Intermediate/Beginners Anti-Cabin Fever Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    This Swap is full.

Okay, I gotta admit I was gonna wait to post this, but what the heck, I'll give everyone some extra time to gather materials and such. Fall is starting to gather on the horizon and the shack-nasties are right around the corner. As a sure fire cure for that ailment that strikes us all when the weather turns so bad we can't get on the water I'm hosting a marathon fly swap for the fall and winter months. Here's the details.

This swap is open to all tyers that have 6 years experience tying or less. As it is a marathon swap, it does require a bit more of commitment than usual. There will be a monthly swap during the months of October, November, January, February, March, and April. If you sign up for the swap, you are signing up for all of them. Notice that we are taking a break for December. Everyone usually gets pretty busy with the holidays.

When you sigin up, send me an e-mail letting me know your choices for the order in which we tackle the following types of flies. One month we all tie dries, then we all tie streamers, etc. In your e-mails please put marathon swap as the subject line so I don‘t delete your e-mail. Please list your choices in order, one through 6.

1. Dry Flies
    2. Wet Flies
    3. Streamers
    4. Terrestrials
    5. Nymphs
    6. Emergers/Cripples

The swap is limited to 15 tiers, first 15 are in, any after that can be put on a call list in case anyone has to drop out. Those things do happen. Everyone will send in a set of 15 flies each month, that way you get one of your own back to make a complete swap set. As usual I will be tying a bonus fly for each category so you’ll be getting 16 flies a month! If there is enough interest, we can run two groups.

The first set of flies will be due to me not later than October 31st and on the last day of every swap month after that. Mail your flies in a crush proof container (Altoids tins work well, as do small Plano compartmented boxes) with each fly toe tagged with your name (Screen Name and Real Name) and the name of the fly. You can include the recipe on the toe tag if you wish, or supply it on the bulletin board. Also include a SASE or postage for return shipping. It’s also a good idea to put your name and mailing address on your container in case the post office has a malfunction and your container gets separated from the envelope.

A lot of the swap communication is done by e-mail so make sure I get your e-mail addy.

If anyone has the ability to photograph the flies so they can be posted in the gallery each month, that would be great. Any volunteers?

This is a great way to improve tying skills and fill your boxes for the next season as well.

Sign up will stay open until we have the swap filled at 15 or September 15th, whichever comes around first.

Ron Eagle Elk
    roneagleelk@netzero.net
    8717 Whitewood Loop SE
    Yelm, WA 98597
  2. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm in

I'm in - sounds like a wondeful idea and thanks in advance. I have no strong feeling on what to tie first - I will probably blast them all out once we get tiers lined up.

email to follow.

Surf Candy
    aka Jim Williamson
  3. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    Sent you an email, REE. I'll get to tyin', can't wait for the first batch!!
  4. Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Bow, New Hampshire, USA.
    Count me In

Ron

I'm in if you'll have me. I will work on picking a pattern and let you know what I'll be tying

Warren
  5. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Marathon Swap

So Far we have Dylon and Theron DePaulo, Surf Candy, Warren and my dear wife Vickie (I am adding her name after she threatened me with a severe beating). 5 Down, 10 to go.
  6. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Man,
    I am in...Although the SRC swap was almost enough to do me in :( But I am addicted.
    Halloween it will be for round 1!
    Best,
    Griswald
  7. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Marathon Swap

Welcome Back Matt. Good to see you sign up. 6 down, 9 to go.
  8. Greg Gilliland Member

Benton City, Wa, USA.
    Iam in. Will send a email soon.

Greg
  9. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hey Greg

Welcome Back Greg. 7 in, 8 to go.
  10. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Marathon

I sent you an email ron. I am in. Thankyou.
  11. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Madison, good to see you back in one of my swaps. Should be fun.

REE
  12. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    marathon swap

Ron,
    I'd like in this swap.
    Sent you a PM.
    Thanks
    Randy Diefert
    aka: longears
  13. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Marathon Swap

Randy, welcome aboard. 9 in, 6 to go. Looks like the long haul has scared off some of the usual folks.

REE
  14. C Van coming soon to a stream near you

Everson, WA, USA.
    is there still room?
  15. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Plenty of Room

SkiBum, yup, plenty of room. We need 6 more to make the 15. Would you like to join us?

REE
  16. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Just bumping it up

Just bumping this up so we don't fall off the page before we fill.
  17. LadyBug New Member

Bothell, WA.
    Hi Ron,
    Yes... you did kind of scare me off, I hate to commit to something so far away, I have a hard time figuring out what I have to have done tomorrow let alone months from now :hmmm:
    However, I did just post the pictures of the fly's from the recent SRC swap, and they came out pretty good this time...so, considering Leaky is making noises about joining, I will take pictures of his and post them for everyone if you like.
    Beth
  18. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    Marathon Swap

Hello Ron,

Sign me up :thumb:
    Just can't get enough of this swappin' thing!

Cheers,
    LT :cool:
  19. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hey Leaky

Leaky, Welcome Aboard, Buddy. Glad to have you in. Also, give our thanks to your lovely other half for being our volunteer photographer. That is much appreciated.

REE
  20. C Van coming soon to a stream near you

Everson, WA, USA.
    If there is still room count me in