Input on new GLoomis GLX Max Line Speed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bmd1324, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Bmd1324

Bmd1324 Guest

I was curious if anyone has fished with G Loomis' new GLX Max Line speed before. I love fast tapered rods, and i haven't fully decided if i want the GLX or a Sage XP. Please let me know what you guys think!

2. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    I have cast and fished them both. The GLoomis is definately the "softer rod" of the two. If you have a smooth stroke, it is a great rod. If you have more a powerful cast, the XP is a better choice. I was casting both in a 3 wt and decided to go with the GLoomis as I was looking for a fun dry fly rod with a nice soft delivery. All in all, they are both great rods! Whichever you choose will be great. Good luck!

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Skip the Oldsmobile and Cadillac...Go for the Corvette..The Sage TCR..or so I've been told....it leaves all fast tapers behind.

4. Bmd1324

Bmd1324 Guest

I think the rod your talking about with G Loomis is their High Line Speed, because the MAX line speed only comes in a 9' 5wt. I have casted the High Line speed, and it was a little soft for me. That's why i was curious about the MAX Line speed; supposebaly it is suppose to have an extra stiff feel.

5. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I reckon I'm the sllloooowwww guy on the board, cause I can not understand the obsession with fast, ultra fast, and ect. taper rods...I'm not trying to piss anyone of ya off, I'm just curious.

From the folks that I have shared a cup o'joe with thru the years and from fellas I have met on the river banks they all seem to say things like "my arms are tired and my back is getting sore.

For a 3 wt I would assume that a soft action rod would be the norm, I'm in the works of trying to find me a bamboo in this weight to build just for that.

I'm just curious I suppose, any insight from y'all will be listened too...

;)

6. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    My .02 on the topic...

I have been a fan of the GLX rods from loomis for the past 7 years or so and currently own 5 of them. About 2 years ago, I purchased a 6 weight 9 foot rod but had it broken this past fall. When I took it in to have it replaced, it was "upgraded" to the new "GLX" Stream dance High Line speed. I find the new "GLX" to be slightly faster than the old GLX, and I think the GLX is still slightly faster than an XP. I'd love to throw the Max line speed, but I'm very happy with the "high line speed".

It is my opinion that the Sage XP was designed after the GLX. The predecesor to the XP was the SP, a rod that is moderately fast. While the SP is still a good rod, the XP is a better rod IMHO. The diameter of the blank is more on order with that of a GLX and the action is somewhat equivalent to the GLX. The XP is a nice rod, I was glad to see Sage manufacture a faster rod than their SP. When the SP first came out, I didn't think a better rod could be made but then I cast a GLX...

Why do I like faster rods? I like faster rods because they deliver higher line speed. I do not find casting them takes more energy or that they're tiring to cast, in fact, maybe just the opposite.

In the case of a rod, the action is potential energy. The more potential that the "spring" has, the more work it can do in the same amount of time and that equals higher line speed = distance, and in many cases, distance is my friend.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Just to get it straight...the SP was the best .......came along in G.Loomis GLX ....after that was an XP and since then?.......The TCR is the only thing I can think of better in terms of fast action...?

8. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

My current favorite dry fly rod is a 4-weight that I built on a supposedly fast action blank. Turns out to be anything but fast, and I don't care, because it turns over line and leader like a lover dropping her slip. I don't need dagger-thin loops to deliver an emerger at thirty feet.

I don't think that we value a fast, medium or slow action because of its mechanical perameters. I think we prefer an action that matches our internal rythyms. You may have the fast-twitch moves of a Chinese ping pong champion, but if, like me, you're frequently humming "Up a lazy river/ By the old mill stream" as you fish, you'll probably prefer a slower action.

9. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    How to choose a fly rod.

Some good info I dug up on the pluses and minuses of rod actions. Remember the "slow action" rod mentioned below is high/max line speed. It's kind of counter intuitive.....

Fly rod "Action"

With more people coming into the sport of fly fishing, we get many questions concerning a need for information in regards to the purchase of fly rods. It can be a confusing step with so many varieties and new technology, not to mention the terminology. This page is designed to give you some help in knowing more about fly rods, their "actions" and their purpose.

If there is any part of a fly rod and the terminology that goes with it, that would be safe to say is confusing, it would have to be the term "action". Now, unless you already know about fly rods, knowing what the action of a fly rod is doesn't really help you much. So, before you invest in this piece of equipment it is necessary to understand the term action. It is also just as important to decide what type of fishing you will be doing with a specific rod. For example, if you are going to fish steelhead on a large river then a fast action may be perfect for you. If your time is going to be spent chasing browns on a smaller stream, then a fast action may not be the best choice. The action of a fly rod refers to how flexible the fly rod is.

There are three main actions of a fly rod. Generally they are "fast", "medium" and "slow".*

A fast action rod is not, what you would call a very flexible rod. The fact is, a fast action fly rod is somewhat stiff throughout* the entire length of the rod, with only the upper portion of the rod, near the tip, having flexibility. What this means to you is that in the casting process, only the rod area near the tip will bend in any appreciable manner. The rest of the rod, for the most part, will stay straight. This in turn relates to power or to a term "line speed". A fast action fly rod has more power. This allows for longer casts, with one reason being the stiffness of the rod allows more fly line to be held up, and the second reason is more line speed to allow you to shoot more fly line out. Another advantage of a fast action rod is that you have the ability to fight and land much larger fish. So, with this information let us look at the advantages and disadvantages of a fast action rod.

Advantages of a Fast Action fly rod:

1) Excellent for the angler who wants and needs to make consistently longer casts.**

2) A fast action fly rod makes it much easier and quicker to land larger fish.

3) Because of high line speed, casting in windy conditions is much easier and more effective.

4) Quick casts - this is a feature that you will appreciate as you become more advanced.

5) The ability to cast larger and more wind resistant flies, such as bass fisherman.

6) Roll casting larger flies.

Disadvantages of a Fast Action fly rod:

1) Fishing on small streams. Requires shorter casts and a soft presentation.

2) Light tippets. Fast action rods put more strain on a lighter tippet.

3) A steeper learning curve. A beginner will find it more difficult when it comes to control and accuracy.

A medium action fly rod is just that, in the middle. A medium action fly rod will bend moderately for about half of the overall length. This make this action the most versatile of fly rods. They can make long casts, with experience but, they function quite well for smaller water conditions. A medium action is quite forgiving as well, especially when it comes to the beginner. Beginners can pick up casting much more quickly and have good control in a relatively short time. The slower line speed of a medium action rod gives the beginner more control over where the fly line and the fly ends up.

Advantages of a Medium Action fly rod:

1) Maximum versatility. If you only want or can afford only one rod.

2) Perfect for the first time beginner. Easy to learn, with control and accuracy.*

3) Small stream fishing and softer presentations.

Disadvantages of a Medium Action fly rod:

1) Long, consistent casts are tougher on the angler.

2) Hard to handle in windy conditions.*

3) Less rod "backbone" to handle bigger fish.

4) Less power to handle bigger flies.

A slow action rod is a very flexible rod, and bends significantly for most of it's full length. They do not generate high line speeds and are designed for anglers that fish smaller fish on smaller waters, such as spring creeks and small tributaries, where tight quarters dictate short and accurate casts.

Advantages of a Slow Action fly rod:

1) When tight quarters require short and accurate casts.

2) Soft presentations, especially related to dry flies.

3) Fun for smaller fish, meaning that a 8" fish feels much larger.

4) The ability to fish very light line and small flies.

Disadvantages of a Slow Action fly rod:

1) Slow line speed, so the ability to make long casts are difficult.

2) Fishing in windy conditions turns into real work.*

3) Inability to throw flies with any size.

4) Overall versatility very low. Slow action rods are restricted to very specific conditions.**

Fly rod "weight"

Your next factor in deciding on a fly rod is what "weight". This matter is really quite simple when you understand what the term "weight" refers to. "Weight" is a numbering system devised by the industry to keep all things equal. Fly lines are measured by grams. Grams are not the easiest way to measure things, so the industry came up with a numbering system. The numbering system covers a range from 1 thru 14, 1 being the lightest and 14 the heaviest. To determine your fly line weight is the easy part, it goes by the species of fish or the size of fish that you are fishing for and the conditions of use. Below you will see a summary of line weights for fishing various species:

Weight* 1-3:* Small Trout Panfish and other small fish. Small flies and short casts.

Weight* 4:* Panfish and small to medium sized trout. Small to medium size flies and short to medium casts.

Weight* 5-6:* Medium to medium large trout and smaller bass. Medium to medium large flies. Longer casts.

Weight* 7-8:* Large trout, large bass, steelhead, small salmon. Large streamers and large flies. Long casts.

Weight* 9-14:* Large salmon and saltwater. Big flies.

