indicators in fly only water?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by I love babies, Jul 16, 2014.

1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Except you can use sinking lines on the N Umpqua fly water now

2. sk8r

sk8r Member

really? all year long? I haven't been over there in years, like 15 or so but used to fish it often when I lived closer. When and how did that change? I kind of liked that rule over there. Kept the pressure down I think. Of course I kind of view sink tips on the same level as using a indicator.

One you are a goddamn bobber fisherman, the other you might as well be swinging a blue fox. Heathens either way.

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

Dang you sop, I wanted to be the one to ask when the heck we were going to share a beer and fish together. I even meant to put it in my post. Seriously, never have been offended and I enjoy the passionate exchange of ideas. For example if stilly and I do make it out and the idea of the indicator really bothered him that much, I'd hook steel some other way on the North Fork. After that though all bets are off.

Danielocean likes this.
  4. stilly stalker

The N Umpqua rule changed this year or last- can't remember

5. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Don't fall for the bait of fishing with Ira. You'll take him out to teach him a new fishery and he will be the only one who catches fish. To make matters worse a fish will actually hit his bobber instead of the fly you're fishing.

6. stilly stalker

That's dirty- tell him spraying WD40 on his bobber isn't legal

7. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

"Even the N Umpqua has relaxed its strict policies on the fly only water- sink tip lines allowed. "

Well...yes and no.
    Please reread....time of year constraints.

Also, the rules are almost written identical (if not the same) for the N Umpqua and Metolius; BUT. the interpretation of those rules are different. (I made the calls to both ODFW field offices and the OSP divisions)...just thought you should know.

8. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

ps;... when it comes to "fly angling only" waters.

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I saw what I thought was a native citizen multiply indicator rig, turns out it was ceremonial gill net fished in the traditional native method.

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

best fishing regulation ever...

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Hey that's the same thing I'm reading,, that means no pitch forks,buzz bombs,or chemical weapons even if they are attached to a piece of fly line . It seems so simple !!

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Ira,

It's not that bobber fishermen wouldn't be self righteous if they had something to be self righteous about. And they don't put down other fishermen because they first would have to find and identify a lower life form of fishing in order to put it down.

See how simple it is? Glad I was able to help clear this up for you.

Oh, and to the O.P. I love babies, Yes, bobber fishing on the NF Stilly in the summer season is illegal, immoral, and unethical, and causes zits, and you will go to hell if you do it. Other than that, it's pretty much OK and fits in well with the local salmon snaggers.

Sg

t.i.c., sorta'

KerryS, sopflyfisher and jake-e-boy like this.
  13. stilly stalker

The salmon snaggers of hazel and c post like to use a multi treble rig with the shanks wrapped in lead

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Those are the ones with money. The poor ones use Champions or ACs.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

Well, I used to have respect for you Salmo_g but somewhere in that ignorant self righteous post it disappeared.

Now to address the ignorance, indicator fisherman from shore on a river need to be far more skilled as fisherman than swingers, there really is no debate in that is there? So first identified lower life form of fishing in this case would be swingers. So there you go, we indicator fisherman could put down and be self righteous about our skill set and then after that we could be self righteous about catching more fish. Swingers I believe tend to try to demonize indicator fisherman because they need to believe beyond the kool aid drinking slogan of "the tug is the drug" that there really is something more to the swinging/lack of success that they have decided to dedicate themselves too. They like to claim that it is more of an accomplishment to catch a steel on a swung fly than it is to catch one indicator fishing because they choose to use an inferior method. I could say that it is more of an accomplishment to pick up all the dog crap in my yard with a tooth pick versus a pooper scooper and therefore look down upon all those who do it any different. See to me that is where the joke really lies, that false sense of superiority and when I hear and see it, it makes me laugh. There you go again, I'm starting to show my superiority and righteousness. But in the big picture, I'm glad that so many people have bought into the mystique of the swung fly, good on them for that and maybe I should encourage more people to do it instead of less.

Now Salmo_g if you have ever read any of my other posts about this subject you can take from this what you will.

;)

16. stilly stalker

They ride 4 wheelers to cover water fast- those are the ones with some money at least

I've called that crew into the warden/ sheriff a bunch of times

17. PT

PT Physhicist

And then you have the nymphers with Napolean Complex. That, in itself, is just as hilarious.

Chris Johnson, KerryS and doublespey like this.
  18. stilly stalker

It's well acknowledged thst bobber fishing a nymph is deadly. No argument.
    Is swinging a "less effective" technique? Maybe if you don't master it. However if you try to accomplish the same mending mastery/ seam reading/ drift control with a more traditional presentation I think your success rate will climb quickly.

Is it more difficult to learn to present a fly at the exact depth/ current seam? I think so. Is it impossible? Not at all.

KerryS likes this.
  19. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

You've seen me before, you know I'm not short so you must be referring to someone else. Of course how bad really is it to be compared to Napolean? Dude did conquer most of a continent.

PT likes this.
  20. PT

PT Physhicist

Napoleon complex, or "short man syndrome", is a pejorative slang term describing a type of psychological phenomenon which is said to exist in people, usually men, of short stature.[1] It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behaviour, and carries the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subjects' stature. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives. Other names for the term include Napoleon syndrome[2] and Short Man syndrome.[3]