Indian Island/Marrowstone Island, Pt. Townsend

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Cliff, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Hello,

This is my first post in the saltwater forum. I'm looking for advice. I will be spending some time kayaking the waters around Marrowstone Island and to a lesser degree Indian Island this coming weekend. I'm well aware of the Naval security at Indian Island. I've heard that coho should start appearing soon, and also that chinook can be caught almost year round in the area. I'm planning on taking a steelhead gear rod, as well as an 8wt fly rod. I've never fished in this manner before and I was hoping I could get some advice as to gear, flies, tactics, etc.

Thank you very much,
    Cliff

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. I'm just starting out with saltwater flyfishing myself and I recommend spending a few hours browsing these forums for old posts. I found a lot of information here that has helped me get going and to actually hook and land my first flyrod salmon. Since you will be in the Marrowstone/Indian Island area, you might want to stop in at Gig Harbor Fly Shop or Puget Sound Fly Company (if you are driving through Tacoma). The fine folks at either shop can give you a ton of helpful info/advice.

3. There are plenty of fish in that area. On Marrowstone fish the beach by the lighthouse at Ft Flagler. There are other spots all around that area but this is a not so secret one that will have fish.

Tony Abaloney likes this.
  4. There are some pretty big current rips in that area and one could get into trouble pretty easy on a kayak if you are paying more attention to fishing than paddling. There is also some pretty big wakes that come from the shipping lanes and especially when the cruise ships leave in the evening.

Stonefish likes this.
  5. Couldn't agree more. Great spot to fish but I do recall some monster waves crashing the beach. Be careful

Patrick

6. Point Wilson, weather and tide can make things rather serious rather fast for a single kayak. Not sure you gain much with the yack, in fact might make it more difficult to fish multiple areas.

7. Also, I'm assuming you have a self rescue device?

8. Also you are going to drive by some.very fishy/good fishing to get here.

9. Cliff,

Coho salmon have been showing up on these Port Townsend area beaches for weeks now, pinks too. We caught our first pink of the year in early July. And we have caught ocean run Coho salmon here as early as May and June in some years. Chinook season is closed here in Marine Area #9, (Marrowstone, Port Townsend, Admiralty Inlet etc.) Just about every tide that I have fished here lately we have seen people catch fish, or caught fish ourselves. We expect to catch salmon here as late as October. And we catch sea run Cutthroat in the Saltchuck most months of the year here. Fly fishermen are catching Coho and Pink salmon on a wide range of flies. If you look at this Saltwater Forum there are many good and very recent examples. Also see the Fly Tying Forum pages here, and check out the Fly patterns too. The 8 weight would be a bit heavy but doable. A six weight would be perfect for trout, and a seven weight for these salmon. Many people just fish for these salmon with a six weight. If you do a little reading here you will find many recent posts on these questions you have raised. Most of us are happy to help you, but you still need to do some work on your own.

As for kayaking here, there are opportunities. The state park launch areas all afford good fishing access and fairly secure parking. Better fishing can be found along the shorelines of Port Townsend Bay, along the shores of Old Fort Townsend State Park, the north shore of Fort Flagler State Park, from the mouth of Killisut Harbor to Marrowstone Point, along the shores of Killisut Harbor, and along the shore of Marrowstone Point- from the "lighthouse" point, southward toward Craven Rock and the south end of Marrowstone. Fishing the shallow and more "protected waters" on the shoreline of Oak Bay too can be very good at times. An added benefit to fishing there is that there is less wake and wave issues on otherwise managable paddling days. You can hand launch there at Oak Bay County Park, or South Indian Island County Park. (See Jefferson County Parks). Most of the best fishing here will be at dawn or dusk now, in shallow water, with some current, often at or near the few hours ahead of high tide. Even with a kayak you will likely be better off fishing from shore here in many situations. But you could have an adventure riddling all of that out for a few days. Check Washington Water Trails for a map of kayak camping sites around here too.

I do not recommend that you fish at or near Point Wilson with a kayak of any kind. Between wind exposure, standing waves, tidal currents, and ship traffic wakes, that would be unpleasant for a kayak fishing trip. Even seasoned intermediate level kayakers get rescued there every year. And a few people die here annually due to cold water immersion and hypothermia. Marrowstone Point too has significant shipping traffic wake and wave issues, especially on the north side of the point and the northern end of the beach, facing south. As you move along that shore southward, toward the south end of Marrowstone Island, it gets much better. Have fun! http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

10. I went kayak fishing at Point Wilson about a month ago and would agree with the comments - this is not a place for novice or even intermediate kayakers. Heavy currents (>4-5 knots) form at the point with standing waves and rips. And what's more important... I had no advantage fishing either side of the point from my kayak. I've crossed that one off my list of new places to go.

Tony Abaloney and Jeff Dodd like this.