intruder shanks...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by pirate, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I was just wondering, what do other tiers use for shanks when tying intruders? It seems like Waddington shanks have been discontinued... so i've been looking for an alternative before i run low on my supply of shanks. If you're using a hook, what do you use to cut it?

2. Senyo intruder shanks or flymen shanks

3. you can use bolt or wire cutters to cut hooks. thats what i do.

kelvin likes this.
  4. I use hooks

cut the points off so you dont cut yourself while tying

5. Cut your waddington shanks opposite of the break in the shank and you will double your supply one eye will be straight and one bent thoe

6. 50 for the price of 25 will last a little longer if you don't live next to the fly shop!

7. I've been using Senyo's as well. I think they're like $7-8 for 20. Kind of expensive, but I like them so far.

8. If you want to go real cheap, use cotter pins--- I generally buy cheap hooks and use lineman pliers to cut the hook off of the shank, but generally cut it after tying---easier for me to grip the hook than a shank...

9. 3" hairpins, round wire, available @ beauty supply stores, cheap! S.S. Amish hairpins, fleabay.

10. I`ve been using hairpins recently as well . I like them .

BTW ... I was told that Mustad are now producing Waddingtons again .

11. I've been tying my fancier stuff on the new Senyo shanks. I've tried wire forms but don't like how flexible they are. The bulk of my flies still get tied on cotter pins which you can get for around 2 cents a piece in various sizes.