Indicators

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Michael v.d.Bogert, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    Just a question: is there a standard ( how large, collar or type ) for indicators using nymphs for trout.

Thanks
  2. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    Forget indicators and study and practice European nymphing techniques. You will double your hookups.
    McNasty and Michael v.d.Bogert like this.
  3. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

' One of the main advantages of european nymphing techniques is enhanced strike detection achieved by maintaining direct contact with your flies and using sighters for strike detection.'

So there are more European nymphing techniques?
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    The gear and techniques for Euro styles varies. What a lot of people describe as "euro nymphing" is often what I have seen described as the French style. I've use that particular technique (some variation) very successfully for steelhead on small streams, and the inventors of these styles use them in international angling competition for trout, to great effect.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Knowledge/European-Nymphing-Methods

I'm not an indicator expert, I nymph without them 99% of the time, but I suspect you want the smallest one you can get away with as it will make casting easier.

Andy and Mike talk about this on our very own forum, here http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/steelhead-nymphing-strategies.77165/

And I assure you, advice from Andy (Zen) and co about nymphing is quite relevant. He competed on the US fishing team and his gallery is choked with small water steelhead.

This (less than record setting steel) was picked up out of a tiny pocket using euronymphing (no indicator, Czech).

FrenchSteel.jpg
    Michael v.d.Bogert and Jeff Dodd like this.
  5. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    French indicator how to.

Michael v.d.Bogert likes this.
  6. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Hey David I can't open this one..
  7. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Browse to www.youtube.com and search for "V1LNZqJDftY" (no quotes).
  8. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    Start with czech nymphing. Its pretty simple and will enable you to practice fairly easily. Buy the book "Dynamic Nymphing" on amazon. It will give you everything you need to know. I ditched indicators about a year ago and never looked back. However if you find it isnt for you you want the smallest indicator possible that will still stay afloat. You have to think the more sensitive the better you will be able to detect the strike. The problem with indicators is your fly gets taken and spit back out so fast without any feedback to the indicator you never knew you had a take. But of course there are the fish that commit and take that thing under with a vengeance!
    Michael v.d.Bogert and FinLuver like this.
  9. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +289 / 0

I doubt there is a standard. I think you want to go with the smallest most visible indicator that will float your fly at the depth you want it to float.

Personally I always like using the "hopper dropper" method instead of an actual indicator/bobber. Or any foam bug with a bright white or orange top so it's visible. This works for light stuff, fished in close. I would use tungsten beads on my nymphs to get them down fast. I'd also use straight tippet (preferably flouro) instead of a tapered leader, helps get down faster as well. If you go straight tippet directly from your fly line you'll have better line control as you drift your fly through the run.

Edit: foam bug for indicator because at least if a fish strikes your indicator you'll have a shot at it. You'd be amazed at how many fish will strike your indicator. Weird but it happens quite a bit. ;)
  10. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Are you talking strictly river fishing or lake fishing? Either way, but especially in stillwaters, try to stay away from round indicators. They are harder to detect strikes. I use tear drop indicators, and I also like my indicators in the larger range to truly float heavier bugs.
  11. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Thank you all for sharing this realy professional information!

Now I have to read and make up my mind what I can use best in my fishing spots.