In search of something that doesn't exist: Alvord Cutthroat

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by gigharborflyfisher, Sep 5, 2008.

1. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  2. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nice job Gary! I didn't even think one could fish water that small.

Jake
  3. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I saw the picture of the 15" fish in the gallery. That's a pretty amazing expedition!
    -Ethan
  4. Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Kent WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    OK GHFF, I want to go with you when you go on another trip like this ... Reminds me of my youth back in West Virginia, traipsing around in search of the elusive native brook trout ...
  5. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Now that's an adventure and determination. That's a lot of hiking for such a thin trickle of water, but the coloration on those fish is so distinctive. Still, those narrow creeks can hold the occasional surprise, as you demonstrated so nicely. Thanks for putting in the miles (so we don't have to).

Steve
  6. GHow New Member

West Suffield CT
    WELL DONE! Reading your storyline with the pictures in place was great. :thumb:
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    This is just awesome!! Thanks for sharing!
  8. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Nice one Gary. Good for you. Thanks for sharing that.
  9. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    That is VERY cool!
  10. Fast Action Freddie Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Yeah, those are the kind of waters that I sometimes fish in my dreams (my "trippy fish dreams"). but usually the stream is running through my living room ...
  11. Bill Reed New Member

Fort Collins, Colorado
    Very impressive effort! The text and photos are excellent but they pale in comparison to the effort you made to search for the Alvord Cutthroats. It's hard to find something that doesn't exist and most wouldn't even try, especially given the difficulty. Thanks for sharing the details!
    I'm curious, have you had any communication with Dr. Behnke regarding your cutthroat adventures?
  12. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    If I have your location pegged right on my map, I turned back on that same road in July of 1983 while collecting plants for my graduate research in that area. The lines on the map and the reality on the ground don't always match. Great story and what an effort.
    Dick
  13. Cactus Dana Miller

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Beautiful fish! It's nice to know they exist even though I won't be making the hike to see them. However, if I could add a few more tire tracks to that dirt road.....

Thanks!
  14. Corey Kruitbosch Member

Ogden, UT
    Awesome adventure and... Well worth the effort! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your photos and the stories that go with them!