Intruder Jig?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Befishin, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Befishin Member

Montesano, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    006.JPG Tied up a couple of intruder patterns for my steelhead float next week but ran out of hooks. So I grabbed a couple of jig hooks. They seem to work ok as far as the construction but I'm wondering how they"re going to swim and if the hook is too far forward and I'll be missing those 20lb hook ups. What'd think?
  2. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    tie them with a stinger
  3. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +134 / 0
  4. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I'd say neither mono or braid. I've been using wire and like it better. The hook stays straight out.
  5. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    If I'm not fishing a tube or stinger for deep sunk wet fly patterns, it is usually a 60 degree jig hook, usually smaller summer, fall wet fly patterns. Always tied with some kind of weight to help the 60 degree jig hook swim with a upturned hook point.

A favorite weight set up for 60 degree jig hooks is using brass beads, hematite beads mounted onto heavy duty sewing pins and escutcheon pins tied parallel to the hook shank.

There are many benefits for 60 degree jig hooks for deep sunk wet fly patterns. More snag less and the hook up to land ratio is very good, usually hooked in the upper jaw, hinge.

GG
  6. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +180 / 0
    Looks like that'd be easier to cast than some of those half-chicken monstrosities that some people call flies...with all of that marabou, it'll swim really well as well.

Btw, all missed hook-ups are of the 20lb variety...
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Oooooh, great fly for hanging under an indicator. Makes sure to let it swing at the end of the drift.
  8. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    I have used "jigs" under an indicator for years. Just don't call it by that name around certain social circles and your life will be easier, as some people aren't very accepting.
    Dan Cuomo, Irafly and PfleugerPhister like this.
  9. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +423 / 0
    For sure, some people take their fishing very seriously!
    Jeremy Floyd likes this.
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Good looking fly.
    I've been tying quite a few patterns lately with 60 degree jig hooks. A non-slip loop gives a nice jiggy action.
    If you tie stingers and cut the front hook, the Eagle Claw 413 hook is a good option. They run $7 -$8 per hundred pack. They are cad / tin plated so they work excellent for salt use as well.
    Richard Torres likes this.
  11. Befishin Member

Montesano, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I watched the youtube on how to rig the stinger but he talks about keeping the hook up or down. How does he keep it one way or the other? Did he weight the tube fly some how?
  12. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    This is what I prefer.
    If using barbell eyes like on your fly and tying a stinger, eyeballs should ride down, hook point should ride up.
  13. soundflycaster Member

Mossyrock, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    If it is a cone head, dumbell eyes, bead chain eyes or ball head it is the sames as a jig head. I know that it is not PC to call it that but it is what it is. In a pinch I have tied "flies" on lead head jigs that I use for bass fishing and they work just fine for steelies under an indicator (bobber).