info on everett pier area needed

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sourdoughsmitty, Jul 27, 2013.

1. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I took a drive over from cashmere yesterday to fish the everett pier area (10th st ) no one was fishing but I was there to crab that was good took a long time to limit out on dungie --too many juvies and females. It looks like this is the mouth or estuary of the the sno homish is it ?if so how well does it fish? special interest as the pink run is getting ready to start ,I am shore bound so any info on this area would be great I like catching my pinks and chums close as possible to the salt for better table quality. I also ventured to the edmonds pier but wrote that off as getting a fish out of the water that high up is a pain and I was dodging a lot of lead out there then having still more time on my hands I went down to golden gardens (I grew up in this area) and looked at the meadow point area a lot of wind so I did not try this time .also planning a trip out to westport dock or jetty soon but with the regs on days I can fish for salmon seems like a losing prop due to my days off fri -sat of course according to the regs those days area no go but there is still bottom fish most of which by protection or off season I cannot touch in the sound. any advice especiall on everett would be appreciated as most trips are spur of the moment thanx smitty
  2. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0

Lately I've taken to fishing the beaches around there, from Picnic Point to a roadside mini-park north of the 10th St. pier, with a rather spectacular lack of success. I mostly avoid the fishing docks because of the crowds and crab nets and questions, like "Any Luck?" . What is it about tears and slumped shoulders and a dejected look that they don't understand?

Lately I've been thinking about getting on that free Jetty Island ferry that leaves from the boat launch area about every half-hour and trying to fling some flies from the island.

It seems like such an obvious place, right at the mouth of the Snohomish. It can't be illegal, can it? I believe it's a nature preserve, but it's not like I'm gonna club any baby seals or anything. And yet, I've never heard of people fishing there, nor do I remember anybody fishing the one time I visited. I guess I'll have to go see. If you find out, let us know. I will, too.
  3. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +641 / 0
    I would try fishing off the beach at kayak pt . park its fairly close to the mouth of the stilly and way more room to fly fish + you could camp there.
  4. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    hey thanx for the info I was wondering if anyone was going to reply , no I do not fish the piers as they are not conducive to feather flinging although with the pretense of a crab pot soaking I do get some intel ,looks like I will be busy in the cashmere area as they just opened up the lower wenatchee to nookies 5 minute walk from my door gotta fish wait for no man smitty:D
  5. Paul Potter Member

Westport, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Flyfool,
    Be careful of the mud holes. Back when I was young and stupid, I stepped out of my kayak in shallow water in that area and was lucky to only lose a boot in the mud.
  6. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    oooooh that fateful sucking sound :oops: even worse is back home in ak the mud flats in front of anchorage yep I'll be sure to be careful thanx for the heads up smitty
  7. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    No problem. I am no longer young and stupid. I have, though, refined my stupidity to a razor's edge. You can't do both.
  8. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA

I checked the website, and it appears fishing is okay. I will try it. A little worried about the 30-minute ferry schedule, though. Half an hour on an island with a quivering moist pink in my arms...could be a long time.
  9. Jeff Sturm Member

Everett
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    FF--when you going? I wouldn't mind tagging along. I've been hitting up Picnic Point and Meadowdale with no luck. I live in Everett (near Howarth Park) and have been curious if this area is good for anything. I've been thinking that the Snohomish estuary must be productive for SRCs starting soon--not sure if the Pinks are up this early...

New to the area, but planning on staying put for a while.
  10. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA

I drove along the area this weekend. Late start, low tide, both days. Found Howarth Park, eventually. Lovely place; meandering creek under the boardwalk, shady trees, a few flights of stairs leading to the railroad overpass.

From the overpass I enjoyed the view. A nice beach, uncrowded. A few families frolicking, four or five guys wet-wading and casting buzz-bombs I guess. A fellow was amusing his dog by throwing a ball for the dog to fetch right out where the other guys were fishing. Splash splash, bark bark....I wondered if the fishermen were amused.

I peered down to the beach and observed the eight or so flights of switch-back stairs that led there. I thought about hauling all my stuff down there and joining them. Then I thought about dragging my stuff back up those stairs.

Then I strolled back down the stairs and over the boardwalk and meandering stream beneath the shady trees and got in my car and drove to Everett.

The place I have been looking at was mud flats as far as the eye could see, but I took careful note of where the streams carved their way into the mud, in case I am ever there at high tide.

Then I drove down the road to the boat launch / park / ferry landing for Jetty Island. Lovely place, really. I bought a breakfast sandwich and a cup of coffee at the snack bar and settled down on a bench in the sunshine and watched people launch their boats. Everything went smooth as silk; people knew what they were doing. No yelling, no cussing, no hilarious boat-launch disasters. Pleasant, but boring.

I drove down to Edmonds and noticed a jetty north of the ferry dock that looked like it might be interesting if accessible at high tide. I noticed a spit of land a few hundred yards north of that and couldn't figure out how to get there.

I still think I'll try the Jetty Island deal at a better time and tide. There is a kiosk where you grab a departure ticket, and when you get to the island you grab a return ticket for a specified time; some are reserved, so a casual visitor should arrive earlier, I guess. But all that info is posted on the mainland side.

So this weekend was just a pleasant scouting of possibilities; I never did wet a line. Nice enough at that, though.
  11. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    flyfool likes this.
  12. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Thanks for posting that, ten80. I thought it was only Bracketts Landing but I see now it's way more extensive than that. Probably saved my ignorant ass from a citation. I owe you a beer! Thanks again.
  13. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    No problem. I work right next to the ferry and am bummed that I can't go make a few casts off a beach at lunch.
    flyfool likes this.