intruder time!!

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by stilly stalker, Oct 28, 2010.

1. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +427 / 0
    Tied a few of these babys up this afternoon. Winter steel... Im ready for you!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I feel the green could really do some damage, nice fly.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,501 / 9
    Those are all sick.
  4. Wes Telyea Member

PNW
    Nice! What are you using to connect the hook to the fly?
  5. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    oh yea. $$$$$$ flies.
  6. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    30 lb maxima ultragreen. Doubled over. Super glue reinforced/wrapped around the 25 mm waddington shank
  7. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Nice! I really like the blue one, but they are all sweet! Funny how different colors really appeal to the fisherman.. flies catch the fisherman first, then the fish if you're lucky or really good!
  8. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +243 / 0
    Those look great. I've been drooling over Intruder tying videos online for weeks, but I haven't had the time to put hook (or tube in my case) to vice. Maybe this wet weekend, with blown rivers.

Steve
  9. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    If YOU are confident in the fly you are fishing it really affects everything. So if theres a color combo you think is "lucky" it will be.
    Steelheading is all about preserving that eternal optimism....or its blatant masochism, I haven't decided which yet.
    I think in summer its optimism, but in winter...
  10. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Very cool looking flies. I am new to the fly tying thing. One day I hope to tie these
  11. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Those will absolutely not work! You should send them to me so that I can dispose of them properly. Good job! Nice intruders! What kind of dubbing did you use around the eyes?
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    angel hair
    sandspanker- they are easy to tie. just do it!!

The most important step in this fly to me is the SUPER GLUE REINFORCEMENT OF THE WRAPPING KEEPING YOUR STINGER HOOK ON!!!

The first batch of these I tied up this year did not have it... And I lost 3 fish I wouldnt have because they pulled the whole stinger hook and line off the fly! And right in front of other fisherman at deer creek too. Wanna know how pissed at myself I was?
  13. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +69 / 2
    That's a bummer about the stinger pulling out! Nice looking flies.... I would live to tie these even though I don't even fish for winter runs, but buying all those died grizzly capes, etc. sort of raises the entrance barrier on these flies. Some day though. Nice ties!!
  14. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Thanks!
  15. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    They are my go to early summer steel flies, and make killer bass flies too! The only pricey material on these is the amherst pheasant feathers. the rest is super cheapo stuff. I don't use cape feathers, just ostric herl, marabou, schlappen, amherst , krystal flash, and angel hair

16. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    sweet ties I'll take 2 dozen
  17. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +689 / 5
    I tie a simplistic intruder. Plus, I tie mine on tubes. Cheap, fast, easy change outs. If you're swinging, that fly rides by the hook though I do add the tubing for the hook at times. Those are some money flies that's for sure. But I agree, it's all about confidence. I've said it once, said it a few thousand times on threads about "hot flies". Have two buddies I used to fish with alot. We all caught some nice steel in a slot on the Hoh. All had COMPLETELY different flies, different colors, but were all our "go to" flies. If you have confidence, I think you fish the fly harder and more thoroughly.

[IMG]
  18. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    $10 each, $100 a dozen,

19. Greg Arcara Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Loves these intruders, any tips on tying this specific pattern?
  20. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0