Inflating a Buck's Bronco

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Paul Huffman, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I bought a Buck's Bronco from a guy recently, a 2002 model and I'm having trouble inflating the bladders on this boat. I have a cheap big bore air pump, but none of the funnel like attachments fit well into the Buck's little bayonet connection. (Like a big hollow BNC) So I can't get the pressure very high to start with, then when by the time I withdraw the pump, take the bayonet fitting out and close the value, it's pretty soft. Am I going to have to buy the $40 version pump from a fly shop to make this easier? Are those pumps the perfect fit?

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I have a Alpine and I have no trouble pumping it up. I use a hand pump that blows air on the up and down stroke. Also you should have got a adapter to fit in the valve so pumping it up is eaisier. If I was you I would see if the Guy you got it from still has all the gadgets that come with it or contact Buck's Bags and get the Adapter. My hand pump cost me only about $20.00. If it's the same valve I have you have to have it twisted out in order to have it work properly. Just like the valves on a tire,out to hold the air in and depressed to let it out.

Jim

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Old man is right. You just need the adapter. Call your closest fly shop. They may have some in stock, and if not your nearest bucks, or outcast dealer will, since I use the same adapter on my bronco and my super fat cat. I use a coleman two stroke pump I got from TOP supermarket for $9.00. They last about 3 seasons, and then the piston ring will fail. It'll fail sooner if it's regularly exposed to 100+ degree heat.

4. lastcall

lastcall Member

I have the Buck's Bags South Fork and it does use an adapter. I would let you use mine at least to check to see that your Bronco holds air, but I see that you are in Yakima. In any case You should get your own to have and keep with the pontoon boat. You may have to use it during a float.

5. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks guys. I think I have the adapter. Isn't it the inch long tube that goes in the filler hole and locks down with a quarter turn like a bayonet or a BNC. I think my problem is I'm trying to fill it with that valve stem like deal in the center pushed in. So that valve is like a one way valve and I should fill with that thing out?

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Yes

7. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey, a little piece of duct tape around the adapter and it fits in the pump tube fine. I put it all together and must admit I'm getting aroused. Is that normal? Aside from that, I have a 3" long piece of 3/4 in. clear tubing left over. What is that supposed to be for?

8. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Could that clear tubing perhaps be the adapter? That's what I use for my Outcast - not sure of the diameter of the tubing, but it slips right onto on the end of the air tube of my double action pump (without using any of the adapters that came with the pump) and it fits very nicely into the valve. I think I've used the same piece of clear plastic tubing as an adapter to pump up my brother's Bronco as well.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    When you get old the first thing that goes is your memory. I forgot what the second thing was.

I had a South Fork that I had bought many years ago and to inflate it it used a simular thing like that. It was a valve stem like those used on tubeless tires. Well the big end of it fit in the clear tubbing and the other end of the clear tubbing fit over the valve on the pontoon. So that was I could use a tire pump to blow them up or go to a gas station and use their air pumps. But the newer models all have the newer one way valves.

Jim