In-touch or other low-stretch lake line reviews?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Dec 26, 2013.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Alright, I'm considering replacing a couple of my sinking lines for 2014. It looks like the current crop from Rio and Airflo are pushing the idea of low-stretch for better sensitivity and hook sets. I've seen these new products mentioned in a few threads. Is there any weight to these claims? I don't buy new lines very often so I'm willing to invest knowing that I'll be getting 5+ years service. I'm specifically looking at a fast intermediate (+/- 2 ips) and a super fast sinker (ala Deep 7).

The lines I'm replacing were both purchased in 2004 when new lines cost $50. I fished them both this past fall and they still work . . .but are showing various examples of wear and tear: discoloration, splitting/cracking, nicks, permanent kinks, etc. If the new less stretchy lines aren't a significant improvement, I'll start looking for closeouts on NOS.

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I'm good with you sticking with different sinkers than I have, that way we can work more zones! You know me though, I couldn't for the life of you tell you what my Type 3 is, but I like it and it is low stretch. Although I really haven't seen that much difference in hook up ratio to takes between it and my Aqualux. It does do better than my 15 year old full sink though.

3. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

just got the In Touch Deep 3 yesterday, my first full sink. wish i could give ya a review but im just spoolin it up.

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

I'm trying the Rio in a type V. First impression is they may as well have just tied a bank sinker to the tip the way it handles. I already know it wont put more fish in the net so its a matter of preference with casting and underwater behavior. I cant imagine this one feeling better than the SA uni-sink but i'll fish it till spring to get used to it. If you love lines with a lot of punch this is the one. It feels front heavy and less balanced than others.

troutpocket likes this.
  5. troutpocket

Interesting. I wonder if the punchy, tip-heavy feel is a result of the low stretch? I've read some reviews of Rio's low-stretch floater that remarked on how different it felt on the first try.

6. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I've had the Rio In-touch type VI for a year now, and it's been a great line. Has better sensitivity than some of my older sink lines, but I'm not convinced its resulted in more hookups. Yes it does cast a little front heavy.... you wont want to overline your rod. This may be due to the low stretch, or the density compensated front taper, or both. Another feature I like is the hangdown marker.

troutpocket likes this.
  7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

troutpocket likes this.
  8. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Simon's tip on hanging is a good one. He's right, lots can happen at the end of a retrieve.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

SA Uni, that's what it is, that's what I have. Thanks Ford... ahhh I mean Tim.

10. troutpocket

Update: I ordered a Rio In-touch Camolux and will give it a try this winter/spring. If I like it, I'll check out a Deep 7 as well. Regarding the tip-heavy casting of these lines, it looks like Rio revamped the taper on the In-touch series to make them into compact shooting head tapers (30' head, 220 gr in 6wt) rather than traditional heads. For comparison, my 5wt Outbound Hover line has a 37.5' 210 gr head.

[​IMG]

SA Uniform sink line profile with 40' head:

SAsinkprofile.JPG

In doing my research, I looked into Airflo 6th Sense lines as well but it seems they aren't available much these days. A few years ago several shops were carrying them but now they appear to be a special-order item. I've always had good success with Rio lines and it sounds like their customer service is good when needed.

11. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

I think that there is arguably more advantage to a line that stretches a bit.....I would rather have the additional tippet protection....after all big fish can really slam a tight line resulting in break offs...but marketing (spin) is predictable.....next thing ya know they will be making lines with more stretch and touting the advantages to that...

triploidjunkie likes this.
  12. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I just can't buy into the "no stretch" concept. Not much stretch in a 20 pound braided line core in the first place. To me it's all about no belly sink and a straight line to the fly! Having the tip sink before the body of the line is a must in trying to keep a straight line to the fly, weighting the fly correctly to sink with the tip sink rate is also very important to me. I HATE BELLY SINK, the main reason for missed takes while I was stillwater steelheading for over 10 years. From leather leader straighteners to using a stiffer leader material so no kinks or waves were in the long 15 foot leaders - it all has to be straight with the fly lower than the fly line itself so the thick fly line is not going through the fish first.

When fishing with a line that has belly sink lower than tip or fly, most times we would only hook fish on the last half of working the line in. about the last 30 to 40 feet because there was noway to feel the light tic-tic of 10 pound steelhead closing they're mouth on the flies with any kind of belly or curved line in the retrieve at any point.

I use nothing but the S.A. uniform sink for this kind of work down to 12 feet (system two) but I still use the older ones from 15 years ago or so. If you find a line that works as good trout please post it here so I can revamp my trout rods with them. I only have the older uni's in 8 wt. and looking for lines in 5 and 6 weight that will give me exactly what I want out of a faster sinker than intermediates.

Thanks in advance for the research. sometimes cutting a front tip down to be shorter can fix the tip staying higher than the body of the sinking line. I want to take the same system I use for stillwater steelhead to trout fishing and really don't know what lines to turn to right now!

For an example just draw a U on a piece of paper and that is what most heavy sinking lines look like under the water. I am always trying to straighten it some how, from sink fast loon liquid on the tips to heavier weighted flies. I can tell when the line is dragging bottom instead of the fly when counting to long on the sink. I am always looking to have that fly touching bottom first if I'm counting to long! When it touches first I at least know I'm close to what I want! good luck on your quest!

Mike Ediger and triploidjunkie like this.
  13. troutpocket

Mark - most sinking lines produced these days are "density compensated" meaning they are designed to eliminate the belly sink. The front part of the line is slightly heavier than the rest, keeping the belly from forming on the retrieve.

I agree that the no-stretch concept sounds like marketing spin to me. But my old line is toast and I'm interested to try something new. The newer floating lines (Sharkskin) really do perform better than the last generation of floaters, in my experience, so maybe this is a step forward. I'll be fishing the In-touch line with a 10' intermediate sink polyleader that will add some shock absorption for my tippet.

triploidjunkie and Mark Kraniger like this.
  14. chief

chief Active Member

I started fishing an In Touch 3 and an In Touch 6 this past Summer. I think they are great lines. I like the no stretch feature. Between that and the uniform sink rate I feel a very sensitive connection to the fly. I have not experienced more break-offs on the take, but I am able to detect the subtle takes a little better. Then again, I generally use pretty heavy tippet when fishing deep so have never really had a problem with break-offs.

troutpocket likes this.
  15. troutpocket

+1 for heavy tippet. When I'm stripping streamers in lakes I'm usually using 1x fluoro tippet. I occasionally bend out hooks but never break off.

16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

No wonder you have so many extra flies laying around your tying room. I guess I just like tying more than you.

troutpocket likes this.
  17. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

A friend and I was fishing the honey hole on a lake using the same fly he was catching fish and I was not the main difference was I was using 8 lb maxium he 4 lb fluoro I switch to 4 lb immediately start catching fish I think that day we total over 40 fish in 15 ft of water maybe 30 yard area

18. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

1x Flouro? There are people who use 3x mono for summer run steelies...

I will admit I tend to use heavy tippet, but maybe one x level lower then needed. I think if you moved to a 3x flouro you will get better strike detection as the tippet is more supple. Might also get more takes, and I think your fly will have better action, especially if its an 8 or smaller. Tbh I am not sure if the whole flouro mono debate makes that much difference, the best fish I've caught in a lake was on a type 3 ancient history line uniform sink with I think 3x mono, and the lake in particular gets lots of pressure and had very few tanks caught recently when I was there.

Gotta love large Pennask!

19. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Well, summer run steel are not nearly as line shy as selective water stillwater trout, so you can get away with different tippet material. Even so, I use 3X flouro on summer run steel and do far better than the mono crowd.

As for troutpocket needing better strike detection, as someone who fishes with him on a regular basis, I can attest to the fact that he does not need better strike detection and he is able to work flies quite well.

Flouro versus mono debate in my opinion is a no brainer. Yes at times it doesn't matter but other times it most certainly does for so many reasons. Why mess with that as a variable when your trying to figure things out?

Yes, I do love large Pennask!

20. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

In the sport of fly fishing there is always a point at which everything (the details) matters ....We just don' t alway know where that point is.......

chief likes this.