information on the Lochsa???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 11, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,592 / 0
    What's up with the Selway? Virginia and I tried fishing it and didn't do worth a hoot. Beautiful river but no fish for us. Not at all like the Lochsa.

I have a black bear story about Gin and I stopping to fish the Lochsa on the way to YNP but I'll save that for another thread.
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    A map of Idaho would help you out. That way you can explore and find these little gems by yourself.
  3. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    @old man I thought that was what the forums are for to find new spots? Or find out if spots are worth looking into? that way you can spend more time fishing less time looking.
  4. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    @ gat I would love to hear any story you have.:) And it doesn't have to be about fishing just a good story.But glad to see you said that the lochsa is good fishing.
  5. Ray Member

Post Falls, ID
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    The fish creek you may be thinking of is probably on the Clark Fork. Maybe not, but the one on the Lochsa is about 45 miles or so downstream of Powell and doesn't have any other road access. As for Big Sand Creek, it's still a hike even if the road is open, but it's on a nice FS trail.
    flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  6. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    The Selway has no fish ;)
  7. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    The Lochsa is just beautiful in late summer/early fall, low and crystal clear. From one of the little Forest Service campgrounds, you can step into fine, very fishable pools and runs. Take twenty-thirty minutes to walk through the Bernard DeFeo Memorial Grove of splendid huge cedars, on both sides of the highway.
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +721 / 1
    Lochsa is a great river to fish, slippery rocks and all. It has great access for miles and miles. Your timing will be crap shoot with spring run-off, but hopefully it will be moderate flows and you get some early action.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    The folks on this forum almost never give out as much info as you're getting in this thread. You even got GPS coordinates for pet's sake! If you had asked about some productive Sea Run Cutthroat beach or creek near Seattle you probably would have been been met with silence if not open derision. The prevailing opinion is that finding your own spots builds character. ;)
    McNasty likes this.
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    It isn't exactly a secret river... the hwy follows right next to it forever. I first read about it in Fly Fisherman magazine back in the early 80s.

I don't think anyone is giving up anything that hasn't been published for years and years in national flyfishing magazines.
  11. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Gene -

I've had the same experience on the lower Selway. Hardly a fish to be had, even though the Lochsa was fishing great.

I think there are a couple explanations. First is that there are a ton of campgrounds along the lower Selway and it probably gets hammered by the catch and fry crowd, whereas the upper Lochsa (above wilderness gateway), where most fly guys go, is C&R. Second is simply that the most popular part of the Lochsa is well above the confluence with the Selway; I've never fished the lower section, below the C&R zone. I'm guessing it isn't as good as the upper section. The better comparison would be the upper C&R section of the Lochsa with the upper Selway, which is only accessible via the Magruder corridor or on foot.

D
  12. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Richard, I think your explination is as good as any. We only fished the C&R section of the Lochsa and didn't walk into the upper Selway.
  13. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I worked at Kelley Creek the first year that put in Catch and Release regulations. There were NO FISH in the river and it was a 50 mile dirt road to the Ranger Station.

The difference in a few short years was nothing short of amazing. Converted me to catch and release.
  14. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Vladimir, that's fascinating. What year was it that they instituted C&R on Kelley Creek?

My experience in the north fork over the years (all well after the reg changes) is that the reaches that are not C&R on the mainstem also fish well (they have a 2 fish limit). Do you think the changes in Kelley Creek have led to a fundamentally different sort of angler who fishes there?

D
  15. Ray Member

Post Falls, ID
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    July Lochsa fishing is excellent down low if you have a boat and fish the left side of the river. As a general rule, you'll catch 3x as many fish on the left side as you will on the right. I like fishing the sections between all of the big rapids (mm112-mm117)because it's water that everybody just drives by. Leave the waders at home, bring a pfd, and wet wade knowing that you can go from knee deep to over your head in half a step.
  16. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Well I am thank full for all the info everyone is giving me. So thanks to every one who has put something into this thread. And please keep giving me all the advice you feel you can give because I am open ears.
  17. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    If you were to ask about fishing in Washington you would probably end up with nothing. Al lot of people here put in time and gas to find good places to fish. I used to fish and tell but I don't do it much anymore. Exploring is what it's all about.

Just think if you had some places that you wanted to keep secret, would you tell about them on an open forum. Just think how many lurkers there are out there just waiting for a juicy spot to get broadcasted out.
  18. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    It was 1972 when C&R came to Kelley Creek.

The other river that is more similar to your North Fork question is the St. Joe. I wrote the management plan for the St. Joe Wild & Scenic River in 1979. The limit at that time was two fish over 13 inches.

While I was writing the management plan I fished or walked every inch of the classified river. I believe that entire summer I caught maybe a half dozen fish over 13 inches and several of those were in the Wild portion (roadless area).

Cutts on Idaho rivers migrate up and down based on water temperature. A little known fact that Idaho Fish and Game asked me to remove from my management plan!! So the larger fish get removed as they move up and down the river.

I have not fished the Joe since I wrote the management plan, but it seems from the stuff that I read that there are LOTS more fish over 13 inches.

Don't get me wrong the Joe was full of fish in 1979. I had days where in three hours I probably caught 50-75 fish with a fish on virtually every cast. Only six or more were over 13 inches. Catch and kill is deadly on large fish.

The fisherman changed on Kelley Creek from primarily bait and gear fisherman to fly fisherman. That first year in 1972 hardly anybody fished the river.

I like the selective fishery concept with gear fisherman allowed with single barbless hook. I have run into lots of gear fisherman that support selective fisheries simply because they get to catch large fish. However, most of those still kill one fish and that does impact the fishery. But that is better than a regular 5 fish limit lake outcome.
    Builder likes this.
  19. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Well if it makes any one feel better all I fish is c&r. I live but the saying you catch them to let them go so you can't catch them when they grow. And@ old man I can see where you are coming from but I wasn't so much asking a spot as I was asking info on a spot I plan on fishing any ways. So if I offended you I'm sorry thats not what I was trying to do, and I'm not asking any one for there honey hole.
  20. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +267 / 0
    Overall yeah on wet wading out there, I always look forward to that. But I'd keep something handy that covers the legs that time of year. Bugs can be anything from annoying to downright nasty at certain times.