Interesting concept for camping shelter.....

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Mark Walker, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +225 / 1
  2. Will Crowley New Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The REI flagship has a Cricket parked in the entrance lobby, checked it out a couple weeks ago and thought it was cool enough to investigate more online -- not cheap, you're looking at upwards of $20k with all the options. Did some more checking and came across the R Pod. Curious if anyone knows more about these and other ultra-light trailer options. Seems a lot more functional than the good old tent trailer, but definitely more spendy.

[IMG]
  3. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +321 / 0
    I am 43 now, hoping i make it to 83 before i need a trailer.
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,100 / 0
    Mark, that Olympe looks like somebody's wet dream-an erector set on steroids. Too many pieces. The Cricket is cool but rather ungainly. It looks like it would match up well with a Toyota Tundra Crew Cab. They both look like their frames are bent. At a starting price of almost $17K everything in them is an added extra and by the time it is well equipped for actual use it looks like over $20K for a marginally comfortable unit.

The R-pod looks really cool and would probably tow like a dream. It doesn't need a Belchfire V-8 to drag it around and has enough amenities to be useful for a few days out. It appears to be a well thought out package with quite a bit of storage. Quite a step up from the popup metal teepees and seemingly not a hell of a lot more money. I could spend a lot of happy hours in one of those!

Ive
  5. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    The R Pod is a winner, but almost 2500lbs dry weight and @ +15,000?
    Nice features, but I dunno.
  6. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    We had an R-Pod model 171 for a couple of years and sold it this fall.
    It was a good little rig, but the curves fore and aft make for minimal usable interior space. And the windows were too small for us as well - a drag when the weather was bad. We dragged it all over the place fishing and camping - from California to Alberta and everywhere in-between.
    At about the same weight but with a shorter length, we replaced it with one of these. It feels literally twice as big inside with the huge windows and the slideout - a lot more comfort (and better quality). It's a Lance 1575.

Peyton; it took us to our late 50's to get a trailer. Swore I never would, but boy is it nice to be comfy, dry and warm. And have a happy wife!
    Mark; Used R-Pods go for $10K or less - not too bad.
    Lance 1.JPG Lance 2.JPG
    Kent Lufkin and Kevin J. Burnham like this.
  7. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    That Lance is a very nice little rig. They are a bit pricey though.

This a clip of a Jayco fifth wheel identical to ours except ours is a 21.5 Super Lite (SL) The one in the clip is an SD. I do not know what SD denotes. I believe ours is considerably less weight than 4000GVW stated.

Lots of comfort/storage in ours.
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +683 / 5
    As a kid my parents had a Sears tent trailer. Was a 50s/60s vintage. Folded out like top trailer, but not as big or complicated. Was duck cloth. Had plenty of storage, the trailer itself was a big bed with storage under neath. Wish i had it. I'd use it all the time.

For cost and amount of set up you may as well buy a wall tent and a cargo trailer. You'd still have a ton of money left over to buy gear. Or better yet buy a new drift boat, the wall tent, and gear and stow in drift boat on trips. You'd still have money left over. ;-)
    TD likes this.
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +683 / 5
    12720001.JPG

This is similar. Just my parents folded out more (bigger tent). Since it was about twice as big the door was in the front not the side.
    constructeur likes this.
  10. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Ours is a Forest River Rockwood 122BH A-frame popup, new out the door at almost $15K, with AC/heat pump, hot water, furnace, 3 burner stove, microwave, fridge, porta potti, outside shower, gas BBQ on the outside, AM/FM CD player, inboard water filter and pressure reducer, queen size heated mattress, and puts up in about 60 seconds. loaded weight is just a little over 2K pounds

and I have to admit, it's super comfortable, Tows very well, and yes, it's that easy to set up... I love it!
    Jim Ficklin and Kevin J. Burnham like this.
  11. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    When I compare that Trigano tent thing to my Rockwood, it's kind of a joke! I wasn't kidding about setup time-takes longer to put down the stabilizer jacks than it does to put up the walls & roof. We'll have it this weekend at the Moses Lake Rock shoot archery event. I forgot to add though, that it's wise to go for the steel platform in front, supported by the trailer frame. I can put several WaterMasters and ice chests on it, or campfire wood, or bikes, or a host of other stuff, so it adds nicely to the hauling capacity.

We also decided to get the tent that'll attach to the side of the trailer. If you do this, you'll need industrial-strength velcro to put on the sides, but we've had the tent up in pouring rain at Burlington, and it never leaked a drop. I put a plastic sheet down, then put some astroturf over that, as well as a doormat. A little "buddy" heater, and it's nice and cozy. Gotta come up with a decent gun rack though!
  12. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Alex,

I've heard a lot of good things about those Rockwoods teepee trailers. Thanks for the review.

--Dave
  13. Slate Run Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +33 / 3
    Second that. Thanks Alex.

Dave
    West Seattle
  14. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
  15. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    Those Aussie's know how to live!
    I've got an Australian designed espresso machine... it's awesome.
    Have to give the Australians credit for their ingenuity. But I don't know what the guy's talking about when he says it's made out of....
    "aluminium" !! :D
  16. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    That's pretty slick, Alex. I burned-out over the years towing pull-behinds & 5th wheels. I might have to check those out. How long is the actual box when the house is stowed? Is there a weight capacity limiting what can be lashed to the top?
  17. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    Yeah, there's a 2009 sittin' on Chico Way here in Silverdale and they're asking $10K.
  18. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +110 / 0
  19. Mark Kulikov Active Member

Polson Montana
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    Sent from my little square phone thingy...
  20. splett Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    You guys that are intrigued by that Australian expedition trailer need to check out the forum over at the" Expedition portal
    ' site.

Guys build their own out of military trailers.I am sourcing materials now for a scaled back version.

Probably more information on that site when it comes to camping rigs,trailers.general gear etc than anywhere else.Really a must see site for anybody who spends much time here.