Iridescent Green bettle "Hatch"?????

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Golden Trout, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Golden Trout Active Member

Ratings: +36 / 0
    Have fished this lake for 40 years and have never been aware of a beetle hatch. The odd beetle, bee, flying ant, etc. but never in the numbers that I witnessed this morning.

The beetle had an iridescent green wing and a dark brownish/blacking underside. About one quarter of an inch in length hundreds of them on the surface. I did not see any fish on them because I believe the fish were preoccupied with the daily damsel factory. If the damsels would not have been there, it might have gotten interesting.

Quesitons:
    1. Do you suppose these beetles were aquatic and thus an actual hatch?
    2. What might the underwater stage look like?
    3. Has anyone encountered these critters in these hatch-like numbers?
    4. Has anyone seen fish actively surfacing for these beetles?
    5. Do you have an immature representation?
  2. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +111 / 0
    Hi Golden Trout-

I am not aware of any aquatic beetles with iridescent green wings. Which of these photos did it most resemble?
  3. Golden Trout Active Member

Ratings: +36 / 0
    Top row, 2nd in from the left comes very close.
  4. Tony Tony

Ratings: +54 / 0
    Too bad the fish didn't get on them,one early evening at lenice the wind picked up and blew these nickel sized beetles out of the trees and it became a feeding frenzy I've never seen anything like it ever, I didn't have anything even close to a pattern to match but it really didn't matter anything that touched the water in that area was instantly grabbed, it only lasted an hour but it was fantastic
    Tony