Implications of Sand Lance Life Cycle in Relation to Fly Fishing on Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Mar 29, 2008.

1. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    A lot of the times i have found the big pods of sandlance but they will be unmolested, even when there are a lot of predators in the area. Sometimes a popper can be the best thing in a situation like that. Seems to trigger the strike when they otherwise wouldnt be inclined to eat.
  2. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Earlier when the pinks were running and me and chris were there everyother day it was crazy...wave after wave of the little guys. Your right though, whole season, what the hell go away little fish :(
  3. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    There will be color photos and life histories of all popular salmon baitfish and krill in Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II in the Salmon Feed chapter. Watch for it by mid-May.
    Les
  4. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Who knows les, i might BUY this book.
  5. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I've been waiting for this book for a while, and will be all over it as soon as it comes out!
  6. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    I know I'm getting it. :beer2:
  7. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +885 / 1
    I know that Les is far too modest to mention it, but when the book comes out, we will be having a big booksigning party here at Orvis. We'll have some food, champagne and a bunch of guys tying salt water salmon flies.

I'll keep you all posted.

Leland.
  8. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    By champagne you mean 151 right?
  9. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Shane you've hung out with chris too much.
  10. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    I learned from the best. I need to get aholt of that kid.
  11. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    the navy has him now. He's lost forever.
  12. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +326 / 0
    d3smart:

iagree! I have also often noticed some large schools of sand lance(2-3 in.) not being chased by sea-run cutthroat and coho in shallow water(1-3 ft.). This situation normally happened mid-May through mid-June.

Mid-June through early Fall, sea-run cutthroat and coho(through late-Aug.) can often be found slashing on the water surface while chasing sand lance being swept by tidal current over gravel bars, shelves, points, and outside edges of kelp beds. During this time period the sea-run cutthroat and coho are normally keyed into sand lance as a prime food source. When this situation is found, the fishing is usually spectacular skating/popping a sand lance pattern. It can be a "match the hatch game".

Roger