Intermediate Line

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by m.albrecht@comcast.net, Mar 10, 2013.

1. m.albrecht@comcast.net

m.albrecht@comcast.net Member

2. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

In the good ol' days, we had the Scientific Anglers intermediate and Type I density, which had about the same slow sink rate. They had normal green plastic coating, and were not at all kink-prone. Translucent clear finishes are great, but I never noticed fish fleeing in terror from the old school lines. With proper leaders of normal length, there wasn't much visual presence.

New lines from Rio, Airflo and others have intriguing dual-density tapers and heads. I haven't tried them. But I know the old slow sinking lines were less chemically complex, and generally better behaved.:rolleyes:

GAT and troutpocket like this.
  3. jwg

jwg Active Member

The Airflo.lines are my pick
    The polyurethane chemistry is superior to the old PVC chemistry still used by most line manufacturers
    This seems particularly true in the clear lines, where some of the PVC lines are prone to coiling and memory
    issues
    That's my opinion, others mileage may vary.

4. chief

chief Active Member

I have a clear Cortland line and a Rio Aqualux lake line. The Cortland definitely has more memory and tangles more. It may just be my perception, but I think the Rio breaks the surface tension better and sinks slightly faster than the Cortland. They are both good lines, but, moving forward, my gear whoring will favor the Rio lines.

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Convinced me. My next clear, intermediate sinking line will be a Rio.

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Last weekend Irafly (a.k.a. Director of the Bobber Lovers Chamber of Commerce) was getting some very good results with his Aqualux. I swore off clear lines four years ago and haven't had a reason to go back . . .but every once in a while I can't replicate the results with my hover line. My gripe with all clear lines is tangling/memory/handling, particularly in cold weather.