indicators in fly only water?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by I love babies, Jul 16, 2014.

1. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Like a reel priorities guide trainee... poor polar bear.

underachiever likes this.
  2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

You dont want to knkw what the reel priorities does with that bear once it's subdued.

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    The bear taps out?

4. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    image.jpg

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. stilly stalker

BEAR FUCKER!! Do you need assistance?!

6. stilly stalker

We have super troopers and big Lebowski in the same thread.

Internet win of the day

7. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

After reading the skater thread, I suggest that flies with foam on them be banned from fly-only waters. The old timers didn't use foam when they originally pushed for fly-only regulations.

KerryS and golfman44 like this.
  8. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Funny you mention that. I was fishing the NU recently and was using a fly that had rubber legs on it. Not squidro style or anything, just one pair at the back and I was wondering if it would fit the definition of the regulations. I think it would be fine but I cut it off and started fishing something else.

I didn't catch any less fish because of it ;)

9. Tyler Axel

Tyler Axel Buenos Hatches Ese

Media:
    Is this anti-nymphing rhetoric just a steelhead thing? I am admittedly not much of an anadromous fisherman, so these anti-nymphing threads have me perplexed. I have been fly fishing for trout all over the western USA since I was big enough to hold a rod (thanks to my pops), and I have never gotten the vibe from another fisherman/shop/guide/etc. that using nymphs under an indicator (or as a dry-dropper) is any less fly fishing than using dry flies or tight lining streamers. That is until I started chasing steelhead and salmon in the last year or so. I obviously don't post here much (at all), but I read the forums daily and this seems to be a recurring theme. I've always understood nymphing to be a huge part of trout fishing considering that the majority of what they eat is under water. I am just trying to fathom how so many guys do not consider this an acceptable fly fishing tactic as long as the fly is tied from some kind of thread/feather/fur (I do understand the controversy over beads). So maybe someone can shed some light on this in relation to trout fishing? Does this just apply to steelhead/salmon because they are not generally feeding in the rivers? Or do those of you who do not nymph for steelhead also not nymph for trout? I'm just trying to understand because I have been doing more steelhead fishing lately, and I assumed the philosophies would be the same as trout fishing but they clearly are not.

Irafly, triploidjunkie and golfman44 like this.
  10. stilly stalker

damn dirty nymphers betta stay off my propertaaay!!

jake-e-boy and golfman44 like this.
  11. FlyNewbie

FlyNewbie Hooked...

So without dick'n around reading 11 pages worth of posts. Is it okay to use a strike indicator in fly only water or not? Give me the cliff notes version....

12. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

Fuck no, and you shouldn't use a bobber on a fly rod period. Buy a centerpin if you want to use floats

13. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

What the heck is a centerpin ?

FlyNewbie likes this.
  14. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

Drag free drift for days. Google is useful too

15. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Media:
    Fly Fishing.jpeg BC definition

sopflyfisher and stilly stalker like this.
  16. stilly stalker

17. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Let's see...

Hi Viz mono can be used as an indicator; so can a section of floating fly line...

Does that mean both of those; and in particular, floating fly lines should be banned as well?

18. stilly stalker

sure, paint a section of your line or leader. You cant get the same hinged presentation you get with a thingamabobber

19. Tyler Axel

Tyler Axel Buenos Hatches Ese

Media:
    I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I just don't get it... So it isn't nymphing that is the problem, it is the use of an indicator? If I dead drift a nymph with no indicator is that okay? If I throw a hopper dropper in the middle of the summer on the Deschutes am I breaking a cardinal rule? The majority of the bugs are under water and the majority of a fish's feeding occurs under water. Have you ever dipped a little net in the river and caught bugs floating under the surface? As a fly fisherman you should try to imitate that as best you can. Isn't the basic premise of fly fishing to imitate what is in the water and make your drift look as natural as possible? I understand fly fishing to be defined as using an artificial fly tied with thread/feathers/etc. and a rod/line setup where the line is propelling the fly. The idea that using the aid of a strike indicator redefines the definition of fly fishing is just silly.

I would definitely agree with you that it might be inappropriate in certain places. The Stilly is a famous steelhead river, and as others have stated, the original guys who fought to designate fly-only water there were exclusively swinging flies. When I am fishing water that I am unfamiliar with, I am as respectful as possible because I would expect the same from others on the rivers I consider my home water. I wouldn't nymph the Stilly because I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes who have been fishing there for years, but outside of specific stretches of water like that it doesn't make an ounce of sense.

In over 20 years of trout fishing on the fly (it is the only way I have ever known), I have not once had someone, including professionals I've fished with, express this anti-nymphing idea to me. My guess is that since anadromous fish get so hammered by the gear guys that those of us who spend a lot of time pursuing them on the fly look for a way to differentiate themselves from the gear crowd. Sorry but drifting a BH stonefly nymph under a yarn indicator is not the same as pounding a hook with real salmon eggs and split shot under a huge bobber. One is still fly fishing and one is not. Maybe I just don't get it because I'm only a novice steelhead guy....

Irafly likes this.
  20. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    My understanding and belief on the subject is that steelhead aren't there to feed. They are there to spawn, and because of this they are aggressively attacking things that get in there way. If they were as picky about the bugs they bite as feeding trout, then it might be a lot different. The sport in trout flyfishing is getting them to eat. Whereas the sport in steelheding is getting them to attack. It is more sportsman like to not just simply dredge nymphs and shot right through the slot, but rather to allow the fish to chase something down. Hope this helps