 12 wt and RIO 450 grain coldwater striper line with 10' of T-17 at the end. And I was super impressed with the ease of getting it down to 50 and 60 feet or more, and for casting against kelp beds and rocks at a good distance. All and all this setup seemed nearly as effective as my buddies fishing leadheads. Though unfortunately nowhere near as effective as bait.

14111060721_d5746e35fa_o (1).jpg

Irafly, pbunbury, Bagman and 3 others like this.
  19. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

That last picture has every element of a great fishing photo!

20. JayB

JayB Active Member

Look at the bend in that 12 wt!:eek: