information on the Lochsa???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I'm wanting to hit up the lochsa and am looking for any information on it? i.e. good time to go where to try. I've been to the hot springs with my wife and just loved the area and decided I wanted to fish it. I was thinking on heading up there for memorial day weekend? As I figured that the temps would be right to hit up the hot spring and to fish, IF the run off hasn't started yet? So if anyone could give me a idea if this is to late to soon or am I good? also where are some good spot I read a old post on here that gave me a idea but you can never have to many good spots;). So all the information you guys can give me about it at any time as I will be going up there often, as its a easy place to talk my wife into going.:)

2. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Late May is just about peak runoff. Probably not great fishing then. I've fished it in late summer and had a blast on dries.

D

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    The folks at Three Rivers Resort, at Lowell on Highway 12, are gearing up for the whitewater season right now. You'll just about be hitting peak run off. I usually fish the Lochsa and Selway in later summer into fall.

You can check water levels at http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=13337000 .

4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Lochsa slippery bowling-bowl shaped rocks in that river...

constructeur likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I've also fished it in late summer with great success using yellow Humpies. ... also, no one else on the river. One of the best dry fly fishing trips we've ever taken. Just about everywhere we stopped on the upper river, we caught cutts....

45292954.jpg

6. Ray

Ray Active Member

Mile Marker 114.5 on Memorial Day Weekend will be a great place to hang out (Lochsa Falls). The whitewater runs out around the 4th of July. Later in the season there's good fishing around Dead Mule Flats (mm 128.5).

Freestone and GAT like this.
  7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Pay attention to Wadin' Boot-the Lochsa is about the snottiest trout stream to wade I have ever been in.

Ive

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I couldn't remember the name of the section until Ray mentioned it. Dead Mule Flats is where we did quite well.

(Wading the Lochsa is a bit tricky but NOTHING compared to wading some of the Oregon coastal rivers like the Siletz -- if you can manage to stand up while wading across the Siletz, everything else is easy. :p)

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Like Ray said, Memorial Day weekend is famous for whitewater on the Locsha. Google "Locsha Memerial Day Madness" and you'll see what I mean. Here's an example:

dfl and flybill like this.
  10. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    The water should still be high. It will be in FULL MADNESS MODE that weekend, its fun to go and watch so of them run the rapids. It is hard to say what and when the run off will take place. July-Sept on the Locsha holds some of my favorite dry fly trout water

11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    All the above being true, if Memorial weekend is the time you have to make a trip, don't leave your rod and big dry flies behind. Carefully probe the softer water along the edges, the cutts will be hanging there to avoid working so hard. Also try some of the tribs; the spawning size fish will still be in many of the tribs.
    D

12. Eric Denny

Wow thanks guys and I wade the spokane and its pretty slick so I should be alright I'm guessing but I will just have to hold on tell later in the year to really do what I want, just kind of sucks because I did the hole" we could go to the hot springs for memorial day weekends and I was planing on more of a fishing trip than a soaking trip just knew I could talk her into it that.lol So @richard olmstead what tribs are you talking about or are you being in general? I was even thinking of trying the small one on your way to the hot springs any idea if that holds any thing? and this memorial madness you guys are talking about what area is that in I mean it looks like it would be a blast.....to watch.lol

13. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    If you are referring to Jerry Johnson hot spring, I'm sure that stream holds fish. Any trib of any size is worth exploring with a fly rod and a handful of dry flies.

14. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    What Richard and Gene said about timing. I really like this one but it's all about when you go. This should explain a lot (2,000ish is about right). 6,000 and above is a lot of water through there...should tell you everything you need to know about Memorial Day.

15. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    Echo on the timing. I was there in September...had the river to myself. Fantastic dry fly fishing. But all my white-water-junkie friends own the river from April - early July, the run off is spectacular and I wouldn't want to even try wading the river.

Great access though. Follows the two lane highway, some nice pull outs, and a few nice campgrounds.

16. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You do need to watch your backcast. The rocks and boulders behind you can cause problems.

John found a riffle that was so full of trout, he'd get a hit on each cast of his Humpy... but he'd miss hooking the fish. Time and time again, he'd cast, a trout would sink his fly, he'd miss the fish. He probably missed 12 strikes.

I finally asked him if he'd bothered to check the hook point on his pattern. He did and sure enough, one of his backcasts must have nicked a boulder and snapped off the spear of the hook. He was not only fishing barbless but pointless.

I'm sure it was just as frustrating to the cutthroat as it was him... a damned bug kept showing up but they couldn't eat it :D

17. Ray

Ray Active Member

The video was filmed at Mile Marker 114.5. It's a huge pullout and will be packed full of cars (vultures) watching the carnage. If you get a chance, drive up Fish Creek and check out the NOAA fish weir. The steelhead run in that creek is the Shangri-La of wild Idaho Steelhead, and the fish bios up there are usually happy to talk to a fellow fish head. As for fishing the tribs, you might be disappointed because of the high water/high gradient combo. That said, Big Sands Creek is a great hike in fishing trip. It goes from this up in the Meadow:
    [​IMG]

To this just downstream:
    [​IMG]

18. Eric Denny

So from what I get don't hold my breath on finding much to fish up there at the end of may. Wait tell aug sept?? @ Ray how far up is the big sand creek and do you know the mile marker or can you give me a idea of where to look? Also where about is fish creek. I have been to the loscha twice and both times I didn't get to look around much. I am thank full for all the advice but if you can give a little more directions it would help. All I really know is the hot spring and the lodge. I'm guessing down from this but about how far? Thanks Ray

19. Ray

Ray Active Member

Big Sand Creek is up a couple of dirt roads out of Powell. It's a couple of mile hike to get in, but if the road is open, it very well could be the best fishing in the area for that time of year. Lat:46.367085 Long:-114.596174 Fish Creek comes in just downstream of the Fish Creek River Access around mile marker 122. The river access is a HUGE pullout and is well signed. For reference, the pullout for Jerry Johnson hotsprings is at MM 156.

20. Eric Denny

ok now I have a question because I was thinking about it. When you are heading to the lochsa by the montana route I seen a sign that said fish creek is this the same fish creek just higher up or over depending on how you look at it? and if the road is open can you drive all the way to it or do you still need to hike in?