intruder colours

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by square tail, Jan 21, 2007.

1. square tail Member

vancouver british columbia
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    with lots of talk about intruders on the site i was courious what everybody favourite colours are and do they need to be tied with eyes all the time thanks for all the help:thumb:
  2. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    What's a clouser? What's a prince nymph? Those flies have accepted definitions. Based on the original published intruder the definition is:

to be an intruder it has to have eyes.
    to be an intruder it has to have a trailing hook, preferably small in relation to the body size
    to be an intruder it has to have pheasant tail for the hackle
    to be an intruder it has to have grizzly hackle for side wings
    to be an intruder it has to have ostrich herl for a tail

If it doesn't have these things it isn't an intruder. It may be a good fly. It may OUTFISH an intruder. But it isn't an intruder. It's a HAF (Huge Assed Fly). Intruders are HAFs but not all HAFs are intruders. You can tie a "rhea intruder" or an "Amhearst intruder", or a "bunny intruder", or whatever you want, but to be fair you should qualify it. Just like a "marabou clouser", "bead head prince nymph", etc.

Colors. I like the usual suspects. Black. Purple. Brown and Orange (what I like to think of as "Natural"), Orange. Pink. Pink and Chartreuse. Chartreuse. White. Anything other than black, purple and brown and I like the colors to be fluorescent. If there were fluorescent black I would use that!

Intruder Nazis Unite!
  3. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.

So according to your definition of an intruder Ed Ward's published pattern is not an intruder. Did you mention to Ed he doesn't know what he is tying;)
    Regards,
  4. Philster New Member

Are you sure? Most of the intruder patterns floating around are from Jack Cooks website. They are a "simplified" version that will put just as many fish on the beach I'm sure. I'd like to see where Ed doesn't use those materials.
  5. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
  6. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Philster's right - check Dec's book or the article in Fish & Fly for an "actual" Intruder.

There are plenty of simplified copies because a true Intruder takes a LOT of time to tie.

Hell, I expect Ed himself will be tying simplified Intruders in a few years. :cool:

Tight Lines!

DS
  7. Philster New Member

That's a jack cook version. Jack has really been at the forefront in bringing more exotic feathers into mundane patterns. He has some beauties too. His website has some cool step by step photo walkthroughs! I personally really appreciate the time he has put in to make those available. He also has some of the best prices around on some of those exotic feathers. His techniques and material use inspired the creation of my favorite personal creation for steelies. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...to=11886&cat=500&perpage=15&sort=1&ppuser=134
  8. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Cool. Nice fly. From teh sounds of it, I think I'll stick with Jack's version, those others are too time consuming!
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +703 / 5
    I have a copied post somewhere written by Ed himself on the pattern (hopefully it's on this computer, not on my last one that crashed).

I too tie my own style of "intruders". Not sure what to call it. But I heavily simplified them myself. Look similiar, but with variations to tie them quicker (since I lose alot of them in some of the slots I fish). Guess you'd call them "Jerry's simplified intruders" at that point. LOL.

I like the traditional color I first read about (the orange with black highlights). I've had TONS of success with one tied with shades of pink in it. Purple/black has worked wonders too. I tie mine though on tubes.
  10. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    Thanks for the references to the fly as tied by Ed. It would seem that like the Clouser the Intruder may have passed from a fly pattern to a fly style.

Regards,
  11. Rick Baerg addicted

Chilliwack, BC
    OMG! Have you guys heard the term, the only rule is, "there are no rules" You can do many things with and Intruder! That's whats so fun about tying! Lets not get too carried away here! :D
  12. Philster New Member

My only reason for pointing out the rules is to avoid the "magic pattern" syndrome and to give credit where it is due. After awhile the answer to "what did ou catch it on?" becomes "an intruder", only that answer gives you NO information because the pattern has become so diluted it could have been caught on anything over 3 inches!

As to giving credit where it is due, I don't think William Shakespeare wants credit for the Romeo and Juliet movie with Jet Li and that rapper chick...:hmmm:
  13. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Like most art, concepts are borrowed from previous generations artists and adapted into a new architecture or painting technique, same for fly designs. As for colors the darks and flouro colors for me, but don't forget white also.

Actually I fish more large articulated sculpin patterns than intruders, like these out in the GLs for trout, salmon, and steelhead:

:beer2: ;)

BG

[IMG]

[IMG]