"Inexpensive" fast action 10' 8wt rod?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Mar 30, 2006.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The Sage XP rod action is my very fav. of all that I've ever cast. That said, I do want a 10' fast (similar) action rod ... but not at the kind of price.bawling:

Suggestions of other (less expensive) rods with a similar action would be greatly appreciated.
    Fred

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Build your own or buying factory made rods? For building your own, the Rainshadows RX 7+, RX 8, St. Croix SCV for starters...

:cool:

3. Charlie Erdman

Charlie Erdman In search of steel

Try one of the TFO rods...i dont think they make a 10' 8wt in their TiCR-X and TiCR models, which are their fastest. I do think they make a 10' 8wt in their Lefty Kreh professional series line, which I believe is medium fast. I've casted the TiCR rods and they cast great. Hope this helps.

Charlie Erdman

4. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

TFO Ticr X! Can't beat it for the money!

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

There are alot of great deals out there on GLX's.

6. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

try the winston vapor, you will be impressed to death. Boi

7. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

I went to a local shop the other day to try two rods in particular, one of which being the Sage Fli. I test drove a 9' 6wt, and it felt really nice to ME. I'd never cast a fast action rod before (so I can't compare it to the XP). I've only cast moderate and moderate-fast, so I didn't know what to expect.
    The Fli, at $295, is on my wish list now.

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Many thanks fella's; most of these rods are 'locally available' for test drives.
    Fred

9. Philster

Philster Active Member

A little looking may result in finding a nice used Loomis IMX. What? Did I stutter? You heard me, IMX! I find this 10 year old technology rod to have the exact same action (in the 10ft 7wt I own) to the XP. It doesn't recover as fast, but the flex pattern is the same if you ask me. Sweet sticks. Only problem is I find the tip tops to be on the small side for versitip or other looped lines, but that's an easy fix.

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

For the dinero . . .

The TFO Professional is the deal, hands down.

If you can spring for $300, be all over the Sage FLi or the Winston Vapor, or is it the Ascent? whichever is the faster action of the two.

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

You need to check out the Redington CPS 10' 8 weight 4-piece.....many have compared the action favorably to the XP...and at 249.00 a good $$$$
    Good Luck :) :) :)

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Great info; pad and pencil are at work .... the "search" is narrowing down.:thumb: