Indicator or Not?????

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fsbii, May 29, 2002.

1. ray helaers New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am often amused by folks (except when they start to get cranky) who like to use their fly outfits to fish in a way that is not strictly flyfishing (a perfectly acceptable practice, at least to yours truly, who indulges in this type of behaviour often), such as trolling a fly (behind motorised boat or floattube), adding some kind of implement to their fly like a small spinner, or scent (or a beadhead), OR fishing with a bobber, then getting all defensive and hurling accusations of snobbery (or stuffy purism) when someone points out that what they're doing isn't exactly flyfishing.

Whew, that was a long sentence, but here's my point. Calling something flyfishing or not isn't a value judgement, but it apparently means more to the chap who's about to accuse me of snobbery than it does to me. I all the time use beadheads, occasionaly troll from my float tube, and have from time to time hung a wet fly under a bobber, sometimes on still water. I'm perfectly at peace with myself over it, but I'M not the one who feels a need to call it flyfishing. Who's the snob? What after all is wrong with bobber fishing, especially in the hands of a master making the rest of us look like tyros?

I'll admit that I prefer to catch fish by actually flyfishing (using a fly rod, reel, line and fly that more often than not imitates the appearance and behaviour of a natural food organism, but more importantly is either riding the forces of whatever current is available - including none, or is manipulated entirely by my own hand, without the aid of any "device" like a spinner or undue weight - including clouser eyes, which I use all the time, OR a bobber as an aid to hanging a chironomid at a precise depth). But as just mentioned, and as above, I'm all the time doing something else. I've no trouble with any of it; call me what you will. However, since I understand that words have meaning quite independent of what I wish them to mean, I understand that what I am doing is not strictly flyfishing.

And since I am not the snob (except perhaps when it comes to language), I have no reason to call it flyfishing.
  2. mtp1032 New Member

Sammamish, WA, US.
    Indicators have their place. I'll sometimes use an indicator (usually a 12/14 emerger to which a bead-head nymph of some kind is attached) when casting across the current to a deep, long run. I seem to have trouble casting yarn and/or styrofoam corks.

In my experience, fish seldom seem to be attracted to the indicator fly. But I believe using an indicator fly is more successful than yarn/corkie/etc. Probably because the latter is unnatural.

However, when fishing pocket water I *never* use indicators. I just drop a weighted nymph at the head of the pool, keep the rod tip high and move it with the drift.

Cheers,

Michael
  3. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Please check your email fishnfella. Chris
  4. ray helaers New Member

Wow.

That kind of BS is absolutely uncalled for. I imagine Chris will be in here soon, but I couldn't help butting in to call WEAK on that.

Now I'll tell you what doesn't ammuse me. People who subject others to their own low self-image by boasting, issuing challenges, and calling names from the safe anonymity of an otherwise great bulletin board.

I don't know, maybe you guys are actually best friends and this is some kind of joke I don't get. Otherwise fishnfella: go off and become the greatest flyfisher in history; just leave the rest of us out of it.