Interesting info. on steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Big Tuna, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I whacked a hatchery steelhead on the Methow this fall and found a small transmitter while cleaning it. I sent the transmitter to a fisheries biologist (I believe he called it a pit tag). He recently sent me the following information:
    1. The fish was first observed at Bonneville Dam on 10/3/04
    2. The fish passed McNary Dam on 10/7/04
    3. The fish passed Priest Rapids Dam on 10/11/04
    4. The fish passed Wells Dam on 10/17/04
    I don't know the distances between those dams, but it seems to me the fish was cruising. Guess she had a mission.
  2. DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Washington.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    This is very cool. Makes you pause a second or two before you bonk one. Even for a hatchery fish.

Now if I could just get a report like this about my teenage daughters.

DLoop
  3. woodway Squeaky Reel

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    1. The fish was first observed at Bonneville Dam on 10/3/04

River mile 146.1

2. The fish passed McNary Dam on 10/7/04

River mile 292.0

3. The fish passed Priest Rapids Dam on 10/11/04

River mile 397.1

4. The fish passed Wells Dam on 10/17/04

River mile = 515.8

Bonnevile to Wells = 369.7 miles in roughly 14 days or 336 hours which gives her a little better than 1.1 MPH average. Not bad considering she was swimming upstream, and had eight dams to traverse!
  4. MauiJim ka lawai'a

Issaquah, WA
    That's really cool you found that and turned it in... the data gained from those is invaluable as they're rarely recovered. Though when that fish passed the dams it was probably logged...

Was it a nice fish? :beer2:
  5. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    That's actually cool to hear of a transmitter inside the fish, interesting.
  6. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    D Loop take it from one who has been there. You DO NOT want to know! They will tell you soon enough when they get into their 20's and then you will pull out your hair and nash your teeth. My 29 year old twins every now and then tell me about some of their exploits. If I would have known then they would still be standing up to eat or I would still be in jail. :D But then my parents could say the same about me, and in spades! :rofl:

Fish are really amazing. I read an artile in the PI a few years back about a Chinook that was tagged off the northern coast of Japan and 14 days later was netted at Illwaco!

The migrations of different species is a captivating study. The inner will to survive is a driving force in nature. For example Monarch Butterflies move way north and way south to survive, but it takes many generations every year to do it. Just something to thing about in our politically clouded world!

Dave
  7. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    The fish was 5-6 lbs. and beautifully colored. However, it didn't put up a fight worthy of a steelhead.
  8. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    It was probably bushed.

Bob, the aren't these fish amazing? :thumb:
  9. Salvelinus Member

WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Thanks a lot for sharing that fascinating info. I would love to hear of more migration patters of tagged fish from anyone who has any stories.
  10. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    That's over 26 miles per day for 14 days straight. Isn't 26 mi the length of a marathon? So, imagine doing a marathon 14 days in a row.
    Very few hikers or backpackers can put in one 26 mile day in a row, not unless they're doing a one day speed-hike with no or little gear. Personally after I've done a weekend trek with only 2 or 3 15-mile days...I'm battered.
    Yup...some amazing creatures. Even more amazing how they just happened to come into being after a bunch of cosmic dust swirled around real fast, something went "bang!" real loud, a planet and solar system with perfect living conditions just by chance sprung out of the ashes, then a bunch of chemicals and electricity just happened to mix together in some inexplicable manner and poof! -out came a living one cell organism that somehow knew how to reproduce and millions of years later just happened to turn into some slimy protozoa thing, which just happened to millions of more years later grew bones and swam in water, and then by chance, billions of years later developed into an andromodous, edible, and nourishing fish for our sporting pleasure ....and even more amazing how the slimy water-borne creature puked up on a beach one day and billions of years later became a chimp....and millions of years later the chimp lost his hair and learned to read and write and had the gall to think that some "supreme being" had anything to do with it. What a crazy notion for chimp/man indeed.
  11. Angler 77 AKA Scott Jones

Port Townsend, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I caught a Chinook out of a Hood Canal river a few years back that was "Pit Tagged". She didn't have any Damns to pass over so the info. was less interesting, but getting the story of her life from the WDFW in the mail later that year made for an interesting read. If I could get a picture to upload (Apparently I should be classified as a "Special Member of the Board") I would share a picture of this beautiful fish, chrome bright, 20'ish pounds and perfectly proportioned.
  12. DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Washington.
    Wetline, I read your post last evening as I hit the sack. It is now midday Saturday and I have had only 1 hour of sleep. Too much thinking about what I don't know. I owe you one. :eek:
  13. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    Thanks for the information. It never ceases to amaze me the determination these fish have and the obstacles they have to overcome native or not.
    Dennis
  14. craigmtb New Member

Auburn, Wa
    The information is awesome. 26 miles a day, did I do 26 miles in the last week?
  15. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    26 miles a day ... uphill ... against the current ... yowza!

How fast did the guy who swam the Columbia swim, with the current, downhill?
  16. woodway Squeaky Reel

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    The uphill or downhill current is not what it used to be, with the Columbia being a series of lakes behind dams. Of course the exception is the Hanford Reach. I've floated between the Vernita Bridge and the Tri Cities, and the current is damn impressive.

If you look at the numbers, it took her a little bit longer to traverse this stretch!
  17. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    It seems things are a little desperate around here. Lot's of talk about basketball, football, and fruitcake, but little about fishing. Thought I'd resurrect this thread from last year and see if y'all have had any similar experiences you'd like to share.
  18. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    Perhaps you might submit a new topic of interest instead of bumping up comparison examples of old threads.

NFR posts are allowed. They are clearly indicated as NFR so you can skip by them. While I don't prefer them either, not much harm comes from them when kept in moderation.

Chris
  19. ZugBug Member

Castle Rock, Colorado
    I missed this one last year. Very cool info!
  20. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    cmtundra- yea i know...evolution is such a faulty concept
    -Tom