indicators in fly only water?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by I love babies, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I THINK MY METHOD IS SUPERIOR.

That's why I fish the way I do. There is nothing wrong with that. You clearly feel the same way. Christ, you give presentations on nymphing.

Yes, I lack the ability to understand why people like nymphing. That is true. I do not understand.

Where you are wrong, continually, is your assertion that because I (and the other non-nymphers) don't like or understand nymphing that I want to change how other people feel towards it. If that were the case I would do things like give presentations on fishing other ways.

Go Sox,
    cds

2. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I like fishing with bait
    I like fishing while on a date
    I like fishing all around the sound
    I like fishing on water instead of ground
    I like to swing a fly or drop a bug
    I like to give my son a big hug
    I fish after a long alpine hike
    I could give two shits what you like
    If i considered what you thought
    I might even care what you caught
    since i fish my way and you fish yours
    We can both enjoy it and not be bored

I am rubber you are glue, it bounces off me and sticks to you.

Irafly likes this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I understand nymphing- it's just not my thing.

If I was really the urge to get in a fistfight at Reiter I'd throw a bobber with the Spey rod.

Irafly likes this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

I give presentations on indicator techniques in stillwaters, I don't think my method is superior to yours or anyone else's methods, it is a way of approaching a lake (river) that I'm skilled at and people have asked me to share that knowledge. Ultimately I enjoy catching fish period but I prefer the indicator. I do not lack the ability to understand why people like to catch fish regardless of their method, I'm sorry that you do though, that must make it really hard for you to empathize with people in many areas of your life. Most likely why you prefer to fish alone.

I am not asserting, therefore I don't believe I'm wrong, that those who don't like indicator fishing are trying to change how others feel towards it, that is why I asked you if that was how you felt. No assertion there, just a question that you didn't want to answer. I continually only like to call out those who do make it clear that they are trying to change minds and feelings. My confusion with you and others is when you don't use a first person pronoun in your statements. On more than one occasion posters make assertions about a certain technique but they state their opinion as fact and leave little room for their to be any other interpretation. For example you do not state that you "think" I'm wrong, you say that I am wrong. So to get this straight, you are not asserting that you want to change anyones minds or change anyones feelings about how they fish? No assertion again, just a question.

I am confused though that you think the simple act of giving a presentation on a subject automatically means that the person giving the presentation thinks that their method is superior. That's quite a leap.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

More likely someone would just shoot you. I did fish an indicator there once just for giggles but nobody got mad at me in the slightest. I worked with the people around me, found a place out of the way, helped a few guys spot fish, pointed out some likely drifts and although they likely laughed at me a bit they were also quite friendly. I think they respected the fact that I didn't look down on them for how they chose to fish. I even let a couple of guys "cast" my set up a bit.

PT likes this.
  6. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    What if you only swing nymphs? you know, like a spade fly :)

plaegreid and triploidjunkie like this.
  7. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    After the recent carp thread I've transitioned to only swinging corn.

8. stilly stalker

Ive been at Reiter when folks have pulled guns on other people.
    I have swung a fly at Reiter many times, and yeah...if you are friendly and not a dick then most people are cool.....I used to be a hard core pot head though... and that cloud of smoke drifting downwind does a lot to placate the locals ;)

HOWEVER, it gets bad when the fishing is rough and youre outfishing them. Ive had rocks thrown up in my section, and other passive aggressive and not so passive behavior sent my direction.

Irafly likes this.
  9. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Not to hi-jack this awesome instructive thread, but for what reason does someone pull a gun on somebody while fishing?
    I have heard storys for years and years but never witnessed it.
    I still feel the gun pulling storys are like Kaiser soze.

10. stilly stalker

Well, this incident involved someone hooked into a fish upstream, with the fish running downstream. The guy drifting down stream of the guy with the fish on didnt pull his line out of the water in time, fish got tangled, guy lost fish. Guy got angry- pulled gun out of waders.

It was a truly classic Reiter moment

11. stilly stalker

almost a decade ago now- but Ill never forget it

12. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

"Swing your nymph...do-si-do..."

It's much exciting than what was previously discussed...and a "better way" too. ;)

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Some things are so awful, I can not empathize. Among those things are nymphing and Indian food. I have tried both of them and for the life of me can't understand why anyone would voluntarily do either.

No. I'm not trying to change how anyone else fishes. Truth be told I'd prefer it that you all stayed home, leaving the water to me. Failing that, I'd prefer that anglers fishing for steelhead all swing, as the basic order is best for me that way and I would have to have sympathy pains in my shoulder from watching people lob lead. In the course of a fishing day, I won't likely strike up much of a conversation with anyone, so they'll be no convincing. Fly fishing isn't a social sport. Beer drinking is. Around the campfire I am likely to harass and make fun of any nympher, not because I think I'm better or would like to change them but because I'm likely to make fun of you or myself about anything. It is what I do. If you take that as acting superior you really won't like it when I ridicule you for your choice in beer or women or men or anything else.

It would be best if you just let me tell you why I preferred to fish alone rather than assume. Basically it's because it's too much of a risk to try out a new partner with my limited fishing schedule. I fish with a couple people. I like them, they at least seem to like me. Fishing isn't a social endeavor though so all one really needs is someone to run a shuttle and drink beer with when the day is done.

Go Sox,
    cds

JS and Irafly like this.
  14. stilly stalker

Don't talk shit about Indian food

I want lamb korma from India Bistro in Ballard right now so badly

plaegreid likes this.
  15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

Crap, now I like you again, you're killing me Charles just killing me.

I on the other hand love the social aspect of fishing and find myself fishing with other people who do appreciate the social aspect of the sport while on the water. I do know that I have unintentionally pissed people off on the water because I'm overtly friendly and I make the mistake of assuming everyone wants to say hi and share stories about their day. For the most part that is the case but everyone in awhile I do run across people that make it quite clear that my happiness and friendliness is unwanted. I leave those people alone, well for the most part anyway. Sometimes those folks will change their minds when they see me catching fish, I don't hold it against them.

So I won't fish with you Charles, but I would be more than happy to have you poke fun at me (as long as you can take it in return) around a fire sometime after a day of fishing. I know it will never happen but just saying.

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Hey, them's fightin' words. Could lead to guns being pulled er sumpin'.

Pat Lat likes this.
  17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Peyton00,

You should read this whole thread. I did. I conclude that guns get pulled because someone was fishin' the wrong way. Or for some other reason . . .

PT, Peyton00 and Irafly like this.
  18. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

Media:
    Lol!!! OK....tri;)...I will agree that nymphing is yes more difficult on the river.... Where we go. But I'm trying, and learning quick:) I will be swinging and nymhing great on my time:) besides....I did catch a bass the other day...nymphing on the river. You got skunked right;) back at ya!

Freestone and Irafly like this.
  19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What a bunch of bull shit. This is why nobody cares how you fish. Every thread that comes up about swingin or nymphin you turn it into some sort of competition. Pure bull shit.

20. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    What's funny is that if you nymphed with an old shitty burkheimer and a hardy reel "because it has soul" all the swing bros would approve of your method.

It's fishing guys, chill the fuck out. If you get this worked up about indicators why not do something useful and take out that anger on gill netters/poachers

plaegreid and Randall Clark like this.