These are general recommendations by the manufacturers. Once you know the species and determine your line weight, you match the rod by weight also. The match is important because a rod labeled 5wt. is designed for optimum performance with a 5wt. line. This also applies to your reel selection as well.

Fly rod "length"

When choosing the length of your fly rod it is best to consider where and how you will be fishing. 7', 8' and 9' are the basic lengths. If you are going to fish small streams with abundant brush, then a 7' rod is your best bet. With short rods you lose power. So, 7' rods would be for short casts and tight quarters, 8' rods are best for small to medium rives and 9' rods would work the best for large rivers and lakes. Keep in mind that longer rods allow for longer casts and improve your ability to mend line easily.

Hopefully this information will be helpful to you and the decisions that you need to make when acquiring your next fly rod. It is important that you decide prior to your purchase, what you will be fishing for and where. Fly fishing can be a world of fun, especially when you have the right equipment.

10. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    I havnent' tossed the GLX, but I have tossed the GLoomis Metolius, Sage FLi, VPS & Xp

I ended up with the Metolius because it worked better with my casting style.

Go to a fly shop that has both and try them.

11. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Im kind of curious where the XTR rates between the XP and the GLX as far as being the fastest rod?? I have never cast the GLX but I have cast both the XP and XTR side by side and that is a tough one. I would almost lean towards the XTR being faster than the XP but then again I cast like a baboon on steroids so only take my input with a grain of salt (not that everyone doesnt already :p )

12. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    Actually, the XP replaced the RPL+ as Sage's top-of-the-line fast rod. The SP was replaced by the SLT, which is available in identical length and # of section configurations. They did briefly offer the SP+, which may have been faster than the RPL+. Really the XP and SP are "apples and oranges" - a different target market.

Anyway, a friend of mine tossed the GLX Streamdance? in a 9' #6 yesterday and really liked it, although I think he's leaning towards the 5.

13. Flip

Flip The dumb kid

Media:
    i have cast the 9'5wt GLX max line along side both RPL+ rods and a 7wt XP. the maxline is a sweet stick, i personally, if looking for a fast trout stick, would get the max. if you want small streams, small presentations, medium and or small fish, i also like sages VPS medium fast rods. i have both 3 and 4 wt's and love fishing the 3wt for all trout. its fast enough to punch line into the wind, slow enough to delicatly present a size 20 adams at 15', and cheep enough ( starting in the 300's) to buy 2 compared to the maxline or XP.
    my .02

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    With all of these letters being thrown out there,does everybody know what they all mean or are your all just going thru the program and faking it. I for one know absoluty nothing about the letters except who makes them. To me a fly rod is a fly rod weather it is fast or slow is a moot point.You just sort of cast with the flow of the rod.

This is the opinion of somebody that doesn't care about all of the letters on a fly rod.

Jim

15. Flip

Flip The dumb kid

Media:
    :rofl:

jim your getting senile.

16. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have an original sage XP+ and it is a very fast action rod. The eastern guys couldnt handle it so they dropped it. The biggest demographic pool of buyers just wasnt ready for that much speed in a rod back then. It took me a month of broken tippets to calm down my hooksetting with my sp+. But my accuracy and linespeed were very much improved. I was also getting casting lessons at about the same time :cool:

17. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    So is it safe to assume that when your casting heavy or long sink tips that a fast action rod would make the job of casting them easier?

18. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    We get it already you traditional guys! All of us young whipper snappers have fallen victim to the false advertising of the makers of anything new that ever comes out. It's all hype and we are hypnotized by the cool names, letter, and gadgetry of it all. We are paying more for nothing. So when we humor ourselves and talk about new reels, rods, vest or whatever please don't post. We get it! Let us foolish, money wasting kids convince others to waste more money. The manufactures are counting on us in this elaborate scheme. Let evil win.....

19. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    LISTEN TO MY VOICE,

((((((BUY EXPENSIVE GEAR))))))
    (((((IT"S BETTER))))))
    ((((IT WILL MAKE YOU CATCH MORE FISH)))))))
    ((((((WOMEN WILL ADORE YOU))))))
    ((((MEN WILL ENVY YOU))))))
    ((((YOU WILL RULE THE WORLD))))))

((((((((((((SPREAD THE GOOD WORD))))))))))))

(((((((((GO TO THE FLY SHOP NOW))))))))))

(((((((((((BUY! BUY! BUY! )))))))))))))))))

HA HA HA HE HE HE (pinky finger at corner of mouth)

20. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jason,
    No need to shout, capitals hur my ears.

Peace,
    Andy