Inexpensive footwear to wear under fins

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Richard Olmstead, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I wear a pretty-much worn out pair of wading boots under my fins when float-tubing. I need to get something to replace them (and I don't want to use my newer wading boots, which are rather big and bulky). I'd like something that can be worn into and out from lakes a modest hike from the road (rarely more than a mile), so I don't want to use just a pair of neoprene booties over my waders.

Any suggestions?

D

2. grsmith51

grsmith51 New Member

I had the same issue so I bought a pair of light boots from cabelas specifically for that purpose. Found them in their catalog but have not had a chance to try them out yet. Only issue I see is that they have a felt sole. I had no problem getting them on as they zip up the inside of the leg and they also have a notch for securing the heel to your fin.

Greg

3. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Media:
    Big 5 always has cheap hiking boots and shoes on sale for $20. I buy a pair one size larger so they will fit over my wader feet.

4. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    Not sure about how they'd do over waders, but in the summer I just wear a pair of Hodgman neoprene flats boots in the water.

[​IMG]

Mine have a zipper on the front and a velcro strap on the heel to keep them snug. Not a lot in the way of support, but I've done a little bit of hiking in to lakes with no issue. They are much more low profile than normal boots, too. They run about $35 or so if memory serves.

Irafly likes this.
  5. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Richard, how about old tennis shoes? They come in an asounding variety of styles and constructions, are not bad to walk in and can be purchased (even new) at a lot of places.

I have supplied friends with these in emergencies and it has worked pretty well. The shoe just has to fit over the wader bootie. No problemo.

Jerry

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I did the tennis shoe thing for years but bought those models with a velcro closure instead of laces. I would take my waders and heavy socks to a discount shoe store and try everything on until I got just the right fit. The shoes were usually in the $15-$20 range back then. They were perfect for short hikes in and saved felt bottom boots a lot of grief.

When I got them home I would take an electric kitchen knife and trim the soles until they just fit in my fins. By fitting them up close they don't tend to come loose. I am thinking about going back to that system this year as they are lighter and dry faster that felt bottomed boots.

Ive

7. Islander

Islander Steve

I have used flats boots, kayak shoes, and Cabelas neoprene zip up wading boot. All work well.

8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to poke around the discount sporting goods stores and Cabelas and see what I can find before the spring season is upon us.
    D

9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I also switched to flats boots years ago; they work well.

10. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    When you use adjustable fins and therefore don't have a specific fin foot pocket size to fit, there are many options. Lots of good ideas listed already. For another one, you can buy neoprene dive booties from 3 - 7mm thick. To accomodate short easy hikes(a mile might be pushing it), you can buy the ones with the heavier molded soles on the bottom ($25 - $50). They are for traversing rocky shores before and after diving.

I have two pair of non-adjustable force fins, one for cool water (XL), the other for cold (XXL). This is to adjust for the different girth of your foot layers. I wear size 14 shoes, and it became both an art and a science to get it just right. But when it comes to icy cold water, I wear a pair of those molded sole dive booties two shoe sizes up, so that my liner sock, fluffy wool sock, and neoprene wader stocking feet easily fit into the dive bootie without compressing the air out of the layers. I just buckle them into a pair of Watermaster fins with the adjustable strap. Very warm for hours.:)

11. Elephant fly

Elephant fly ...tastes like chicken....

Media:
    I also use dive/kayaking booties with molded soles I got at REI for $25...they work well. I have adjustable Force fins that accept the added bulk easily.

12. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

13. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I have used a pair of aqua socks from Target for the last 7-8 years. They are literally $5+/-, and one pair will last 3-4 years. They are not meant for long hikes, but from the truck to the launch they are great, and they are WAY more comfortable and lighter than any other shoes or boots. I get a pair about 2 sizes bigger than I usually wear and they fit over my wader booties. They are basically a cheap version of flats boots, but for about $5 I think they are great. I have no idea the brand in the pic I have attached, but they look something like this.
    14blua.jpg

Edit after fully reading your post: Sorry, I missed the second half your post and am an idiot. Clearly these aren't what you are looking for. My bad.

14. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Go shop at your local thrift store I am sure there is a selection of shoes there you could use. I once forgot my jacket on the way to RF in Jan. nice jacket in Ellensburg thrift store