Interesting beach life in MA-13

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Feb 24, 2013.

1. After getting skunked on the Wynoochee for steel because of all the muddy rain run off, I headed to the South Sound today only to be met with high winds and a single tug. But it did make for an interesting finding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know how well you can make them out in the first photo, but there were a dozen or so of these guys under every rock. Just a ton of biomass. Really wish I had some euphasid patterns this morning.

Eyejuggler and formerguide like this.
  2. That's cool! I'm amazed how much life there is in the sound, particularly on the bottom. I guess if asked prior to my first trip out, I would have assumed it was more sandy and sterile, which is obviously not the case at all.

Tell us though, even though it was a slow day, that the one tug keeps you excited! That's all I need, just a taste sometimes. Like golf and shooting something terrible, but that one good drive on number 9, well, it keeps you going.

Thanks again for the cool pic.

Dan

3. Grats on getting out, sorry MA13 was quiet :( but you got some fun in at least and yes even a tug is exciting! I am always finding cool little things like the crab fest there! Tie up some of those little crab larvae and see what happens!
    We took the furry kids to the dog park near Gig Harbor and I gotta say the wind looked grim. Kinda glad I didn't go out today but tomorrow...I am hoping will be calmer (just dreaming I know) and mebbe I can get some action in a protected bay. We shall see.
    Cheers!
    Dave

4. The beach crabs are all over the Sound; under every rock. Those kinds of finds are what make the sound unique. I used to take my students on beach walks every year and they loved the crabs. Inner city kids rarely get a look at something like that even though the Sound is right there. I've found massive beds of anemonies and lots of moon snails. The most interesting I've found are chitons and sea slugs. You have to have lots of rocks to find them but it never ceases to amaze me at how interested the kids are and they always have a million questions.

Upton O likes this.
  5. If ya turn over rocks, put them back like you found them. There are alot of very nice invertebrates to be found on the local beaches.

It is too bad that there is not more money for field trips to the beach. I used to go to our local beach with elementary kids and they loved to look for critters.

MB

6. I went every year for 11 years; cost=zero for the trip, zero for a bus to get us there. That was through the Seattle Aquarium. My teaching partner and I took a class that was one week long, 8 hours each day and we were eligible for free Class and Beach Walk plus a free trip to the Aquarium every year (plus a bus voucher) that included a class done by the staff. We had to take a three hour refresher evry three years or so but I think the program is still available to teachers. It's funded through NOAA I believe. They also sent out "Beach kits" to the school that had identification charts and exercises plus a lot of other lessons. If you know an elementary teacher or your kids are in elementary school, you can contact the Aquarium and see if the program is still available. It's called the Ocean Science program. Parents who attended the three hour class and chaperoned the field trip and the beach walk were awarded a one year family membership as well. That's a pretty good deal for a little time spent with your kids.