inflatable boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by toadthedry, Jun 12, 2004.

1. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

I am thinking of getting an inflatable boat for the purpose of taking one of my kids at a time (age 9,9,7) to fish in some lakes that require a short hike in. I have seen some advertisements for boats from sevylor and sea eagle and know there are other brands too.

Can anyone recommend a make and model.
    Also are the boats safe-ie do they flip easily and can they be rowed around in a moderate wind?

thanks
    mike

2. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

the watermaster! they are a sponsor of this site, but that is not the reason. i have had mine for about 15 years. my grandkids have oared them since they were 3 or 4 years old and they still love them. when several kids go i need to bring my old creek u-boat for myself. if you are ever in the othello area let me know and i will meet you at a lake and you can take one for a spin.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If you get one of these get it in a bigger size. If it says it's for two persons get one that says it is good for three. The two person size is for midgets. I got one two man boat for me and my granddaughter and both of us didn't fit. So get the bigger size. But if you need a little room for all your gear and extra stuff get the four man. THey are easy to row and you can also get a motor mount so you can mount an electric on it.

I've had three of them. Easy to blow up and handle very good.

Jim

4. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

they have an anchor system for them now. i have a holder for my buddy 2 depth finder and 2 rod holders that are attached. i have floated a lot of rivers with ease.

5. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll back the suggestion for a Watermaster on that, it's light enough to throw it on your back and hike it in a decent distance, (weighs 40 pound for the kodiak and fits in a backpack), and is very bouyant. Owens floated two other people on a half day float on the Chimehuin River in Argentina, nothing technical but a few class twos and he had no problem. The most I've carried is four people when I ferried a group of lost Argentinian college girls across a river. Solid boats. Nice idea for the depth finder holder :)

worldanglr
    http://www.worldanglr.com/

Unique one on one fly fishing classes...
    http://www.anglinginstruction.com/

"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerou