Intro spey set-up

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Thanks everyone again. It looks like I'll be implamenting all of your advice at the clave and come home with the beginnings of my future bankraupcy.
  2. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Funny stuff......true but funny. :D
  3. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Skwala,
    I agree with the "don't buy anything until after the CW clave" comments above. You'll have an opportunity to wiggle many and talk with others regarding lines and styles etc. It should be a really good time.

If you are going to just start with one rod I really think you should look at a the lighter end. Rods in the 12' 6" - 13' 6" and the 6/7 wt class would be where I would start. You'll be able to cover lots of water and handle tips of all lengths and densities and have a rod that will not be overkill for the 'a' runs or the Ronde. TFO makes a really sweet 12' 6" 6wt that is one of the gems of their series that would be a great (and affordable!) rod that would fit the bill nicely. Check it out when you're on the water in a couple of weeks.

Also, can't recommend the Red Shed Fly Shop highly enough. Customer service is hands down the finest in the business. Mike has earned my business and continues to do so...

Take care,

Chris

P.S. Fair warning...this gets addicting! :thumb:
  4. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Adam,

Like William, I've been using a 2-hander exclusively for steelhead since 1993 and I'm in complete agreement with him on rods. Anyone desiring to get into 2-hand rods and spey casting really needs to test drive (cast) rods of the same length that have different actions; otherwise, it will be very unlikely you will be happy with the rod after a short time. Steve also has lots of very good solid advice in his response on line wt and belly lengh. A newcomer should never even consider using a long-belly line (75'-100' belly length) because it takes very good technique to aerialize and cast them, which a beginner by definition will not have. Beginning spey casters should look at short-belly (RIO Windcutter, SA Short Spey, Delta Spey) lines with belly lengths of around 55', or mid-belly lines (RIO MidSpey, SA Mastery Spey, Delta Long Spey) with belly lengths of around 65'.

I own rods from 13' to 18' (William got to cast this beast in April when we fished together) and fish all of them on different water types and river sizes. All of my rods are of the faster, stiffer action (T&T, Loomis, and a new Meiser Highlander Series) because that is what I like. The first 2-hander I bought was a Sage 9140-4 and I didn't like it at all because it is among the slowest, softest actioned 2-handers on the market. I sort of made it work for me for 3 years until I had the chance to cast faster rods. After casting the faster, stiffer rods, I went out and bought a T&T 1611 for winter and a Loomis 13' GLX for summer, I still own both and have added 3 more fast, stiff rods to my arsenal (a 15' 10wt, a 16' 9wt, and an 18' 11 wt).

Keep in mind that I like long rods (I'm also 6'3"); but that doesn't mean you should look at one. My point in telling you what I own and use is for you to see that different folks like different things. That is why it is so important to try several rods of the same length and line rating that have different actions.

Scott,

If you are planning on using the winter rod on the Sky, Sauk, Skagit, you might be better off with a 15' 10wt because it will let you more easily cover those sometimes distant lies.
  5. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Great Words of Wisdom

Just a few notes.
    If at all possible learn to cast (switch Cast Mainly) before you buy a rod.
    This will give you a chance to try several action, rod lengths and lines before you plunk down your hard earned money.
    This is the Reason River Run Anglers Pioneered the Try before you buy Idea.
    I had found and still find today many people buy what they thought they need or were told that they needed.

Rod length is a funny thing.
    Scale the rod for the river you will fish the most.
    I prefer to start casters on 13.6 to 14 ft rod somewhere 7/8/9 weights but this does not mean that this is the weigh or length of rod that you have to buy just learn to cast on..
    You can learn on any length some things just make it easier.
    The reason being this is that the longer the rod the more forgiving the timing and have a little more feel.

As for line length this is what I have and of recommend learn to cast with about 31/2 or 4-rod lengths of floating line less the leader. This will give you plenty of line to get your anchor set and still load the rod for the cast.

If you get a chance to go to the Clave on the Clearwater do and learn.
    Leave your mind open

:cool: