intruder shanks...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by pirate, Jan 28, 2013.

  1. pirate Member

    Posts: 64
    Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I was just wondering, what do other tiers use for shanks when tying intruders? It seems like Waddington shanks have been discontinued... so i've been looking for an alternative before i run low on my supply of shanks. If you're using a hook, what do you use to cut it?
  2. S Fontinalis Active Member

    Posts: 463
    Ratings: +180 / 0
    Senyo intruder shanks or flymen shanks
  3. Brandon4455 Bobber Down!

    Posts: 68
    Western oregon
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    you can use bolt or wire cutters to cut hooks. thats what i do.
    kelvin likes this.
  4. kelvin Active Member

    Posts: 2,012
    Ratings: +285 / 0
    I use hooks

    cut the points off so you dont cut yourself while tying
  5. 0101tj Member

    Posts: 39
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Cut your waddington shanks opposite of the break in the shank and you will double your supply one eye will be straight and one bent thoe
  6. Big E Moderator

    Posts: 1,431
    Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
  7. 0101tj Member

    Posts: 39
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    50 for the price of 25 will last a little longer if you don't live next to the fly shop!
  8. Tacoma Red Active Member

    Posts: 605
    Ratings: +300 / 0
  9. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

    Posts: 682
    Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    I've been using Senyo's as well. I think they're like $7-8 for 20. Kind of expensive, but I like them so far.
  10. cmann886 Active Member

    Posts: 421
    Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    If you want to go real cheap, use cotter pins--- I generally buy cheap hooks and use lineman pliers to cut the hook off of the shank, but generally cut it after tying---easier for me to grip the hook than a shank...
  11. speyfisher Active Member

    Posts: 1,056
    State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    3" hairpins, round wire, available @ beauty supply stores, cheap! S.S. Amish hairpins, fleabay.
  12. Brian Thomas Active Member

    Posts: 802
    Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I`ve been using hairpins recently as well . I like them .

    BTW ... I was told that Mustad are now producing Waddingtons again .
  13. Flyborg Active Member

    Posts: 2,299
    Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    I've been tying my fancier stuff on the new Senyo shanks. I've tried wire forms but don't like how flexible they are. The bulk of my flies still get tied on cotter pins which you can get for around 2 cents a piece in various sizes.