Invasive Species Resistant Wading Boots

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by s2ary, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Simms is making a big announcement for this stuff in mid September. I use aquastealth now, but would love an option that grips better. Should be interesting.

2. I wonder what the difference, between felt and this new compound, would be as regards actual production of them? Which is more enviroment friendly from that aspect?
    I do understand the problems associated with invasive species transfer by fiber such as felt, and have no argument with that. Precaution is the watch-word, bleach is the remedy.
    But, it might be interesting to know the enviromental trade-off's, between the actual production processes, of felt and this product.
    Felt, is not much used in hiking, climbing or biking activities as this new compound will be.
    Purely from a flyfishing point of view, and previous experience, I doubt that anything composed of rubber could hope to be as effective a non-slip agent as felt has proven to be, however, I am open to the idea.
    In the mean time I'll stay with felt. I'm not a world traveler, sorry to say, so my boots are only used in local rivers. I'll let others foot the bill so-to-speak and listen to their recomedations after putting these new compounds to the test.

LB

3. Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. My opinion of current sticky rubber soles is that they are -- well -- pretty much useless. I don't think that many folks will switch from felt unless the new soles are much, much better than the existing ones or (as is apparently scheduled to happen in New Zealand) felt soles are outlawed.

4. While a good first step, rubber soled wading shoes are not a substitute for clean, dry and inspect. New Zealand did not officially ban felt soles, the Prime Minister did not sign the legislation.

When California’s Fish & Game folks tested the hitchiking capabilities of the New Zealand Mudsnail they sent volunteer anglers on a short wade, discovering that mudsnails adhered to laces, gravel guards, boot tongues… pretty much everywhere.

http://tinyurl.com/6qckew

5. For now I have the luxury of having three pairs of boots.
    One for lakes, no studs.
    Two for river fishing which I alternate so they dry for at least two weeks between uses.
    Realistically how many people actually even consider the possibility of transfer from one body of water to another? How many actually make any proactive decisions?
    It only takes one to do the deed. The inevitable is inevitable.

Peter

6. This was the big news when I went to take a look at the new Simms goods for next year. I'm going to see if I can't get a demo pair and try them out on slippery ol' Rock Creek next month. I'll give you all my thoughts on how Vibram compares to felt.

7. I use the Cloudveil boots that have aquastealth. Not only do they not pick up critters, they don't freeze up lke felt does.