Iridescent Minnow

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Kerfwappie, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Media:
    I've been playing around with this iridescent plastic I pilfered from my wife's gift wrapping station. It comes wrapped around a piece of copper wire. When you peel it off you end up with a cool looking, crinkly sheet of plastic that's fold able. Anyway, this is something that I came with. What do you think? I don't know what the fish think yet, might get to try it this afternoon.

Eric
    irridescent minnow 005.jpg irridescent minnow 007.jpg irridescent minnow 009.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Looks interesting....Is it folded over and tied in at the head? The twisted rope might make a nice minnow body if you can get the wire out without untwisting:hmmm:

3. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Media:
    Yes, it's creased down the middle and cut to taper. Then the forward corners are folded over paper airplane style, and tied at the point. From below, it looks like gill plates.

Eric

4. Stephen Butter

Stephen Butter Member

Very Nice!. The fly looks outstanding. A colleague has share some bulk silk fibers that she uses for spinning yarn. It is pretty good looking stuff. Have tied some dubbed bodies with it but haven't given them the water and fish test yet.

5. Jerry Knudson

Jerry Knudson New Member

I have used this same material for wings on housefly, cranefly, dragonfly patterns. You can find it without the wire also. It is called Raffia Ribbon. I happened to find mine at a Goodwill and only endeded up with about a foot of it.. If your going to buy a normal roll of it, it wouldn't hurt to go in with someone, you will have enough for a lifetime.

It is pretty cool stuff, havn't tried it for bodies though...Looks like that will be my next use from the results youve shown us.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    E, awesome and creative tie as usual. Every fly of yours that I've seen is killer.

7. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

The fly looks good .

I use the same material for shellbacks on scuds and have had good results , BUT , I bought the material from a fly shop for about 3 bucks for a 8 x 4" piece . Yikes . Time to schedule a trip to Michaels .

8. flyfishn

flyfishn Member

Home Page:
    Just add a rattle or two. Great Job.

Brock

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    That dog oughtta hunt. It will be interesting to see if the finish will stay on the product; often I find that to be the weakness of (non fly shop) flash material. I've used Christmas garland and what not for flash, to find that it doesn't hold up in the water and after use. Hope your fare better!

I really like and appreciate your ability to identify a potential product and skills to utilize it in a pattern. Great job!