Intermediate lines!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by WA-Fly, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Well, hell. If you're using a thousand dollar depth finder the FB can't compare to that!

The detail is good enough for me with the FB. I just want to know the depth and possible structure and if there are any fish around or if I'm just fishing in a bathtub. If the lake is deep and the fish are holding on the bottom, I know to use my full fast sinking line... I'm wasting my time if I'm trying an intermidiate sinking or dry line.

2. Back to the discussion on Denny Rickards :)

Saw him today while working at ISE and told him we were making fun of him on the internet. His face fell and he asked what people were saying.

"Keep your damn rod tip in the water!"

He threw his head back and laughed. I think it made his day.

Jeff Dodd, GAT and troutpocket like this.
  3. :D:D I knew he had a sense of humor. The comment is his trademark.

I don't have a trademark .. dang it.

4. I posted last week or so about a new fly line needed. I did some research and read old threads. I still have questions for 6wt lines?

I have a floating line and a type 2 sinking line. Should i get a deep sinking line type VI? It sounds like the type 2 sinking line is really close to an intermediate line... i dont need two lines close in range, so i was thinking about the deep sink line.
    Is the intermediate line better because its clear and the type 2 is solid green?

thanks for the input again guys... it really helps getting info from good sources.

5. I have been itching to get the new line, just dont know which way to go. I will be using the new line for trolling lakes for trout, and anchor fishing( cast and strip). So..... let me hear the reasoning behind the line you think i need.:D

6. Well, if you read up on the old threads, you saw that most lake guys carry a floater, intermediate (or type 2), and a fast sinker. Fish that green type 2 until you decide it's not meeting your needs.

Of the popular "intermediate" lines on the market, the SA stillwater and Rio Aqualux are essentially type 2 sinkers. The cortland clear camo and Rio Hover are "true" intermediates that sink <1" per second. Is there a difference? Yup. Does it matter? Depends who you ask :)

You certainly should get a fast sinker. I started carrying one 4 years ago . . . whole new game.

7. For trout, I have an intermediate slime line (Type I), a Type II, and a Type IV and a Deep Water Express. If I were to do it over again I'd eliminate the Type II and IV and get a III. This last year I've gone to using the slime line or IV almost exclusively in lakes. I control the depth by the amount of line I have out and the speed of stripping. I don't think you need much more. A type I, III, and VI would be a great setup.

The Deep Water Express is handy for inflows or a few situations where you need to get down to 30' or so. For me that's either when there's a deep inflow with current, or kokanee. I hate the stuff but need it a couple of times a year. A Type VI would do it with lead added.

8. I don't think Intermediate is close to Type II, but may be just me. If I fish lakes where the fish are cruising more shallow, I will use Intermediate, however, if there is wind and I am being moved or even chop on the surface, I will switch to the Type II. Also, how much line you have out will make a difference. I generally cast 60 or so feet, then peel line off while kicking backwards. When I get to where I am seeing backing then I start stripping.
    I feel during warmer months a faster sinking line is the game changer. I am a firm believer in a Deep 6 or 7. I use knot sense and put a dot on the line at 20', 30', 45' 60'. Type 7 is great for stripping streamers when fish are deep and also for Chironomiding (the reason I mark the line)
    I say your floating can cover the Intermediate needs, just use longer leaders and heavy flies. Type II all around great. Try counting down as well.

tkww likes this.
  9. Floating lines are not a good substitute here for a sinker, mainly because it tends to get tangled in the kayak paddles from the nature lovers who took a course in lake touring and like to get nice and close to us when they are trekking their one mile sightseeing tour.

You can find light grappling hooks that can be tossed 30 or 40 feet and with a speedy retrieve can connect well to a $2000 kevlar ocean kayak that will never see anything but an urban lake. Half J/K.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  10. Issue with a floating line is depending on how heavy the flies are you will create a hinge effect on a strip, as the line moves on the strip and the streamer comes up in the water column while moving forward.
    With the intermediate debate there are 0.5ips lines (Rio Hover) and some places market a 1.5-2.0ips as a fast intermediate or just an intermediate (Rio Aqualux/SA Stillwater).
    Funny thing about the Rio Camolux I own is that you can turn it into a floating line by adding a line dressing.

