Irish Trout Flys

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Davy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Here are some of the trout flys I have recieved from a pro-tyer in Ireland this winter. I have been trading flys with him in preparation for our trip there.

Interesting fishing and patterns I would say.Alot of wets.

A few of the names are;

RED ARSED PETER, GREEN PETER , GREEN ARSED PETER, ROGANS EXTRACTOR, PEARLY MAY, CLARET DABBLER, GOLDEN OLIVE BUMBLE, CLARET BUMBLE, MELVIN OLIVE I MELVIN OLIVE 2 , DARK OLIVE, OLIVE MAY , ORANGE TAILED CLARET BUMBLE

Davy

Attached Files:

2. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Interesting flies! If it's not too much trouble, do you think you could post a couple of close-up pics of individual flies? I've been curious about the Irish tradition of fly tying and wouldn't mind giving some of the easier patterns a try.
  3. SpeyRodBeBop Member

Mission, British Columbia.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    A decent book that can be found cheaply is "Irish Trout and Salmon Flies" by E.J.Malone. The book has some decent colour plates with dressings for all the flies. It also gives a history of flyfishing/tying in Ireland. Although I have lived in Canada for forty years, I was born and raised outside of Belfast and occasionaly fish there. You are in for a hell of a trip. See the sights--visit the pubs and enjoy the people.
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +681 / 1
    I've a wonderful book at home that show the flies and their materials...I'll try to remember and post the title...
  5. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    My Favorite Irish fly Davy if you have one is a "Goat's Toe", If you don't I have one in my fly pattern db. A couple others I would love to see is any of the Scottish tyer Captian John Kennedy. All the Bumble Patterns are great. . here is a goats toe, thanx for the post Davy, I love the old European patterns:

Attached Files:

6. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    I have that book Trout and Salmon flys of Ireland coming in the mail as we speak. Can't wait.

I will get some close ups posted here in the next day or two.
  7. ceviche Active Member

I can dig the orange antron, but what's the body and the collar hackle?
  8. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Goat's Toe
    • Tag: Gold Tinsel
    • Tail: Red Yarn
    • Body: Peacock Herl
    • Rib: Gold Tinsel w/ red yarn over or floss
    • Hackle: Blue Peacock but can sub pheasant rump

I Think I like the Irish and Scottish flies just for thier names, green peter :rofl:
  9. ceviche Active Member

And then there's "goat's toe"... :eek:
  10. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    heres 4 of them close up- the last photo is a bumble I think--not sure- I have the list but it doesn't correspond to the boxes.

When I get the books I can cross-reference all of them

Davy

Attached Files:

11. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Davy, where in Ireland are you going to fish. Are you fishing lochs for trout and seatrout?
  12. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    most of our time will be on the northcentral western coast, town called (spelling) Enniskillen and river of same name

we will be fishing trout and seatrout, not many salmon in the area I have gathered, and we won't have time to get down south I take it.My stepson and his soon to be wife were there for a week scouting the wedding plans and in 2 hours of fishing near our castle he caught numerous ( he said 16 or 17)trout with 7 over 20" .He has become fast friends( smooscher) with the local fly and fishing purveyor.And has some surprises for all the angling guests, apparently as a wedding gift. :thumb: :thumb:

I had booked a salmon guide and a beat ( $550/day for each of us) but when I found out the xtra travel it would require ,I cancelled-basically a day down ,a day to fish and a day back--can't really do that.Not to mention the cost over there of Petrol,LOL.Maybe,, but.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

One of the days is taken by a Limosine chauffered tour up the Antrim coast ( Mussenden Temple, Downhill Estate, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge,and we finish this trip with a tour of Bushmills Distillary), one by an official flyfishing day, one by a golf tourney and one by a wedding--that only leaves 4 days left free.(Official Irish pub crawl is at night,can still fish the day) :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

I am sure we will have a grand time whatever we do.Be nice to get down to Waterford ( I love glass) also but thats south as well.(there is salmon there though I think)

Oh well, pubs, golf, flyfishing,touring history, boating, bird hunting and sport shooting, and good friends. What more is needed? Trip of a lifetime for my wife and I really.

Just the planning and all the books my wife and I have read has been fun.

thanks a heap for all the info people on here have offered

Davy
  13. SpeyRodBeBop Member

Mission, British Columbia.
    Davy, you may be able to get a day on the Bann for salmon, depending on the timing. Also, again depending on timing, a day on the Dollagen on Six Mile Water, near the town of Antrim ( awesome fish that give nothing to salmon or steelhead). Antrim was my home, and the coastline is a mythical place, that once seen. will never be forgotten.