Interesting article on still water fishing

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Olive bugger, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +438 / 0
    Just found an interesting article on fishing lakes, written by Tyler Laurenti.

Some good advice for the folks just testing the waters for the first time.

This site just keeps getting better and better.
  2. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +324 / 0
    Is this a test? No link?
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,704 / 0
    Very nice article.
  5. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    Some very good information in there -- thanks for posting!
  6. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Good info the article.

I'm almost ashamed to admit this-
    I think I can attribute a lot of my success on stillwaters (mediocre at best) to two fishing shows I watched as a kid. The shows were Fishing with Roland Martin and The Orlando Wilson Fish Show (thanks to TBS). Almost every episode was fishing for bass, but I still use a lot of what I learned watching those shows, fishing for trout in lakes (reading structure, lake and wind currents, fish travel lanes, ambush points...)
    Son!
    jordan101 and Mark Kraniger like this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,035 / 1
    Whatever happened to Tyler? I know he moved east because of work. He does have some special intel I'd like to get updated.
  8. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Sorry to say, I do not know the Gentleman. I ran across the article by doing a Google search that brought me right back here to our forum and his article. Like I said, this is a great resource. More knowlege in these pages than the average bear will find.
  9. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Tyler explored the seep lakes in detail.
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Maybe I should take up his mission. I am certain that I would not be capable of filling his waders.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    You would be off the beaten path as some of the waters he fished are walk in only.
  12. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    I agree Paul! Even though I hate bass with a passion the bass pro's take it to another level. When it comes to braking a lake down and the sonar and GPS map usage I pay very close attention!

My knew fish finder with good sonar and GPS paid for itself last year!
  13. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,110 / 0
    Tyler moved to New Mexico I believe. He fished with me here on my local lakes once while he was writing the article. I met him in the Seeps at one point where he showed me how to solve the mystery of those desert lakes. He certainly knew his stuff. I don't know if he ever published his spiny ray report or not. I hope so. We fished Shiner Lake in late spring one year and must have caught 100 bluegills apiece on flies right at the surface. Some of the older guys here knew him well and fished with him often.

Ive
  14. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I just ran across another report he made over on WashingtonLakes. com. He must be a heck of a fisherman. Lots of good info.

Now I am getting the fevor again. Might have to go stand in the rain tomorrow.
  15. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    A very nice piece of work!
  16. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,101 / 1
    First I would like to say that the fact that he took the time to write all this up says something about the guy. I've read the article a couple of times over the years and there is some good information in there that will certainly help you catch fish.
    With that comes the "but", there is also some faulty information as well that if followed will leave you not catching fish during key times of the year and of the day. Two things in particular stick out for me. One is the depths comment and the other is fishing in the summer.

Chironomids in particular can live in water depths of more than 50' and when they hatch from those depths fish can and do become quite keyed in on them and you can have phenomenal days out on big deep lakes. Even if the lake is not 50' deep though you can still find fish off the shoals away from the "drop off" feeding freely and happily in the middle of a lake in depths up to 30'. One particular time at Dry Falls (Where most of the pictures are taken, funny aside the water depth in the picture he has of the cliff is reallly shallow), the depths out in the middle well away from any shoals, was the only place fish were being caught and if you didn't have your presentation, down low and slow you were not catching fish. 50+ fish days not on a drop off.

As for fishing in the summer, the distance to the thermocline for fish to recover is negligible in regards to fish survival. Lakes with thermoclines and readily accessible deeper water are in my opinion perfectly safe to fish in the summer and I've seen no evidence or studies to make me think any differently. Do trout survive better in certain temperatures, yep but those temps still exist for the fish and brief exposure to warmer temperatures has been proven to not have a significant effect on mortality rates. Now bad fish handling on the other hand, that causes death year round.
  17. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    If there's one thing I've learned over the years, be it plunking sparkle powerbait or casting a size 18 midge to a distant rise- There are no Absolutes in fishing.
  18. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Tyler was one of the original "He Man" fly dogs of this website. There are some of that crowd still around, though you may only hear from them once in a blue moon. I ran into him once over at Green Lake. He passed on an interesting tip or two. I keep them close to my vest, though they aren't the kind to interest your average angler.

He struck me as the kind who would try just about anything to see what a piece of stillwater would turn up. Not a numbers man but, rather, the kind fueled by curiosity. Backyard and, I believe, Alpinetrout ran with him. Yeah, Tyler left town for other opportunities. Some say he gave up fishing. I can't say myself. But he sure knew his biz.

Tight Lines,
    --Dave