As for fishing I was using a Type III uniform this fall in around 9 feet or so of water, once my whole line had sunk (great method...) I would start striping. Advantage over the Intermediate is I can get more casts in a set amount of time, however not all lakes are deep enough.
    However I find myself using the Intermediate in competitions, but that was because it was for an 8# and I could cast further while the type III was in a 6#.

11. Funny thing about the Rio Camolux I own is that you can turn it into a floating line by adding a line dressing.

I imagine you could add Xink to few feet of floating. Or the Sink tips that are available. I have Cortland Camo and I do use it, but got to admit, I have met my match on occasion by fellow anglers using a Floating line with long leaders. If I didn't have Intermediate, I would be just fine with the floating. The rising fly on the strip is not a bad thing. Try Boobie flies on a sinking line/ Granted they dive when strip, but the rise on the pause is fantastic. I tried trolling by rowing. The fish hit as I lift the oars meaning the drop of the fly on waited nymphs and the rise of the Boobie. I think the movement makes a difference. Love to hear what you all think.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  12. I love the dry line and long leaders for fish 4 to 5 feet deep and higher. I'm usually never fishing a leader shorter than 14 feet anyway on my dry lines so it's easy to just put a light weighted softy or nymph on. I do it for the exact reason you mention Blue, the rise on the strip!

Lighter weighted flies for just subsurface when I'm doing this I usually put another piece of tippet on (lighter) for better sink rate of a lighter weighted fly making my leaders around 16 feet!

13. I remember when a 25' leader was the standard at Craine Prairie. I guess it's mostly indicator fishing now. Haven't made the trip for a couple of years, will be coming up this year because we've got no water down here.

14. We lake anglers love our specialty lines, eh? My preference for fishing in the top 2-3' is a clear intermediate tip line with a 10-12' tapered leader. I have a 3' clear sinktip line that I fished at Henry's Lake in September near the state park. The water was down several feet from my last visit and I was ticking bottom on long casts with my Rio Hover. I caught fish using an unweighted stillwater nymph pulled on short strips. The overall water depth was around 4-5' with lots of weeds coming up to near the surface. Could I have done the same thing with a floater? Maybe.

15. I primary use a floating line just add split shots to get it down after putting one or four or five shots not getting down fast enough I attach one of those tear drop lead weights to the leader man does that get down quick in some cases have been know to bonk a few trout on the head knock them out float to the top I scoop them up revive them another fish to my count sure add fun to a slow day

Irafly likes this.

16. I would say yes, as I was with someone that did it. I like my different sink rate line BECAUSE I hate to weight the flies. Even my bead heads are just regular metal not Tungsten. I have caught a lot of chunks at Henry's on my Intermediate. More on a Type II.

I hate using split shot, I would rather use a sink tip or sinking leaders, but that is just me, but split shot definitely works.

I like the Hover too;) With all the specialty lines comes more reels/spools. Sounds good to me.

17. Does anyone know if the Rio OBS integrated shooting lines are density compensated--like the SA Uniform Sink? I use both a fast sinker and a floater on my 8 wt. for Stripers, and I LOVE those lines. They are available in a 6 wt. If I thought they would perform as well as the US lines I'd totally replace them. Getting out 80' is easy and the running line is gentle on the retrieve.

18. I have the floater
    I have the type II full sink( which is close enough to an intermediate sink rate)

I am going with a type VI full sinking line.

Thanks to those that responded to my question, and to those that rambled on about something else..... i thank you for the entertainment value of your post.

Jeff Dodd and troutpocket like this.
  19. I can't answer your question about density compensation. But I've been fishing the Outbound Hover line for several years and it's great for stillwater. Mine is a 5wt.

20. Long leader, weighted flies and an indicator, fish it right where you want it period. Just saying!