Intruders, round two

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Steve Knapp, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Here's a couple after taking your advice, trailers shortened up, and over all a bit cleaner.

DSCN1997 (800x600).jpg DSCN2003 (800x600).jpg DSCN2002 (800x600).jpg DSCN1999 (800x600).jpg DSCN2005 (800x600).jpg

yuhina and Pat Lat like this.
  2. Those look real good dry but, how well do they stay up when wet?

3. Nice, very nice and fishy

4. I've dragged them around the bathtub and they held their shape really well. I'm not gonna tie any more until I get to the river, and give them a good test in current. Tough to keep them sparse, but also bulky. I know if I really bulk up the arctic fox, they'll hold their shape for sure, but then they would be huge, so still finding my way.

5. Steve, those should work great!! I think they'll hold there shape fine but you'll have to fish them to know for sure.
    The colors look really fishy and the stinger length looks good. Let us know how they work.

6. so is the fox or deer hair used just to hold the marabou or ostrich out so you get more play and flutter ?
    and to give it some bulk ?

7. Those look better! Try to use a little less material if you can get away with it, makes it sink better and move better. Stuff like small heads and smooth bodies will come with practice.
    Nice work and keep at it!!

Max.

8. Thanks guys. It's tough to get a small head with all the material added at the front of the fly. I am using a much smaller thread on the orange fly, and that helped a lot.

Ya, the idea is to get a nice full, bulky look without a huge, heavy fly thats doesn't sink well and is tough to cast. Or so I'm told.

9. I've seen Intruders that call for some deer hair for winging (for lack of a better word). I think to add bulk. I have made a few and they want to FLOAT. Don't get it?!?!

10. I think the deer hair intruders (I think Ed Wards intruder used spun deer hair) originally used dumbell eyes as well.

11. Yes. They look awesome as well. I just don't like the way they fish. The ones here - with the diamond braid or similar body - should sink like a rock. I have found that what Jeff B. has noted - looking good in the vise doesn't mean looking good in the water. These ties look good to me! Nice colors - nice proportions - etc.

12. I'm not a big fan of the dumbell eyed intruders either.

13. I don't mind the dumbells - but I've tied a lot of intruders and am not yet set on the best way to do it

14. They look good dry but I have to wonder what they look like with a 15 pound buck steelhead attached to them

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  15. All right, I finally got out on the water today and started swinging with the spey rod for the first time... I can already tell that I'm going to be addicted.

I did try out about half of the flies I've tied to see how they held up. I was very happy, they held a nice big profile with plenty of movement, sank really well, and were easy to cast. I do think I could build up the fox tail, not in length, but in bulk. I'm going to keep playing. Obviously until I actually sting a steelhead sometime in 2015 everything will be guesswork.

16. Right on. The blue one looks money!