Important part of East-side research!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I just got off the phone with ODFW office out of Ontario Oregon and am quite impressed with the information I received from the gentleman I chatted with. I have a new lake to learn on the first trip over this spring and you can only get so much information from the net. I already had pulled up the ODFW management plans and trout stocking info from the state site and learned all I could on management in the area. so now was the time to call the regions office that manages the area and see what they might be able to tell me.

What a world of information and the person was even a fly fisherman that I spoke with. from management plans for the native rainbows in the lake that go to 8 pounds to the native bull trout, to back-up lakes in the area with directions that kinda go like this=

left at the old farm house - around the ridge and over the knob and than down in the snake pit they call so-so lake with 20" rainbows in it!

My target lake to learn they have been researching forage base "water level" to protect the native species that live in the lake. Most of these large east-side lakes are managed first for irrigation not for fish so they get drained on low water years. they are going to start managing the water levels for the lowest level they will draw it down to still keep the food-base for the native species to survive. Now knowing the food base is kinda like cheating before you arrive but him telling me they have a bomber chironomid hatch in a size 10 that "could be red" even mentioning that the hatch "COULD COME OFF IN 50' OF WATER" " is pretty darn good info! also the largest native rainbows hit the river as soon as ice is off, as fast as 5 to 7 days they will leave the lake and inter the special regulation river that is open all year long. Even said he could give me direction into a canyon on the river to target these fish if they have already left "but" there will still be 18 to 23 inch stocked (fingerling size - grown for 3 years) rainbows from Oak springs hatchery from the upper Deschutes area that grow and learn the food sources just like the natives instead of - planted 12 to 14 inchers for the take - these fish are a great addition to the lake.

From boat ramps, to back-up fishing, to species of flies to use and hatches on other lakes calling the local fish and wildlife office for the region is a must for me! last spring I fished closer to La Grande and just walked in the office and asked for the local bio and picked his brain.

I guess what I wanted to do is give "cudoos" and say "THANK YOU" to these people for helping me do research for my-

"HIGH-PLAINS-DRIFTER" trips, and suggest chatting with your regions biologist for destination type trips. They have a world of information and I have found them very pleasant to speak with and more than willing to help!

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

OOPS = I meant to post this is the still waters section = SORRY!!!

Can a moderator please move this to the still water section?

3. I'll second Mark's point about state fisheries management folks being very helpful. Unlike fishermen (although many/most of them are), who often go to great lengths to hide, obfuscate, or outright lie about quality waters, part of the job of management bios is public outreach.

I have a friend, who lives in Maine, but comes west to fish every summer. He does his research on the phone with fisheries biologists in the area he wants to target. The quality and quantity of information he gets is amazing.

Most of us rely in reading internet forums; we might as well be reading Egyptian hieroglyphics!

D

Jim Wallace and Mark Kraniger like this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I agree, what some people call zipper lips can be revealed in moments with a well written thought out e-mail or a polite phone call to a local biologist. They understand that any water that is public and managed with public funds, is just that public and the thought of keeping it a secret is ridiculous. Now as fisherman, we have every right to zip it up if we want :)

Jim Wallace likes this.
  5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Bios are good people to know....

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Yeah I was just messing with everyone not mentioning what res. it is I'm targeting. I really do not mind sharing my info on this forum for a few reasons - one - we are mostly fly fisherman - two - most of you are in Washington -HA - and will never go fish these lakes. but if you wanted an Owyhee river brown trout trip with a Beulah res. and northfork malhuer river combo that dumps into the lake well there you have it!

I always try and give reports but most of these lakes are huge and take a motor boat to fish them real well although pontoons will work I wouldn't want to kick my big ass around in a tube on these lakes. the lakes over in that area get drained or have bad water years all the time so finding or knowing which lakes are doing well or have had water for 3 years is key. changing so often calling over to bios is a must.

Anyway I'm posting about it because I have to wait another 3 to 4 weeks for ice off and cant stand it! If it happens earlier the tires on the 4x4 will be burning. also just received my new to me used 696-4 Z-axis and test cast it in the park today - talk about "TORTURE"

Besides I love the stillwater forum :D

Irafly and Jim Wallace like this.
  7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Decent post, Mark. You have shared mucho info.I can sense the torture you are going thru. Although I don't have to wait for "ice-off," I am siting here feeling a bit tortured, myself.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Sounds like great info to me Mark! I will be making a few trips down that way this spring!!! I saw a robin in the yard the other day, but have no idea when ice off will be. We are still getting snow every so often here at 3500 ft. and it still covers my yard, although not in town. Hopefully the ice will be off by my spring break.

9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Oh, don't get me wrong feel free to leave off the name. I'm not posting my March 1st Basin opener lake, although many could figure it out because it is small and the fishing in it doesn't last long. You feel free to zip up all you want, that is until I make it down there to fish with you and then I want it all! Come up here and I'll share it all with you as well.

10. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

You know, a big difference in fishing still-waters here in Oregon is the size of the waters. When I lived in Washington, most of the waters I spent a lot of time fishing were ones you could cover in a tube in a day. here in Oregon most of the good still waters for trout are big reservoirs that require more looking around to find the good spots. It also means that giving one up is not such a big deal....everyone knows about Crane and Wickiup, Diamond, and the folks over here all know Thief Valley, Malhuer Res, Beulah and Unity. It's knowing where the fish are and finding the pattern for a day that is important. It's time for me to get my boat set up for them instead of trying to fish them the way I worked the seeps. It is a much bigger deal to post a hike in seep lake that is hot. Some of my favorite places in Washington were the out of the way little lakes and it was sad when some of them became popular or even given special regs.

11. Derek Dahms

Derek Dahms New Member

So Mark , you let the cat out of the bag ! That's ok , there's no pavement leading up to these lakes . No five star hotels / restaurants. A guy might have to go 5 days W/O a shower ! I don't care if my truck gets muddy or scratches on it ,and we may even have to cook for ourselves !!! Calm down everyone , I'm just joking around ! Can't wait to get up there !